Off Topic a tad-Diamond Valley League | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Off Topic a tad-Diamond Valley League

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
What's EFL evo?

Whats the pecking order of Melb footy after AFL and VFL?

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
Basically it's the league with all the suburbs south of Bell St. rather than North which is the DVFL.

http://www.efl.org.au/

I don't follow it so much these days but it's probably about  the same standard.

i played for teams in both leagues.The EFL was more abourt playing football IMO where as the DVFL had alot of pretty savage sides.Both are fun.Depends what he 's looking for.

interested

Tiger Superstar
EFL is the highest quality suburban league in Victoria, and it is very very well run and umpired.
Also, the amatuers is normally of high quality, and very well run (i.e. not too many all-in brawls etc.) Good thing about the ammos is that there is always a team nearby - bad this is that although there is a team near you, there is also a team near the bloke 2 hours away too...
EFL would be my choice, Ammos would be 2nd (I umpire for the Amateurs, so I know that it is a very well run competition).

RICHO_12

Tiger Superstar
Jul 1, 2004
I think everyone over rates the physicality of the DVFL.
I too am 20 rosy. Where has your son played before?

Never heard of the EFL, what teams are in it?

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
He's been with Wodonga Raiders in the O&M in the last couple of seasons. Also Wodonga Saints in the Tallangatta (I think) league.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
1965 said:
If it's not on the wrong board why did you tag it "Off Topic"?

Must have been feeling a little guilty?

:hihi :hihi :hihi

Actually just read this again 1965 and although you have some smilies I really can't tell if you are serious or not.

The reason I put Off topic was to alert people it wasn't Richmond/AFL related so those not interested would know not to click on the thread.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
Rosy the physicality of the DVFL now is on par with that of the O&M. It did have a very bad rap up until about 5 years ago but since then it has cleaned up a lot.

I remember being in Albury one weekend with a few blokes who played for Bundoora in the DVFL back in the mid nineties when that huge all in happened between I think Albury and Wodonga. That was scarier than anything any of us had ever witnessed in the DVFL ;).

TrewTIGER

Tiger Renaissance
Nov 9, 2003
Melbourne
Diamond Creek produced half of the Melbourne side that won 6 flags in 10 years (Cordner bros, Compton, etc).
Templestowe (now in EFL) was noted for Bob Syme. People mentioned thuggery - Bob was a champion of it as a coach. Essendon people shuddered when he was hired as assistant to the Reverend John Birt back in the '70s, with such noted players on hand as Rotten Ronnie Andrews to deliver his messages.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
WesternTiger said:
Rosy the physicality of the DVFL now is on par with that of the O&M. It did have a very bad rap up until about 5 years ago but since then it has cleaned up a lot.

My experience in country footy is the dirtier the player the less their ability. The O&M was hard and tough but there wasn't much evidence of thugism in the past 2 years that I followed them. It was very fast, hard, skilful footy. In fact they were often better to watch than Richmond. :'(

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I agree, the bum wraps on the DV leaugue are a bit over the top. You do get the odd whack but I reckon most leauges would still have their nuffies.

If it was as bad as people make out no young players would play there.

Second Division Diamond Valley would be suitable.

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne
jb03 said:
I agree, the bum wraps on the DV leaugue are a bit over the top. You do get the odd whack but I reckon most leauges would still have their nuffies.

If it was as bad as people make out no young players would play there.

Second Division Diamond Valley would be suitable.
I agree with JB,I think a 2nd division club would be more suitable.I would go for South Morang.Despite playing on a cow paddick this year the club's new ground & facilities should make for a good year in 2006.

lutt

Tiger Rookie
Aug 1, 2004
Rosy,
Lower Plenty or South Morang would be good choices.
Kevin Murray ex Fitzroy Brownlow Medalist played at
South Morang. Wouldnt be surprised if he is
still playing.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Thanks so much to all who've replied on this thread and to those who've messaged privately.  Can always count on PREnders to be willing to share information. :hearton

It's been really interesting to learn a bit about Melbourne footy and there's some great info for my son to read through.

tiger_17

Tiger Cub
Nov 21, 2004
Quote from: lutt on Yesterday at 11:07:56 PM
Rosy if your son has tattoos i suggest he will feel
confortable at North Heidelberg

Remember their games have to coincide with day release as well

I know where you are coming from if you're talking about the old days even though I wasnt even born.. Nowadays at North it has really cleaned up.. I've played juniors footy there since 9 and been involved since and just making the step up to senior grades footy there now.. Jason Heatley is back this season and a familiar fit Robbie Powell. It has cleaned up alot and more extended facilities going up now, and yes rosy it is one of the better leagues locally for football of all ages.

TIGERARMY67

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 22, 2003
Ist Division Standard is very good
2Nd Division standard pretty ordinary
Overall standard is better than the Eastern league

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne
tags said:
Quote from: lutt on Yesterday at 11:07:56 PM
Rosy if your son has tattoos i suggest he will feel
confortable at North Heidelberg

Remember their games have to coincide with day release as well

I know where you are coming from if you're talking about the old days even though I wasnt even born.. Nowadays at North it has really cleaned up.. I've played juniors footy there since 9 and been involved since and just making the step up to senior grades footy there now.. Jason Heatley is back this season and a familiar fit Robbie Powell. It has cleaned up alot and more extended facilities going up now, and yes rosy it is one of the better leagues locally for football of all ages.
Agree,Even when I played I always found North okay.We didn't beat them often enough but always had a good drink with them after the game.