Optus Data Breach | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Optus Data Breach

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Because they need your details for confirmation when you ring in to change/close account. They are legally obliged to keep details for 6 years IIRC.

Without knowing the full details, I can't believe this stuff was all kept in a single or at least a linked DB. Looks like the guy who stole the data is selling on the dark web for $1 million, pretty cheap. If I was optus I'd be buying it back and hoping it doesn't get resold elsewhere.
No expert ant but I think it is 2 years not 6.

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Optus is sending out emails saying "don't worry, your Optus account and password are secure". They don't say they've handed your name, address, DOB, phone and 100 points of ID to the people who can now sell that info to whoever wants to buy it. With 100 points of ID they can clone your phone, apply for credit cards and homeloans in your name, pretty much whatever they want.

I did see Vicroads is "talking to Optus" - hopefully government agencies will step in and provide people with new licence numbers and similar.

If you think you are affected, change your two factor authentication systems from SMS to authenticator apps. If your phone loses service for a period of time, contact optus as it may be an indication someone is cloning it.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Hmm good point there about 2 factor authentication via SMS. I only have it for work (an app) and for banking (a little number generator the bank sends me) and will avoid SMS for this in future. Really does make you wonder when they set up 2 factor authentication where the second factor can be stolen.

At least I'm not with Optus, although my partner is. Mind you, with the varying spelling of her first name I wonder how far they would get.

DS

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Optus is sending out emails saying "don't worry, your Optus account and password are secure". They don't say they've handed your name, address, DOB, phone and 100 points of ID to the people who can now sell that info to whoever wants to buy it. With 100 points of ID they can clone your phone, apply for credit cards and homeloans in your name, pretty much whatever they want.

I did see Vicroads is "talking to Optus" - hopefully government agencies will step in and provide people with new licence numbers and similar.

If you think you are affected, change your two factor authentication systems from SMS to authenticator apps. If your phone loses service for a period of time, contact optus as it may be an indication someone is cloning it.
Just got an email stating my driver licence number has been exposed but not my photo, and to report it to VicRoads. Even this email seems dodgy.