Our monster offer for Pick 1 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Our monster offer for Pick 1

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Why waste all those picks which could nab you two quality players when the kid you take at 1 turns around in 2 years and says they want to go home.

I get he's a ready to go type but no sure thing to stay at the RFC even if we were pinch a flag next year, although that would help.

We need 3 or 4 good quality players coming into the club to assist across the middle and half forrward.

Reactions: 1 user

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Why waste all those picks which could nab you two quality 200 gamers when the kid you take at 1 turns around in 2 years and says they want to go home.
since it's North I'd love this scenario Craig

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
Forgive me if this has already been covered elsewhere, but if we happen to have multiple future third round picks, which pick do we have to give away for this trade with the Pies?

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Forgive me if this has already been covered elsewhere, but if we happen to have multiple future third round picks, which pick do we have to give away for this trade with the Pies?
We traded the pick tied to our finishing position.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Been thinking about this one. Why did we do it?

Picks 7,15,26 and CCJ.

Horne-Francis will be a plug’n’play, we know that.

We also know we’re loading up for another tilt.

And everyone knows we are thin and vulnerable in the midfield.

Now that North have knocked us back, are there any other levers we can pull?

Will there be a ready-made at pick 7(9)?

Will it be down to shooting the lights out of the national and rookie drafts?

Or can we cover for our midfield weakness from within?
They did it because Clarke hasn't got a clue which kids are quality.
We shouldve got the Footscary recruiting team to select our first 2 picks and we take over with the late and Rookie picks.

Bennnny

Punt Road End. The best place to watch The Tiges.
Mar 29, 2005
Melbourne
www.indieinitiative.com
Can we get some superstars with father sons in the future. Do we need to create a breeding program like Geelong had?
We got 2 top 3 picks in the last 15 years. They worked out in the end because we created a great environment where they flourished. Dusty was almost a talent wasted because of off field issues.
We have created a great environment where players have thrived.
You can be Melbourne who wasted top picks till recently.
Carlton have failed dusmally with all their top picks over 20 years.

I'm more worried about losing Brendan Gale and Peggy and Neil Balme. The culture is the driver. The kids will improve in the middle.
If we can help to turn players into top talent and great people then we can get the best free agents. No premiership without Prestia and Nank and Caddy.

We traded down and got Jack.
We need to get players wth elite strengths who can have weaknesses that our team ethos can help overcome
But for me its the mental strength program that is the No 1 driver.

ARCHYBOY

Tiger Superstar
Mar 30, 2010
Little River
They did it because Clarke hasn't got a clue which kids are quality.
We shouldve got the Footscary recruiting team to select our first 2 picks and we take over with the late and Rookie picks.
Geez you’re full of sheet sometimes Zip.....
Most recruiters rate JHF that highly including North, we could’ve offered Dusty and they still would’ve said NO.
I’ve got no idea about junior talent but word on the street is that JHF as shown more before joining an AFL team than any other player before him.

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
Just watched JHF's highlight package. Surely there must be more than this. Underwhelming,,,

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I can understand the massive offer for a kid that’s elite and ready to go , it helps with next year’s challenge as well as obviously giving us a midfielder to build around going forward .

Though each new draftee will be different I like the fact we are having a few picks this year , imho we need to ad now while we have Dusty, Lynch, Grimes still playing high class footy , this window could close by round 5 , however if we recruit some good kids and a couple of the other Cubs step up things look good for the future as well.

Even though having future picks are great , really think we need to hit this draft hard to hopefully find a couple of gems for a crack at the 2022 flag .

Next season is massive in which way the club heads in 2023 , Win the flag or top 4 makes things real interesting for BH , miss finals it’s most likely rebuild time .

Reactions: 3 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
I can understand the massive offer for a kid that’s elite and ready to go , it helps with next year’s challenge as well as obviously giving us a midfielder to build around going forward .

Though each new draftee will be different I like the fact we are having a few picks this year , imho we need to ad now while we have Dusty, Lynch, Grimes still playing high class footy , this window could close by round 5 , however if we recruit some good kids and a couple of the other Cubs step up things look good for the future as well.

Even though having future picks are great , really think we need to hit this draft hard to hopefully find a couple of gems for a crack at the 2022 flag .

Next season is massive in which way the club heads in 2023 , Win the flag or top 4 makes things real interesting for BH , miss finals it’s most likely rebuild time .

I think we are doing both - if we take 5 top 30 picks then we are rebuilding but with a team that could still be near their peak (just beyond it I reckon).

Most teams rebuild when they are in free fall or have already hit rock bottom - we are doing it differently while we are still contenders (hopefully). It will be interesting to know whether this was absolutely a deliberate decision or whether our salary cap forced us down this path. Either way, I like it as we know the Hawks strategy didn't work and the cats, whilst more successful that the Hawks, also hasn’t delivered.

I think we have the systems, culture and experience still playing to give this a real crack over the next 3 years.

Reactions: 3 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Geez you’re full of sheet sometimes Zip.....
Most recruiters rate JHF that highly including North, we could’ve offered Dusty and they still would’ve said NO.
I’ve got no idea about junior talent but word on the street is that JHF as shown more before joining an AFL team than any other player before him.

Forget the clubs all clammering for him!! Mia Fevola is most probably already eyeing him off too !!

• Love
  • Haha

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
And Ricky Nixon offered him a free signed Sherrin by all the Melbourne players if JHF signed up for Nixon to be his manager.....
Whisper is that he also promised him the latest Kookaburra bat signed by Sir Donald Bradman

• Haha