OUR LIST FOR 2023 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

OUR LIST FOR 2023

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Just on Pickett. Some of you saying only a couple more years but I think he can play well into his 30s

Bourgoyne played something like 160 games after he turned 30

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Just on Pickett. Some of you saying only a couple more years but I think he can play well into his 30s

Bourgoyne played something like 160 games after he turned 30
i just want 2 more years and for him to get to 100 games and anything else is a bonus , But he could easily play another 4-5 more
rarely gets injured and has that body type that has durability.

Bloke turned out to be a Gem

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
That's a nice piece of propaganda from Big Tone, but you could drive a truck through the holes in it.

Fact is we have loaded up on our current list to try and contend again rather than use a reasonable draft hand to continue to regenerate, and the main reason for that is that under 25 team isn't winning a flag ever.

I'm all for the strategy, but also worried we are showing too much faith in our champions to be able to produce again.

Ultimately the proof is in the pudding in this business though, top 4 is the minimum for the next two or three years, otherwise it's a bust.
Apart from 5 words, it sounds like you are sick of winning flags.

Reactions: 2 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Apart from 5 words, it sounds like you are sick of winning flags.

Not at all, I just think we are at a fascinating position in terms of our list management and the direction we have taken. I can see the argument that it is a great move and the argument it is a terrible move and I see merit in both positions.

As I said, I'm all for the strategy, flags are bloody hard to win and if you have a shot you should take it no matter what the future cost.

I certainly won't complain if we end up like Hawthorn are now because we overplay it and it doesn't come off.

Reactions: 1 user

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
In a sense we have done the opposite to Hawthorn during our dynasty's, they always traded out of the Draft whereas we always invested in it. It's how those kids develope which we will decide how we go in the coming yrs.

As for Pickett, he could go a while yet, he was drafted mature age & isn't as banged up as most players his age are as a result of that.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
You could point to any list and do the same thing. Every single top four side from 2022 will need to replace their best players in five years.

Look at Geelong, they've shifted thinking. This is your area TBR, sports science is prolonging every sport across the board. Look at what Novak, Federer, Nadal, Messi, Ronaldo, Brady, Lebron are doing. They are the elite of the elite performing well into their 30s. I read that the average age of the Champions League soccer team moved from 24.9 in 1992 to 26.5 in 2019. 1.5 years mightn't sound like a lot but when the average peak performance is from 23-29 it's a massive shift. Geelong just won a flag easily with the OLDEST SIDE TO EVER PLAY A GAME. The movement is happening.

We contend at least for the next two years. We've been creative, got more talent in. I've spruked on here for years, generation are built from getting three or four core footballers out of one draft. Blokes that play together in finals. We got Lambert, Short, Castanga and Soldo from one rookie draft. We took five players inside 30 last year. I reckon we've got two banked. Gibcus & Sonsie. Maybe Clarke. Need to get another one out of Banks or Brown. I think most have had contracts extended. There is a truckload of internal faith being shown. If we don't have that faith, not sure we go after both lads from GWS.

Look at the side that Hopper & Taranto just left. There's never been an under 25 more stacked with talent positioned to win a flag. They didn't get one. Made one grand final and got murdered.

In a league getting older and older, under 25 means less and less. Projecting forward over more than three years is virtually impossible.
All of these guys have been extended.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
That's a nice piece of propaganda from Big Tone, but you could drive a truck through the holes in it.

Fact is we have loaded up on our current list to try and contend again rather than use a reasonable draft hand to continue to regenerate, and the main reason for that is that under 25 team isn't winning a flag ever.

I'm all for the strategy, but also worried we are showing too much faith in our champions to be able to produce again.

Ultimately the proof is in the pudding in this business though, top 4 is the minimum for the next two or three years, otherwise it's a bust.
Propaganda or not Tony Greenberg has made this point quite a few times over the season on the talking tigers podcast.
The premise is a simple one which is the analysis that Richmond is ageing team not regenerating its list with talented young players and investing in the draft is wrong.
As Tony has said we had the most debutants in 2022, we had 5 picks under 30 in last years draft. Our vfl team was very young at times this year and there is actually an argument that to bring in another 4-5 18 year olds in 2023 would leave us quite exposed to a very young playing list.
His irritation is with the footy media who he believes don’t research enough.
Whether we are successful or not is unknown but Tony’s point is that to say Richmond has not invested in young players as part of the strategy to stay competitive is just not correct.

Reactions: 7 users

Elmer

Tiger Champion
Dec 3, 2005

Burgoyne played something like 160 games after he turned 30
Burgoyne is the exception to the rule - 1 of 5 ever to play 400 games. I don't think he should be the measurement.

Reactions: 1 users

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014

Thank god we took 5 picks in the stronger draft last year . ;)

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
Not at all, I just think we are at a fascinating position in terms of our list management and the direction we have taken. I can see the argument that it is a great move and the argument it is a terrible move and I see merit in both positions.

