Ottens | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ottens

A

admin

Tip for rd 1, Pies by 11 goals.....
Funny thing is the Pies people all think that too.
I certainly hope the Richmond Football Club don't.

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Yeah tro-boy, back injuries are a huge worry - Rigoni, Lyon, Woewoedin, Allen Jakovich (the Dees have copped a lot).

Of course TF, nobody likes hearing the club whinge about injuries, and yes they're a fact of life in football, but we can't sit here and call players duds and others champions and then say that losing the champions to injury shouldn't affect our performance.

Granted, if we only lose Otto until round 10 and noone else goes down long term in that time, then we should be able to cover him. But losing him before the start of the season really puts us behind the 8 ball. Richo, Gas and Staff will be in cotton wool from here on cos we just cannot afford any of them to get injured. Not ideal. And our structure is fundamentally altered by the absence of Ottens. Jeez, if you thought we were Richo-centric against Melbourne, wait till you see us play in round 1. You can bat on all you like about plans B and C, but when you have two players of the calibre of Richo and Otto, the coaching staff have every right to structure a main game plan around them. Let's face it, how many flags do you think North would have won without structuring their plan around Carey?

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
I demand that they have a witch hunt for the person working on the renovations that left the ladder up that obviously some walked under a couple of time in the last couple of years...

Either that or there is a black cat lurking somewhere under the grandstand at Punt Road. Although with the luck we have had over the last couple of years I reckon both must be true.

Surely we must have just about used up all our bad luck now.

I think some of the girls on this Forum should be doing a naked dance for the injury gods. Isn't that how they got rain recently????

mellowyellow

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
I think some of the girls on this Forum should be doing a naked dance for the injury gods.  Isn't that how they got rain recently????

Well girls! would this be considered a wise move or just another risky strategy? ;D

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
Marshmellow hands wont be back till next season. Its bad luck to the kid, I agree. But you ferals overate him. He wont be missed much.

J

JohnF

This is absolutely fubarred. Richmond should have endeavoured to pick up that log from Sydney, Ricky Mott, as a back up for our fragile talls. When either one of Ottens, Richardson or Stafford are missing from the side we look particularly weak. I hope Ray Hall and Jay Schulz have had their weet bix. We have so many holes to fill up on the ground. Hopefully Holland comes back and can plug up CHB. Can't stand the thought of Vardy having to play that position.

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
granted otto will be a huge loss.however remember 95?we lost richo due to a knee and he was at about the same stage of his career as otto is now and we made the finals.
we will be forced to use hall in the ruck more often than not.
look at the pies. no ruckman and they made it to the GF.least we do have a quality ruckmen in stafford to fall back on.
personally i would use hall as our ruckman leave staff at full/fwd and hope our midfeilders can read the opposition ruckman.
like someone said one door close,s one door opens.welcome schultzy to the bigtime.
round 1 side
newman,vardy,A.kellaway.
cameron,*smile*,campbell.
fiora,coughlan,bowden.
blumfield,richo,houlihan.
rodan,stafford,*smile*.
hall,johnson,hilton.
i/c.tivendale,rogers,mcgrath,nichols/fleming.
*a few points-
no doubt malthouse will want to exploit our lack of height down back by using frazer in the fwd line.hall to go down back and use stafford at the centre bounce and *smile* around the ground.
*brought in mcgrath as a backup at full/fwd in case we need staff in the ruck.

not all doom and gloom people.

johnson2richo2003

Dec 19, 2002
Marshmellow hands wont be back till next season. Its bad luck to the kid, I agree. But you ferals overate him. He wont be missed much.
yep another fine post by digghead. :-/

Skeeta

TigersRule
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
Hello fellow tigernuts, its terrible news about Otto and i wish him a speedy and succesful recovery. BUT...i am sure we have enough big men to cover him in his absense, if the like's of Staff, Hall and even Richo sharing the ruck contests im sure we can be very strong still and the run might even do Richo good. He is a true athlete and seeing him waste away in the goal square sometimes makes me shiver. He has good spring in his heels so why not give him a go. Changing our rucks from full forward, would im sure confuse some other teams and the way they try and match up on different playing styles of our revolving forwards....GO TIGERS.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
It is a shame Ottens will be out for the season (backs do not heal in 10 weeks), however we need to get the ball from the middle first and then deliver it into the forward line in an effective manner to have full effect of our 2 presumably gun forwards. Lets get this aspect of our game up and running first. Hopefully this setback will deter our players from bombing it long. Perhaps we might need to play SMART football for a change and actually create a game plan. Heres hoping Danny understands this. :-/

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Solution to this is - play rogers as a leading forward (the only position he is reasonable at), try shulz in the forward line, alternate holland at chb and chf, richo as chf/ff/fflank alternate staff and hall as ff, rodan, krak forward pockets, etc. We have plenty of options in the forward line so the last thing I want to hear from richmond and its supporters is that ottens injury has caused us to lose games. I'm sick of excuses!!!!!

J

JohnF

its 3 in the morning and i'm looking for some positives to be taken from this bad news. The main thing that I hope comes from Otten's injury is that we learn some valuable lessons and learn some truths about our squad.

