Off Topic a tad-Diamond Valley League | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Off Topic a tad-Diamond Valley League

FightingFury

Its back to Brooke time again!
Nov 25, 2003
Richmond
I have played at various times for Heidelberg and North Heidelberg in the DVFL.
Its still a pretty rough comp IMO,but its not total and complete thuggery anymore.
Heidelberg are a strong club,and as mentioned wear the tiges colors(but dont sing tigerland as a theme song) and have Trevor Barrett (big 4 candidate) as their president and benefactor.They have great facilities and a host of ex-league footballers.
North are a good bunch of guys,but their lair out in the middle of West Heidelberg is not the most idyllic spot! Some of their after game functions are known to get a bit crazy as well.
If he's not fussed by the dollars,he can step into my recently hung up boots down at Ivanhoe in the Ammos.Great club,great blokes,but alas no money and standard is below the DVFL.I would be happy to take him under my wing >:D and the ground is 5 mins from Heidelberg. Go the Hoers!

Chiang Mai Tiger

Time for some Tiger Payback
Jun 17, 2004
Thailand
evo said:
South Morang.Some of the biggest heathens I used to know played for them.Years ago I seem to remember an all in brawl that in volved the crowd as well,similar to the Cairns one last season.

Why don't you get your son to play in a league where they actually play footy instead of commit thuggery Rosey.The EFL.

Rosy, I have to agree with Evo. The DVFL is a great comp but rough as guts ...and yes tatts and missing teeth will help your son if he plays there.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Heidelberg do indeed sing "Tigerland". Have done so for at least 5 years.

lutt

Tiger Rookie
Aug 1, 2004
CMT,
How would you know how rough the DVFL is when you are
thousands of miles away in Thailand.
You will receive more bruises going through customs.

FightingFury

Its back to Brooke time again!
Nov 25, 2003
Richmond
SCOOP said:
Heidelberg do indeed sing "Tigerland". Have done so for at least 5 years.  I am pretty sure I sang it some stage last year, that's right about 60 times after the Grand Final!!! 

They must have changed over to it in the last 10 years then.The old song we sang in juniors,Started as 'we're a special breed of Tiger,we play in the Diamond Valley league' to a completely different tune :don't know

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
TIGERARMY67 said:
Ist Division Standard is very good
2Nd Division standard pretty ordinary
Overall standard is better than the Eastern league
I'm not so sure about that ta67 I think the EFL defeated DVFL in Metro comp in Divs 1&2 last couple of years.
Dvfl standard has dropped a little in past 5 years, It used nto be the strongest metro league 10 or so years back but not so much nowadays.

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne
TT33 said:
TIGERARMY67 said:
Ist Division Standard is very good
2Nd Division standard pretty ordinary
Overall standard is better than the Eastern league
I'm not so sure about that ta67 I think the EFL defeated DVFL in Metro comp in Divs 1&2 last couple of years.
Dvfl standard has dropped a little in past 5 years, It used nto be the strongest metro league 10 or so years back but not so much nowadays.
Disagree,I still believe DVFL is stonger league.Saw Heidelberg play last year.Don't think there would be any or many suburban sides that would beat them.

RfC77

Ju-87 : The original TANK buster
Jun 23, 2004
Narre Warren
Hard to go past noble park, butchered the SFL and now conquered the EFL, this club is a machine that will not stop!!

The Mighty Wozman

RFC '82-'13: "Daydream Nation"
Jul 22, 2004
RfC77 said:
Hard to go past noble park, butchered the SFL and now conquered the  EFL, this club is a machine that will not stop!!

This clubs's history goes back further...Noble Park dominated the Federal League for years, the Southern League and now the Eastern.  I have played against them at under 18 level and senior level and I will say that when we played them it was almost a mini final....  One thing that I will remember about Noble is beating them by one point after the siren in an Under 18s Grand Final (they were undefeated).  I have never really liked them but I will always RESPECT them.  Apart from Vermont, I regard them as one of the best suburban clubs of all time.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Four very strong clubs in EFL 1st Div Noble Park, Vermont, East Burwood [coached by Paul Broderick] & East Ringwood.
Noble ,Vermont & East R/wood have strong social clubs. The Wantirna Hill Club is Vermonts social club situated on Boronia Rd in Wantirna & I would go so far as to say that it is busier than RFC's Wantirna Club.
Mrs TT & I went there for dinner last night & we were told "it,s a good idea to book because we are very busy on monday nights".
We recently went to RFCWantirna club on a monday night & it was nowhere near as busy, but we were very impressed with the meal & service.
The hill club meal was not as expensive but was also very nice.

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne
interested said:
Noble Park would beat any suburban team in Victoria. So much so that they were considered for the VFL this season as the cash-strapped Springvale were looking down the barrel.
Don't agree.I'd be happy to back Heidelberg against them.

lutt

Tiger Rookie
Aug 1, 2004
I am not a Heidelberg supporter but having seen them
play have no doubt they would beat Noble park.

BBC

Here comes the hairdryer.
Feb 16, 2005
Melbourne
An alternative to the Diamond Valley is the amateurs - La Trobe Uni play at the Bundoora campus. I played Club 18 footy out there last year against them and they are not a bad bunch of blokes. Their ground is massive which for 37 year olds is a nightmare but for 20 year olds in the prime of their life could be great.

As you are no doubt aware amateurs is less physical (  :angel:) than most other suburban competitions. The standard of footy is good however and the social side is very social.

Good luck to your son in playing our great native game.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
Did you guys see Barker turned down the Dees for Broadbridges spot  because Vermont are going to pay him 20k$ and give him a car.

I knew they were rich but  find that incredible money for a suburban comp.

Get your son down there Rosy.And fast! :hihi