As I said, I'm all for the strategy, flags are bloody hard to win and if you have a shot you should take it no matter what the future cost.

I certainly won't complain if we end up like Hawthorn are now because we overplay it and it doesn't come off.
As my last point.
Did the Hawks take more than 3 picks let alone 5 in the top 30 in any year post 2015?
We took our medicine last year.
Hawks are finally taking it 7yrs later with alot of pain ahead.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
i just want 2 more years and for him to get to 100 games and anything else is a bonus , But he could easily play another 4-5 more
rarely gets injured and has that body type that has durability.

Bloke turned out to be a Gem
Pickett has 43 games to reach the 100 so I reckon he will need 3 seasons to get there, as for rarely injured, he missed 2 games this year with a hammy, 1 with a migraine and 1 with suspension, very few players get through a season unscathed.

Reactions: 3 users

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Yeh key forwards are the problem. So hard to replace on the cheap and take so much time to develop. We are due for another Tasmanian super star. I’d like to see that tradition continue.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
As my last point.
Did the Hawks take more than 3 picks let alone 5 in the top 30 in any year post 2015?

Hawthorn are actually a great case study for us to review.

19 - Burton - traded in 2018 to get Wingard
22 - Lovell - delisted after 2 games
44 - Hardwick - 124 games so far
R18 - Surman - delisted after 0 games
R36 - Stewart - delisted after 7 games
R52 - Woodward - delisted after 0 games (mature age)
R62 - Glass - delisted after 21 games

2016 (traded out Brad Hill, Sam Mitchell, Jordan Lewis and 2017 1st. Traded in Tom Mitchell, JOM)
74 - Morrison - 78 games so far
76 - Lewis - 51 games so far
R14 - Hanrahan - delisted after 29 games
R31 - Fitzpatrick - delisted after 1 game (mature age)
R46 - Cousins - delisted after 35 games

2017 (traded out Luke Hodge, traded in Impey)
45 - Worpel - 79 games so far
67 - Moore - 52 games so far
71 - Ross - delisted after 0 games
R7 - Jones - delisted after 1 game
R23 - Mirra - delisted after 11 games (mature age)
R34 - Willsmore - delisted after 0 games

2018 (traded out Burton, traded in Wingard and Duryea)
52 - Koschitzke - played 36 games so far
63 - Walker - delisted after 0 games
R14 - Greaves - delisted after 10 games
R30 - Golds - delisted after 0 games
R43 - Mohr - delisted after 0 games (mature age)
R49 - Langford - delisted after 0 games

2019 (traded out Pittonet, traded in Frost, Patton)
13 - Day - played 33 games so far
29 - Maginness - played 19 games so far
57 - Morris - played 15 games so far
PSD2 - Hartley - delisted after 5 games (mature age)
R9 - Jeka - played 7 games so far (mature age)

2020 (traded in Hartigan, Phillips)
6 - Grainger-Barras - played 21 games so far
29 - Mitchell - played 0 games so far
35 - Downie - delisted after 2 games
46 - Brockman - played 11 games so far
R4 - Saunders - delisted after 1 game

2021 (traded out Ceglar, traded in Lynch)
MSD2 - Newcombe - played 22 games so far
MSD17 - Callow - delisted after 3 games
7 - Ward - played 14 games so far
23 - Butler - played 9 games so far
26 - McDonald - played 20 games so far
53 - Serong - played 3 games so far
R5 - Long - played 1 game so far

2022 (traded out Tom Mitchell, Gunston, traded in Stephens)
MSD6 - Ramsden - 0 games played yet
MSD20 - Blanck - 9 games played so far
Picks 6, 24, 41, 48, 50, 52 and 65

Thats a pretty sorry list. We could potentially compare out 2022 with their 2016 (we will have 2 late picks as they did when they took Morrison and Lewis with theirs - hopefully we can pick good ones too), but the years around them couldn't be further from what we have done. The year before they traded out for those 2 mids, they has 2 picks in the top 25 (we had 5 last year) and since traded 1 out to bring in Wingard which has been a massive fail.

They effectively had 1 pick inside 40 between 2015 and 2018 (as they traded Burton back out again). Thats chalk and cheese from what we have been doing.
Even go back to the year we won the flag, we had 3 within 25 (sure we traded 2 of those out), but we reset and went again with those picks.

I'm not sure why people compare us to the Hawks, we aren't doing what they did.

We actually hit the draft and more importantly we didn't trade the heart and soul out of our footy club for junk picks.

Even taking a look at the Hawks v us over the last 2 drafts.

We took 5 in 30 last year (1 top 10, 2 top 20, 3 between 21 and 30) but we also traded in Hopper and Taranto (although lost a teens pick next year)
They took 5 in 30 over the 2 years (2 in top 10, 2 in top 20, 3 between 21 and 30).