The coaching staff and players usally enter the season full of hope and quixotism, thinking that they are set for huge things. I like the fact that they are now on the back foot and staring at the prospect of failure before the season has even started. It should work to shock the coaching staff and players out of the complacency that I feared they were lapsing into, especially with all this talk of a new improved midfield, new improved pettifers, key players returning from injury, yada yada yada. Our backs are to the wall, and its time to find out who's got some spine and who's been talking *smile*. Can't wait to see how the youngsters respond now that the task has well and truly been put before them to step up.

Otto's injury should also work to serve notice to the coaching and recruiting staff (who for the last couple of years have been under the illusion that we have lots of talls at Richmond) that we are deficient in tall players should our talls break down.

I also hope that this helps shatter the myth of the "twin towers" panacea, and forces Frawley and the brainstrust to reassess their plans for the forward line; making the other smaller players accountable and proactive by being made to make their own leads and demand the ball, rather than hoping to be on the end of spilled marks all the time.

Let's hope that something positive comes from Otten's injury and that the squad gets a solid jolt from from this experience, which ultimately leads to them going on to form some real character, shaking the false optimism that has been driving them of late.

Go Tiges, I know you can do it.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
I like the fact that they are now on the back foot and staring at the prospect of failure before the season has even started. It should work to shock the coaching staff and players out of the complacency that I feared they were lapsing into ...

Let's hope that something positive comes from Otten's injury and that the squad gets a solid jolt from from this experience, which ultimately leads to them going on to form some real character, shaking the false optimism that has been driving them of late.

Go Tiges, I know you can do it.

Great post JohnF. No, it's not the end of the world, it just seems like it.

I agree John, this makes things a little less comfortable for everyone. Like you, I'm interested to see how the season unfolds and who stands up.

I have a feeling this is going to be a very 'interesting' season. Especially for us.

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
Its not doom and gloom. If the injury happened to Richo, the season is over before it even started. Ottens is no matchwinner. Not by a long shot. Some say overated and I agree. This might inspire Richardson to finally fulfil his potential and have a consistent year for a change. He is fast approaching 30, so its about time he performs. If not, another couple of nails will be driven into Frawleys coffin.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Its not doom and gloom.

Hell! A moment in history folks. 13/3/2003 - Diggles makes a positive statement about our prospects for the year. We're so privileged..;D. He must be sick or still suffering shock aftering hearing the news about Otto.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
As the President of the Otto fan club it is time I made another statement ;)

While this is a terrible situation and a great disappointment to the WHOLE Club (from Brad, the coaches, players and supporters) it isn't the end of the season

I still believe we have solid chance of making the 8. I have been absolutely staggered by some of the comments made on talkback radio in particluar. Now I expect the media to carry on and predict doom and gloom but these are the times when we as a Club need to stand firm. People are waiting for us to implode - so those talkback callers saying Danny is now definitely gone gone and can't coach (bla bla) you are giving the media exactly what they want.

This injury is going to give a young bloke named Jay Schulz a chance to show us why we picked him up. I reckon from what I have seen of him he'll make a good fist of it. Ray Hall gets a chance to show us why everyone thinks so highly of him and why they told others Clubs during the trade period he was off limits. It will probably give Matty Rogers a chance to play in a set position for a change. It will give Richo further opportunity to show all the doubters what a good leader he is.

I agree with JohnF & MC24 it may just knock a few people out of their comfort zones. A bit like Richo's injury did in 2000. I am looking forward to the season.

I wish my charge, Otto a full recovery and GO TIGES!!!!!!!

Koalalill
President Brad Ottens Fan Club

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
Well done Diggler you wanker, add a bit more instabilty to the club and put unneeded pressure on Frawley and really stuff the year up.

What is sacking Frawley mid season going to acheive?

And all this crap from tiger supporters on the radio saying Frawley is no good and should sacked etc... is just utter *smile*, but is the form of which our club and supporters have followed over the years.

From my source at the club, Spud works his arse off for the club, putting in well over 80 hrs p/week. A bit more than the 9-5 of everybody else.

For a change, why can't we stand by our own and show some support for Danny in his efforts. He doesn't need the extra pressure that gets stirred up by supporters and then finds it way into the papers.

But if we choose to do the same old trick, then none of us has any right to complain when things don't improve.

Eddie McGuire and Collingwood have provided the tigers with a blueprint for success. His first move was one of solidarity from the top right down to the last member. Something of a novilty at Punt Rd....

johnson2richo2003

Dec 19, 2002
very well said koalalill and RR.all those doomsdayers out there who think danny,s head is on the chopping block wouldnt know which end their butt is facing.
these are the same people who would have rung up the very same station in 2000 and 2001 and remarked how danny was good for the club etc.
history has shown that sacking coaches simply dosent work and who better to realise this is greg miller.
sure danny isnt the best talker who cares i dont.
greg miller made a very positive statement about how things will change regarding our playing list.
its about time the players started looking over their shoulders not the coach. once that happens the player group themselves will have to respond knowing the comfort zone of the coach going is well and truely gone.

regarding *smile* it could be a blessing in disguise really.most young 1st year players start off like a red rag to a bull then suddenly hit a brick wall.this is more than likely to happen to the lad.and who can we replace him with? a fresh otto :)