Oh Danny Boy (The Age) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Oh Danny Boy (The Age)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Sporting Life.

Oh, Danny boy

As Danny Frawley looks back on a season of what might have been, he can at least boast having survived in the job for four years, such a rare feat that he becomes only the seventh Tiger to have coached more than 90 games. The bad news is that of the elite group, his success rate of 45 per cent - 41 wins from 91 games - is the worst. The other six coaches (with their respective percentage success rate after 91 games) are Dan Minogue (59.3), Checker Hughes (71.4), Perc Bentley (65.9), Jack Dyer (68.1), Tom Hafey (71.4) and Tony Jewell (51.6).

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/09/01/1062403449492.html

Ox

"Waitin' for 05."
Aug 19, 2003
Ha - even Danny Minogue has a better coaching record.
It's great to know that less than mediocre is now the official standard! I used to think Jewell was a joke at 51.6% and if it wasn't for sheeds as assistant and a great list in 1980 we never would have won a flag under him.The 2 of them are hacks. !!

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Interesting figures. We all know Spud's record but I wasn't aware of the exact figures of the others.

If this isn't an endorsement of failure and mediocrity well I don't know what is.

But we don't need figures to explain the blatantly obvious. All we need to do is compare where the club is now in terms of on filed stature to where it was when Splud took over. It's just a no brainer.

RFC not KFC

Tiger Superstar
May 2, 2003
Pagan, Sheedy, Malthouse, Matthews all had winning ratios of over 55% in their first 4 years. Statistics show that 45% after 4 years means you'll never coach a flag.
Maybe one day it will happen but it wont be the potato farmer.

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
At Collingwood, Malthouse has 48 wins from 91 - 52%. Only pips TJ on those figures. Stats don't tell the full story!

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Agree about stats Dean. Some coaches could have very poor stats the first couple of years but improve with time.
There is no doubt Danny's percentage would have been ok the first two years but it's disturbing that it's gone downhill so much the last couple.
Hopefully next year he'll go into the positive again.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Dean3 said:
At Collingwood, Malthouse has 48 wins from 91 - 52%. Only pips TJ on those figures. Stats don't tell the full story!

The big difference Dean is that Collingwood have improved significantly every year under Malthouse and continue to improve. They've already played in one grand final and look likely to play in another this year. He has built the list for sustained success.

Conversely, in exactly the same time frame, Richmond, under Potatohead, have got worse and continue to get worse, and we still have the same over rated hacks running around on big bucks and failing every year.

That's the full story!

RFC not KFC

Tiger Superstar
May 2, 2003
They're not from his 1st four years coaching. On another thread about a month ago I listed all the ratios after the 1st 4 years of successful coaches and Spud was no where near the mark which as I recall was a minimum of 55% for the coaches mentioned.

Malthouse inherited a wooden spoon winning (?) team and turned over the list completely. Four years down the track they've played in a grand final, finished second the following year and can only be said to be on the way. In those 4 years we haven't developed our youngsters, haven't improved our skill level, haven't delisted players who are clearly not up to it, have recruited recycled players who on the whole have been ridiculous (apologies to Staff & Sugar), can't play to a gameplan (if it exists), have failed to recognise how far away from the mark we were even in 2001 and the list goes on. The concern is that if we've failed to change in 4 years there's little reason to believe that Frawley will suddenly have an epiphony and become a the coach we require.

I realise it's all a matter of opinion and I think mine's fairly clear. People are entitled to support Spud but I'm yet to be shown a valid reason for blind faith.

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Fully understand that Ridley, just making the point that stats are all about timing. Take the stats after two years - Frawley 59%, Malthouse 40%. Was Danny a better coach than Malthouse then? And credit where it's due - Danny took a similar list (without Cogs & Johnson) to a prelim final in his 2nd year. Unfortunately we seem to be paying for that, and for continually finishing 9th, now.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Agree with you about the timing Dean but I think a coach needs probably 3-4 years to have the proper impact on a list, just as players need 3-4 years to make their mark at a club.

I was of the thought this time last year that Spud was not the man for us but was prepared to give him another year based on the fact that we had played finals the year before. However, the freefall has been alarming and he's had his chance.

Malthouse inherited a wooden spoon winner and in the space of 3 years he had them playing in a grand final. It was no flash in the pan as they've followed it up this year.

Time to go Spud.

WJP

Tiger Rookie
Jul 28, 2003
VIC
I'm not 100% sure did all those other coaches besides Frawley coach premiership teams?

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Frawely's stats are flattering to his capabilities..............they have been inflated by his early years where the tigers where still playing the gieschen style. As I've said before Geischen was a better coach even though he was a dud also.

g0tigers

carn the mighty tiges
Jun 16, 2003
Victoria, Australia
Dean3 said:
Take the stats after two years - Frawley 59%, Malthouse 40%.
Stats from 2 yrs ago is NOT what im worried about, we cant do anything about the past. the fact is that from that 2nd yr..Micky has coached the pies to the grand final (runners up) last yr and another GF berth on the way this yr.....
We havent even come CLOSE to being in the top 8 let alone a GF.

Ruthless Tigers ?

Tiger Superstar
Aug 10, 2003
Reading Dud's comments on the Official web site he states that the buck stops with him and this indicates clearly that he and he alone is responsible for the woeful record.....SO....why is he not leaving or better still why has he not left?

I agree with one of the threads above that the past cannot be undone....clearly this man is incapable and incompetant as a senior AFL coach. HE MUST GO!

What more must we endure?