Our actual drafting over the last 2 years has been almost identical but we gained Taranto and Hopper and only lost a teens pick next year (and CCJ - a 20's pick) last year. So we have essentially drafted the same number of "quality" kids as the Hawks have over the last 2 years (21 and 22 drafts)

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
It was pretty clear last year that our team was vaguely competitive but there were glaring problems.

The main one was in the midfield. Teams that had big-bodied midfielders could get on top in the centre square for significant periods, and, when they did, we could not stop them. Shai and Dion were our most dangerous midfielders but they were too easy to block off the ball. Edwards was no longer the creative player of previous seasons and only added to the size disparity when he attended centre bounces. Dusty was rarely available, Graham carried injury for a big part of the year and, ultimately, was not able to play the Lambert role due to injury, another big miss for us. Lambert has been a very important part of our set up, allowing Martin and Bolton to play ahead of the ball, with very little negative impact. Cotch toiled manfully but he too was overwhelmed at times. Ross stepped up somewhat late in the year and Sonsie showed that he could play.

The finals loss rammed this point home. Neale destroyed our midfield, with the support of a few bigger bodies at the centre bounce.

Going after Taranto and Hopper is the exact change required to reverse our fortunes in this area. It puts our team squarely in the frame again.

We still have issues with aging players but they are more manageable. Replacing Riewoldt becomes the next priority. He still found 40 or so goals last year, a real credit to him. He may not be able to do it again. Bauer and Ryan are developing and we may be able to add to our stocks at the draft.

And let’s not forget that we can still trade into next year‘s draft by bringing a future first rounder in from the following season. The beauty of future pick trades is that you can use them to bring players in a year early, as we did with Hopper, and replace them the next year by trading the other way.

It can’t all be about youth. Too many young players don’t make it.

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014

2016 (traded out Brad Hill, Sam Mitchell, Jordan Lewis and 2017 1st. Traded in Tom Mitchell, JOM)

Thats a pretty sorry list. We could potentially compare out 2022 with their 2016 (we will have 2 late picks as they did when they took Morrison and Lewis with theirs - hopefully we can pick good ones too), but the years around them couldn't be further from what we have done. The year before they traded out for those 2 mids, they has 2 picks in the top 25 (we had 5 last year) and since traded 1 out to bring in Wingard which has been a massive fail.

They effectively had 1 pick inside 40 between 2015 and 2018 (as they traded Burton back out again). Thats chalk and cheese from what we have been doing.
Even go back to the year we won the flag, we had 3 within 25 (sure we traded 2 of those out), but we reset and went again with those picks.

We actually hit the draft and more importantly we didn't trade the heart and soul out of our footy club for junk picks.

We took 5 in 30 last year (1 top 10, 2 top 20, 3 between 21 and 30) but we also traded in Hopper and Taranto (although lost a teens pick next year)
They took 5 in 30 over the 2 years (2 in top 10, 2 in top 20, 3 between 21 and 30).

Our actual drafting over the last 2 years has been almost identical but we gained Taranto and Hopper and only lost a teens pick next year (and CCJ - a 20's pick) last year. So we have essentially drafted the same number of "quality" kids as the Hawks have over the last 2 years (21 and 22 drafts)
Love your work.
Your right its laughable that people compare us to hawthorn.
They're in a whole lot of trouble .
They have 5 picks in the top 50 in this years weaker draft with 6 & 24 being of any value.

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
i dont reckon any club would have a current list of 25yo and under who are going to be a flag winning side.
we will continue to add youngsters, even if not early this draft or next, and we will continue to have stars playing into their 30s.
Our flag window will stay open for at least another 5 years.
Sounds a lot like the Kardinia Park model.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Just on Hawthorn. They traded out Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis and Burchill when they still had plenty to offer and moved them on for junk picks. That is where their problems began. These guys were the keepers of the flame, culture-wise and they tried to rebuild without them.

The equivalent for us would have been trading out Prestia after the 2020 flag, Cotchin, Edwards and Jack at the end of 2021 and allowing Dusty to go elsewhere at the end of 2022. Whatever picks we received would never fill the vacuum that these departures would leave.

Reactions: 3 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

You forgot to add the years 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 where the HAwks did not take a single 1sr rd pick.

Again, the comparison between us and the Hawks is ridiculous.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
As my last point.

Not suggesting we have the same strategy as Hawthorn, we just both have strategies to try and stay at the top longer.

They tried a method and it didn't work, now we are trying another method and time will tell.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Thank god we took 5 picks in the stronger draft last year . ;)

Zips told me they are all duds. :LOL:

Hopefully it was a really strong draft because we have all our eggs in that basket effectively. We've taken three years worth of low draft picks in one draft and really need them to come through.