Olympics Tokyo 2021 - sport | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Olympics Tokyo 2021 - sport

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Thread to discuss the highs and lows and drama that the Olympics bring.... on field, the track, in the pool, the ocean, on the wall, mats, road, court.

Would prefer this to be a sport only thread. If you don't think the games should go ahead then maybe the CV or politics threads are where you could share your views.

One plus for us is the time zone back in our favour.

My perennial hope is for the men's basketball team to land a medal. And the women to knock off the US for gold.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Haven’t really watched the Olympics since Beijing when the time zone was more friendly. But I will be home a lot over the next 2 weeks.

What should I be looking out for in terms of gold medal prospects?

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Just heard on ESPN that 70% of Japanese people do not consider the Olympics can be held safely and are therefore largely against it. Big companies e.g. Toyota are pulling their Olympic ads. No crowds ?

Love the Olympics but this is a bit of faux one.

Reactions: 1 users

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
really looking forward to the break dancing.

Hoping my local team can get some inspiration, been down the bottom for too long

:vomit:vomit:vomit:vomit:vomit:vomit:vomit:vomit:vomit:vomit:vomit:vomit:vomit

Reactions: 1 user

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
The new sports aren't everyone's cup of tea but wrestling has been going since the ancient Olympics and I still don't get it. but wrestling is entrenched in central Asia and US schools and colleges for some reason.... some one from Uzbekistan probably thinks 100m butterfly is a weird pursuit.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Love the gymnastics and athletics. Among favourite events are all the running events (1500m a fav) and the men’s high bar always provides amazing athleticism. The women’s gymnastics floor event, The vault and the rings.
The swimming is good generally because we are a chance to get some medals.
The diving is fun, we all become expert judges all of a sudden and no the difference between a 7.8 and an 8.7 (it’s all in the splash).
I’m looking forward to it with or without crowds.

Reactions: 2 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Haven’t really watched the Olympics since Beijing when the time zone was more friendly. But I will be home a lot over the next 2 weeks.

What should I be looking out for in terms of gold medal prospects?
In major sports Stewart McSweyn in the 1500m is considered a medal chance... long long time since a male Australian has been on the podium in a track event.
Nicole MCDrmott in high jump.
Rowing has been productive in recent times, men's eight which have never been as good as our smaller crews is a show.
Swimming...it's often more about disappointment than glory given our expectations. Women as always will fly the flag. With Horton not qualifying and Sun banned the tension of Rio won't be there.
Of course it's the minor sports that armchair followers get on the bandwagon of anyone in the green and gold with a chance.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Just heard on ESPN that 70% of Japanese people do not consider the Olympics can be held safely and are therefore largely against it. Big companies e.g. Toyota are pulling their Olympic ads. No crowds ?

Love the Olympics but this is a bit of faux one.

Japanese have been against it for a while. The Japanese Olympic Committee being scandal ridden hasn't helped.

Toyota can pull all the ads it wants but one of the main reasons the Olympics are happening is to extract the sponsorship dollars the games generate for the IOC and various sports bodies.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I just hope they show lots of sport on the coverage. So many of the minor sports barely get a look in unless an Aussie turns up. Let's see some fencing, pentathlon, whatever, just show sport and not talking heads.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Olympic Games in the time of Delta Variant Covid - yeah, good thinking ...

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Athletics is the linchpin, the main event and easily my favourite part of it. Like Jazz, I love the middle distance stuff. But anything but walking is great. Walking is an event invented by two eight-year-olds. ("I'll race you over there - but we have to walk!")

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I’m looking forward to the softball, which starts tomorrow. The game gets bugger all coverage here (ESPN do some of the US college championship and NITV used to show the SA domestic comp), so it’ll be nice to see some of the top players do their thing. It’s also been in the wilderness as an Olympic sport for the past 2.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I just hope they show lots of sport on the coverage. So many of the minor sports barely get a look in unless an Aussie turns up. Let's see some fencing, pentathlon, whatever, just show sport and not talking heads.

DS
Or endless replays of events that have passed because an Aussie happened to do well, or it’s gymnastics.

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Is seven showing any footy the next couple of weeks? I heard their ad on radio earlier and I’m sure it said that they were showing the olympics on 7, 7Two and 7Mate

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
First drug controversy is an Australian show jumper tested positive for cocaine

Aussie Aussie Aussie!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users