Outlook Express for Dummies | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Outlook Express for Dummies

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
Hopefully someone can help me.

I can receive emails in Outlook Express, but if I want to send an email, I have to load my webMail and send it from the providers website.

I've been doing this for a couple of years, but I'm getting sick of it, as replying to things, or forwarding becomes a long process with the cutting and pasting.

If anyone can tell me which settings I need to change, it would be much appreciated.

Whoever your mail provider is, go to their website and look at the FAQ of setting up accounts

Sounds like your outgoing mail server SMPT is incorrect

If you have trouble PM us your provider details and we can look them up for you

DragicevicFan said:

I can receive emails in Outlook Express, but if I want to send an email, I have to load my webMail and send it from the providers website.

I've been doing this for a couple of years, but I'm getting sick of it, as replying to things, or forwarding becomes a long process with the cutting and pasting.

If anyone can tell me which settings I need to change, it would be much appreciated.
Hey DF, click on my email addy in my profile to send me an email, and I'll show u how to set it up. Very simple. However, your ISP tech support dept should be able to step you thru this over the phone. If they can't, change ISP's. It's one of the basic things taught to all phone support people at any ISP.

DragicevicFan said:

Did you fix the problem Drag, it is either the Outgoing mail (SMPT) is wrong (as other PRE's have said) or you will have to tick a box in the server setting's "My server requires authentication"(some ISP's don't need this). Basically all that could be wrong, call your ISP and I'm sure he or she should be able fix it.

Setting up a new mail account on Outlook Express:

DF, here is my suggestion.

1. Open Outlook Express
2. Click on the "Tools" Menu
3. Click on "Accounts" - This will bring up your mail/news etc accounts. It will have tabs marked All, Mail, News, & Directory Service. In the All tab click on your mail account so it is highlighted. Click remove and Click Yes when it asks you again. You have now removed your mail account from outlook express. Make sure all mail accounts with your email address are removed.
4. Click on the Mail Tab and Click Add, then Click Mail. It will now come up with a wizard to step you through setup.
5. The 1st thing OE wants is your display name. Type what you want in here, eg: Dragicevic Fan, then press Enter.
6. Next you'll be prompted for your email address, type it in correctly and press Enter.

7. Here is where I am tipping your setting are out: Next you'll be prompted for email server settings. Your email server should be a POP3 server so leave that as is.
In most cases your Incoming and Outgoing email servers will have the same name. I am with TPG, so in both boxes I typed: mail.tpg.com.au

So, if you are with Optus, you would type mail.optusnet.com.au or if you are with Iprimus you would type mail.iprimus.com.au in both boxes.

Type your details in and press Enter.

8. It will now come up with your account name and ask you to put your password in. Don't change the account name at all. Type your password (should be the same one you use on your webmail at your providers site - I am tipping you might be with Optus) in and press Enter.

9. Click Next and then click Finish. All should now be well in the land of Outlook Express! ;D

10. Once you have done this, compose a new message as a test and try to send it to your own email address.

I'll cross my fingers for you. Let me know how it goes. I can't see why it wouldn't work, unless you have an issue in Internet Explorer on your Internet/Mail settings, or elsewhere within your Operating System. Outlook Express is pretty straight forward. I use Outlook (Professional), and that can be a headache to set up.

As I said, this is something any helpdesk person at your ISP should be able to recite with their eyes shut.

Cheers, and hope this is of help!! :)
Smoo

No probs at all DF.

Glad to be of help. That's part of what makes this a good forum. Plenty of people willing to help each other out.
:grouphug

Seriously....This tech forum is a godsend for all of us, I think. I have certainly got plenty of useful info off it.

Cheers,

Smoo.

Yep, all running beautifully.

Thanks Smoo. And also, thanks to everyone else who offered help and suggestions either here on the thread or via PM - PRE is just one big happy helpful family.