Once In a Generation Rebuild | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Once In a Generation Rebuild

blofield

Tiger Cub
Jul 20, 2005
Reckon the cliff fall for the tigers will be SEVERE in the next few years.

Currently - we would be in the bottom 3 teams - on form.

When you have so many players hitting 29+ next year - many who are currently week to week propositions/in severe decline/hunger lacking after 3 flags - It's going to be pretty ugly in the next few years.

When they retire - There's no way you can replace that experience/talent in 1 or 2 drafts.

We've squeezed the greatest amount of juice possible from this core group of players.

As well -there's no guarantee that our current crop of youngsters will make the grade. Promising yes - But we tend over value our own.

These are the ages of our experienced players - who have tasted great success - mid next year.

Houli 34
Riewoldt 33.5
Edwards 33.5
Cotchin 32
Martin 31
Grimes 31
Astbury 31
Lambert 30.5
Pickett 30.5
Caddy 29.75
Lynch 29.5
Prestia 29.5
Broad 29
Mcintosh 28
Vlastuin 28
Nankervis 27.5

These champs deserve legend status for what they've achieved - winning 3 flags. Not to mention the absolute pleasure they've given us adoring fans over the last 10 years.

Playing on - just for the cash - just ruins that memory.

Some REALLY hard brutal decisions have to be made this season and next.

Does Hartley and Hardwick have the necessary courage/objectivity to do so?

More importantly - Has the need for a rebuild hit Damien yet?

A complete rebuild is necessary. In all positions. On and off field.(coaching)

Getting access to the draft cream/elite talent is something we've been deprived of - for years

In 3/4 years time - after lowly ladder positions/media scrutiny - I can't see Hardwick staying around. (It will be 14 years at Richmond in 2024)

It will be a real test of character for the Club - Going Forward.

Just have to be patient and realise it's part of a greater cycle. Happens to every dynasty.

Reactions: 4 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Then again....

Years where REIGNING premiers Richmond missed the finals. ( + what happened next).

1922 ( made finals again in 1924)
1968 ( won flag in 1969)
1970 ( made finals again in 1971)
1981 (made Grand Final in 1982)

Courtesy of Rhett Bartlett Twitter

Reactions: 11 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
I don't understand. Once in a generation? we rebuilt 3 or 4 times from 86 to 2002-odd. If a generation is 20 years thats 4 in one generation in my lifetime. Or do you mean if we do it now that will be the only one we need for the next 20 years?

Reactions: 1 user

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
When you have Dustin Martin on your list with what he can do we go again. We look at the Port Adelaide rebuild with their 3 top picks.

We have to no doubt try a spread out the retirements. Hence Houli will be tapped on the shoulder. Caddy will be offered up to all clubs.

I want us to head to the draft and go for quick midfield options. Plus we need to get a tall 195cm key defender.

blofield

Tiger Cub
Jul 20, 2005
I don't understand. Once in a generation? we rebuilt 3 or 4 times from 86 to 2002-odd. If a generation is 20 years thats 4 in one generation in my lifetime. Or do you mean if we do it now that will be the only one we need for the next 20 years?
Snakey - What I mean is - that with the amount of talent(former) that is retiring in the next few years - Our dire ladder position will dictate that we have no other option to rebuild the entire list. Having prolonged access to the elite talent in the draft - Is Something we have not access to for years.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Reckon the cliff fall for the tigers will be SEVERE in the next few years.

Currently - we would be in the bottom 3 teams - on form.

When you have so many players hitting 29+ next year - many who are currently week to week propositions/in severe decline/hunger lacking after 3 flags - It's going to be pretty ugly in the next few years.

When they retire - There's no way you can replace that experience/talent in 1 or 2 drafts.

We've squeezed the greatest amount of juice possible from this core group of players.

As well -there's no guarantee that our current crop of youngsters will make the grade. Promising yes - But we tend over value our own.

These are the ages of our experienced players - who have tasted great success - mid next year.

Houli 34
Riewoldt 33.5
Edwards 33.5
Cotchin 32
Martin 31
Grimes 31
Astbury 31
Lambert 30.5
Pickett 30.5
Caddy 29.75
Lynch 29.5
Prestia 29.5
Broad 29
Mcintosh 28
Vlastuin 28
Nankervis 27.5

These champs deserve legend status for what they've achieved - winning 3 flags. Not to mention the absolute pleasure they've given us adoring fans over the last 10 years.

Playing on - just for the cash - just ruins that memory.

Some REALLY hard brutal decisions have to be made this season and next.

Does Hartley and Hardwick have the necessary courage/objectivity to do so?

More importantly - Has the need for a rebuild hit Damien yet?

A complete rebuild is necessary. In all positions. On and off field.(coaching)

Getting access to the draft cream/elite talent is something we've been deprived of - for years

In 3/4 years time - after lowly ladder positions/media scrutiny - I can't see Hardwick staying around. (It will be 14 years at Richmond in 2024)

It will be a real test of character for the Club - Going Forward.

Just have to be patient and realise it's part of a greater cycle. Happens to every dynasty.
Agree I reckon we let Clarko have his dream send off and take our top ten pick to the draft and see where that gets us.

