Our Next President- Peggy O’Neal [merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Our Next President- Peggy O’Neal [merged]

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
Thinking about the importance of presidents at Footy clubs, see Costa, McGuire, Evans, March, Kennett, Colless etc

To me, getting this right is at least as important as getting the right Coach or CEO.

What are the important attributes of a good president: Commercial acumen, leadership, legal, finance etc?

What attributes does Richmond FC need. March is retiring this year.

I think I have heard that the next president will come from the current board.

Who is the most likely to be our next President. We seem to have a lot of lawyers and accountants on our current Board...

Mr Pumblechook

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2004
Re: Our Next President

Given the names on that list (with the exception of Costa and March), I'd say a low-key President would be best.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

Malcolm Speed.

After dealing with the BCCI the AFL will seem like childs play to him. He already seems to be well connected to Demestos.

taraba

Eat em alive!!!
Jul 27, 2004
Planet Earth

I'd be extremely surprised if it wasn't Mal Speed as well. We've already been told the successor will come from the current board so reading between the lines it'll be Mal, who would be an amazing replacement.

BustinDustin

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 2, 2011
Earth

Anyone who has the attributes of that fella named Gary March. Best president since Ian Wilson.

Total Tiger

Tiger Champion
Apr 13, 2009
Tigers split on new president

Tigers split on new president - The Age

The Richmond presidential race has turned into a power struggle, with the board split over who should replace Gary March.

Vice-president Maurice O'Shannassy, a board member since 2004, and Malcolm Speed, a former barrister and sports administrator who joined the Tigers in October 2011, are jostling for the top role.

As March is standing down, he does not have a direct vote, but it's understood he has thrown his weight behind O'Shannassy, a finance and investment expert who sits on a number of the Tigers' sub-committees.

It is believed the AFL has privately been supportive of Speed's bid, although it does not have an official say in the vote. At least one former Richmond president is also supporting Speed.

The remaining eight-member board is divided, although that could change should March's replacement on the board be elected before a final call on the presidency is made. Neither O'Shannassy nor Speed are understood to be willing to step down.

There had been suggestions the Tigers would announce their new president at Monday's best-and-fairest count, or in the days after, but this now may not be done until the annual general meeting later in the year.

March, who took charge in 2005, has even considered not attending next week's count as he feels his job is done, but those close to him are attempting to persuade him to change his mind for a night where he will be thanked for his excellent service.

March has played a key role in rebuilding the club on and off the field. The Tigers made the finals this season for the first time during his tenure and are now debt free.

Speed, keen to build on March's achievements, has an impressive record. He has been the chief executive of the National Basketball League, Cricket Australia and the International Cricket Council, where he had to deal with a plethora of complex integrity issues, including match-fixing, doping and racial storms.

He is the managing director of the Coalition of Major Professional and Participation Sports, helping the likes of CA, the AFL, NRL and Australian Rugby Union deal with major issues.

O'Shannassy, who sits on a number of company boards, has also been managing director of BlackRock Investment Management (Australia), which has offices around the world.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tigers-split-on-new-president-20130926-2ugs8.html#ixzz2fzKKt6r1

Can they not sort this out in-house? And why does Vlad have a preferred candidate?

Col.E.Kurtz

Tiger Legend
Apr 4, 2005
Re: Tigers split on new president

The nice thing is they are bost strong candidates and neither is a media tart.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

Nice strong candidates from the outside. It wouldn't hurt to have a confidant of Demestos as our Pres. Demestos sent Speed to Canberra for the drugs in sport inquiry on the AFLs behalf

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania

hmmm - I might consider voting if each of Speed and OShannassy put up someone to fill the place on the Board left by March. Pity they couldn't have worked it out before hand in private.

Does anyone know what their respective positions or style of management are between the 2.

Mr Magic

The Centre of Perfection
Dec 7, 2006

No offence Maurice but Speed is the best candidate or the job. Being VP does not mean your entitled to the job. Time to do what is in the best interests of the club and let the new era reign safe in the knowledge you helped create it. If current action destabilises the club that will be your legacy.

tigers80

Tiger Legend
Jul 7, 2004

What's RFC if there wasn't a power struggle...
About as boring as Dustin Martin treating the club with contempt..

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003

Mr Magic said:
No offence Maurice but Speed is the best candidate or the job. Being VP does not mean your entitled to the job. Time to do what is in the best interests of the club and let the new era reign safe in the knowledge you helped create it. If current action destabilises the club that will be your legacy.
Nice slap at a bloke who's spent years working to unravel the mess that was Richmond and helping us to the position we are now at. Don't know much about either Speediebake or Maurie O but at least Maurie has been doing the hard yards for a while n wasn't just shoe horned in recently.

Ruby

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 31, 2006

Looks like PRE is split on the candidates ;D

Mr Magic

The Centre of Perfection
Dec 7, 2006

TigerMasochist said:
Nice slap at a bloke who's spent years working to unravel the mess that was Richmond and helping us to the position we are now at. Don't know much about either Speediebake or Maurie O but at least Maurie has been doing the hard yards for a while n wasn't just shoe horned in recently.

It's not personal and shouldn't be taken that way. An independent panel would select Speed and then daylight and then MO based on respective CV, background, skills and experience. No individual is bigger than the club.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003

Mr Magic said:
It's not personal and shouldn't be taken that way. An independent panel would select Speed and then daylight and then MO based on respective CV, background, skills and experience. No individual is bigger than the club.
Perhaps it's the way you worded your original post magic man, looked to me like a slap at Maurie O for having the audacity to stand for president against the Speedie bake. You claim Speedie has all the right cred to take over the presidency, yet one could alternatively argue that he was in charge of the I.C.C. at the time when India undermined and eventually overthrew world cricket.
Not fussed which of the two gets the job, n yep Speedie probably is an ideal person to wear the Pres hat, just thought from my perspective that there wasn't a need to slap at Maurie O for standing up for the job.