Our Next President- Peggy O’Neal [merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Our Next President- Peggy O’Neal [merged]

Mac

Tiger Champion
Sep 16, 2003
Phantom said:
Congratulations to Peggy O'Neal as she begins her tenure as RFC President.

As an aside, I did get an opportunity tonight to talk to someone who did work with Mal Speed in his time with Cricket Australia.

My friend tells me that we are very lucky to have Mal Speed on the Board, he is an extremely good operator.
Prior to his time at CA, Speed was an excellent criminal lawyer, tough and uncompromising.
At CA, Speed turned the administration around and took it into the 21st century.
This wouldn't have been easy as his predecessor, Halbish, had been sacked.
Speed's reputation is for setting an objective, planning in detail, then working tirelessly and uncompromisingly until it is achieved.
He did have an illness that caused his premature retirement from his ICC position, and hopefully is fully recovered.

Personally, I wish Peggy O'Neal a long and successful tenure as RFC President.
Also, I hope that sometime in the future, Mal Speed gets his opportunity to lead the RFC to further glory.

Thanks for that Phantom. The way this has been handled suggests the board is in reasonable shape!

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Mac said:
The way this has been handled suggests the board is in reasonable shape!

Exactly, Mac.
In years gone by there might well have been blood on the floors in such circumstances, and most likely the media would have caught wind of it.
It seems that the RFC of the twenty-first century is a new beast, with new-found credibility and new-found solidarity.
The Club is pulling together and as time goes on it appears that it is coming together tightly and with a strategic and concentrated focus.
I am starting to get really impressed.

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Re: Peggy O’Neal the new Richmond president (RFC site)

Total Tiger said:
Was my first thought. She chose us at our worst. I also haven't heard much about her. Hope she continues the good work.

This is what impressed me most. Good luck Pres

tigerlandishome

Carna Tiges
Jun 4, 2007
Perth
I think Peggy's appointment is a good one for the club, and not just for the fact that she is a pioneer now for women, especially those aspiring to a Presidential role within the football industry, but also for her expertise and experience from a successful background as a Lawyer and Business person.

She is also a very proud and passionate supporter of our great football club and I am excited about her tenure during, what should be, a successful period for the Richmond Football Club. Go Tigers!

tigers80

Tiger Legend
Jul 7, 2004
Well done Peggy...but not what it all seems..what's the RFC without some acrimony on the board...

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
tigers80 said:
Well done Peggy...but not what it all seems..what's the RFC without some acrimony on the board...
there is a level of acrimony on almost every Board.

Boards tend to have high powered people with big egos = acrimony.

As long as it is contained then it is actually a good thing, much better than them all agreeing with each other

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
why do peoplke think there is acrimony on the board. read a pretty ordinary article in the paper today trying to paint it that way. it didn't have much substance.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Tygrys said:
Anyhow I called her today and told her a fellow countrywoman is now Richmond's president. Did Hubby make a good call or what! ;D
Sly old devil, happy camper last night I'm guessin.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
rosy23 said:
why do peoplke think there is acrimony on the board. read a pretty ordinary article in the paper today trying to paint it that way. it didn't have much substance.

must add to that the vote was 8-0 in favour of peggy.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
rosy23 said:

The reporting and discussion has mentioned tension as though it is doesn't require any facts to support it. Thought the article you mention had that same tone. It is as though the old guard of football media "need" Richmond to be in turmoil for their world to make sense. Seems to me we haven't looked back since CC left the building and I am looking forward to an uneventful and steady period off the field.

billyb#40

Tiger Superstar
Sep 19, 2004
Gary March was an excellent president of a united board that identified talented people to refresh itself and with minimal elections along the way
The staff they employed have also been very good.
It's all looked well planned and the results have turned the club around financially, on field, and brought back the fans.
I hope there are ambitious quality people queuing up to suceed Peggy Oneal, and working hard for the footy club until then.
Congratualions all round but I would like to hear the vision for the next few years from the new president Oneal
The upcoming AGM should be a good night for this.

poppa x

Tiger Legend
May 28, 2004
Mt Waverley
Couldn't give a flying fig that our new President is female.
As long as she's the right PERSON for the job and gets the mighty Tigers eating them alive, then she'll be doing ok.
Go for it Peggy.

PurpleSneakers

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 9, 2007
I read she was born in Virginia, I wonder if it was Richmond, Virginia? Might explain somewhat why she settled on the Tiges to support.

Wildcat

Tiger Superstar
Oct 25, 2012
PurpleSneakers said:
I read she was born in Virginia, I wonder if it was Richmond, Virginia? Might explain somewhat why she settled on the Tiges to support.

Haha she may have...

Theres a good interview with KB on SEN website. She settled in Richmond when she moved over here and it was right at the time of the Save our Skins campaign. She liked the community feel of the club and how the fans and community rallied to save the tigers.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Re: New Prez

Col.W.Kurtz said:
Nice. Richmond is a high profile club with a very media friendly CEO, so we don’t need a media tart President like Brayshaw or McGuire to be our public face.

I’m very much of the view that a sound back room President with a good understanding of cooperate governance is the right choice. Peggy seems to match that criteria perfectly.

Agree. Gale is the media front of the club, always has been. Does it really well.

Peggy continues the March role of keeping the board united and forward thinking. No doubt she is more than capable of doing the job. By no means it is a token appointment. Really proud of the club.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Re: Tigers split on new president

Total Tiger said:
Eddie McGuire has managed to find time to take Collingwood from the brink of bankrupcy to what it is today while still having significant roles elsewhere. It's a voluntary position.

Footy show host - a days work, millionaire another day. Lately he is 5 mornings but that is the closest to a real job he's had since he was boned by the Sydney push. And I would say that in trying to be CEO of 9 and prez at CfC were not compatible. Could not do justice to both. Easy option to drop back to $5m pa a game show host and intermittent ice skating commentator.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Re: New Prez

Col.W.Kurtz said:
Nice. Richmond is a high profile club with a very media friendly CEO, so we don’t need a media tart President like Brayshaw or McGuire to be our public face.

Or Jeff was, sorry still is.

casper68

Tiger Champion
Oct 20, 2004
dromana
Great speech by Peggy on the Richmond website from the season launch.
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2014-03-11/oneal-at-season-launch

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I see our illustrious leader said there’s no friendship with McGuire last night, love you more and more everyday Mrs Haines

Reactions: 1 user