Reactions: 2 users

Dev Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2014
We need honest assessments of the list. I would delist/trade out Naish, Garthy, Chol, Ross, Naish, Eggy, Miller and Parker.

Reactions: 1 users

thegdog

Tiger Champion
Sep 28, 2009
We need honest assessments of the list. I would delist/trade out Naish, Garthy, Chol, Ross, Naish, Eggy, Miller and Parker.
Perfect list. Also include Aarts and Houli. Then have to trade Caddy and for good pick George

HeadandShin

Burning bright
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
You’d delist/trade Naish twice? I don’t know whether that’s genius or you just want to be certain he’s gone!

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Bill Haverchuck

Tiger Superstar
Jun 27, 2011
In 5 years time we won't be in the hunt. By then all the 16 guns above will be gone. We will be lucky to replace 5 of them of same quality by then.
Your probably right , 5 years was more a best case scenario if we draft very well..
Will probably take longer thats just the reality...

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Complete rebuild is a drastic step. It's what you do when the list is a write-off, like the end of 2009.

(Ages at 30/9/09 in brackets)

Richo (34), Brown (31), Johnson (31), Bowden (31), Pettifer (27), Coughlan (27), McMahon (26), Schulz (24), Raines (23), Tambling (23), Pattison (23) gone. Plus a few other minor players.

Kept Cousins (31), Simmonds (31), Polak (25) who had 20-odd games combined left in them.

Next oldest Tuck (27), Newman (27), King (25), Moore (25), Foley (24), Jackson (23). Not enough to anchor your future around.

- - - - - - -

Of our 10 players at 29+, I expect we'll be retiring/moving on five at absolute most.

Prestia (28), Lynch (28), Broad (28), McIntosh (27), Vlastuin (27), Nankervis (27), Short (25), Soldo (25), Castagna (25), Rioli (24), Baker (23), Graham (23) in the next group. Plenty of depth if not standout quality, and all premiership players.

Bolton (22), Balta (21), Stack (21) in the group below who are clearly above average.

A heap of maybes besides those.

21 and under at Sept 30 (excluding rookies)

14 Gold Coast
12 Adelaide
11 Essendon, North
10 Fremantle, Collingwood
9 Brisbane, Geelong
8 Richmond, GWS, Hawthorn, Melbourne, Port, Sydney, West Coast
7 Bulldogs
6 Carlton
4 St.Kilda

The list has a pretty good age balance, with no need to raze it. Combination trade/draft approach makes sense to me.

Bigger question for me is can we come up with another effective gameplan and whether our current players can carry it out.

Reactions: 12 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
We really shouldnt be in this position we are currently in.
While we were winning flags our recruiting team were admiring themselves.
Our recruiting team has fked up again.
We burnt picks on 2 Ellis's both gone, throw in the fken dud Huggins and now Cd.
We shouldve had 2 or 3 22-24 year olds ready to go.
I'm scared they will *smile* it up again this year and we will have to rely on a 3rd round rookie selection .

blofield

Tiger Cub
Jul 20, 2005
Complete rebuild is a drastic step. It's what you do when the list is a write-off, like the end of 2009.

(Ages at 30/9/09 in brackets)

Richo (34), Brown (31), Johnson (31), Bowden (31), Pettifer (27), Coughlan (27), McMahon (26), Schulz (24), Raines (23), Tambling (23), Pattison (23) gone. Plus a few other minor players.

Kept Cousins (31), Simmonds (31), Polak (25) who had 20-odd games combined left in them.

Next oldest Tuck (27), Newman (27), King (25), Moore (25), Foley (24), Jackson (23). Not enough to anchor your future around.

- - - - - - -

Of our 10 players at 29+, I expect we'll be retiring/moving on five at absolute most.

Prestia (28), Lynch (28), Broad (28), McIntosh (27), Vlastuin (27), Nankervis (27), Short (25), Soldo (25), Castagna (25), Rioli (24), Baker (23), Graham (23) in the next group. Plenty of depth if not standout quality, and all premiership players.

Bolton (22), Balta (21), Stack (21) in the group below who are clearly above average.

A heap of maybes besides those.

21 and under at Sept 30 (excluding rookies)

14 Gold Coast
12 Adelaide
11 Essendon, North
10 Fremantle, Collingwood
9 Brisbane, Geelong
8 Richmond, GWS, Hawthorn, Melbourne, Port, Sydney, West Coast
7 Bulldogs
6 Carlton
4 St.Kilda

The list has a pretty good age balance, with no need to raze it. Combination trade/draft approach makes sense to me.

Bigger question for me is can we come up with another effective gameplan and whether our current players can carry it out.
Only difference Lee - Is that at the end of 2009 we had Martin Riewoldt and Cotchin already on our list.

This time going around - we have no junior talent of that calibre on our list. Big difference.

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Only difference Lee - Is that at the end of 2009 we had Martin Riewoldt and Cotchin already on our list.

This time going around - we have no junior talent of that calibre on our list. Big difference.
That's a rare combination. Can you say any club currently has a trio of that calibre under 21?

And they were picks 2/3/13 (we would've taken Jack at #8 if we had to). Our top picks have been 20/21/40 the past three years - the price the system exacts for success.

Imagine if we'd ended up with Kreuzer/Scully/Ben Reid instead...

Reactions: 1 users