Olympics Tokyo 2021 - sport | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Olympics Tokyo 2021 - sport

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Modern Pentathlon - fencing, 200m freestyle, equestrian and then 'laser run' (which seems like glorified laser tag to me). Wtf?
And a cross country run, yes?

Can't say I've ever understood it, really odd random combination of sporting pursuits. Perhaps some historic quirk from the inbred landed gentry is all I can guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Garside was brave but well-beaten by the world champion, who as a Cuban is really a full time professional.

Having watched all his fights, I'd say Garside gets tagged too often to carry his hands that low. And a few times when he did slip Cruz's punch he didn't take the open shot to the body. If he's going to have his lead hand so low I'd like to see him jab more - it's hard for the opponent to pick up when it starts below the waist. At the moment he leads with his left (rear) hand and doesn't use the jab or the lead hook to the body enough.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria

Can't say I've ever understood it, really odd random combination of sporting pursuits. Perhaps some historic quirk from the inbred landed gentry is all I can guess.
It was one of the things de Coubertin pushed for at the start of the whole thing. It combines the elements that a soldier could reasonably be expected to encounter. Riding, fencing, swimming, running and shooting.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
It was one of the things de Coubertin pushed for at the start of the whole thing. It combines the elements that a soldier could reasonably be expected to encounter. Riding, fencing, swimming, running and shooting.
Yes comes from that era when you pretty much had to be landed gentry to get into the officer ranks. You could see it being the type of sport done in institutions that educated that officer class, such as Sandhurst or Saint-Cyr.

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014

Based on my very limited research - it seems that it used to consist of a separate Shooting and Running event, however these have now been combined into a "Laser Run". They seem to run 3.2km and shoot targets with a laser along the way. Bizarre. The Laser Run is on tonight for anyone interested haha.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Having watched all his fights, I'd say Garside gets tagged too often to carry his hands that low.

Absolutely. gets away with it against slower fighters,

But Cruz just kept smacking him in the head.

Put them up and stepped in in the last, so Cruz just upper cut him on the chin at will.

Did well to medal, and unlucky to be on Cruz's side of the draw or I reckon he would have got silver.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Absolutely. gets away with it against slower fighters,

But Cruz just kept smacking him in the head.

Put them up and stepped in in the last, so Cruz just upper cut him on the chin at will.

Did well to medal, and unlucky to be on Cruz's side of the draw or I reckon he would have got silver.
Yeah don’t know much about boxing but I watched him against Borat in the QF and was surprised that he didn’t cover his head with his gloves more.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
These 2 Dutchie Blokes in the Sprint Cycle gold race are every chance to stack with each other in the decider

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Gutsy run over the last 50 odd metres by the anchor for the Belgian mens relay after doing a hamstring by the look of it.

By pushing through to the line he got them qualified to the final.