Paddy Dangerdive | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Paddy Dangerdive

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Folks, we all saw the mental impact the staging allegations had on Rance, and this year Grimes had to call the police to stop a guy stalking his wife and making threats.

I think we just let the flopping accusations go. Bigger nonsense decision was that he did not get suspended.

Two satisfying outcomes from the day:
1. We won our third premiership in four years
2. We will never have to put up with *smile* claims that danger is as good as dusty (or any other player for that matter). Also think most people will accept that dusty is better than Gary Ablett junior (perhaps the biggest takeaway of the GF).

Danger is a ripping player and happy to enjoy watching him play now knowing that we have the undisputed King.

Reactions: 5 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Folks, we all saw the mental impact the staging allegations had on Rance, and this year Grimes had to call the police to stop a guy stalking his wife and making threats.

I think we just let the flopping accusations go. Bigger nonsense decision was that he did not get suspended.

Two satisfying outcomes from the day:
1. We won our third premiership in four years
2. We will never have to put up with *smile* claims that danger is as good as dusty (or any other player for that matter). Also think most people will accept that dusty is better than Gary Ablett junior (perhaps the biggest takeaway of the GF).

Danger is a ripping player and happy to enjoy watching him play now knowing that we have the undisputed King.
Fair and reasonable post. But I reckon if there are crowds next year, any game against us at the G will see Clangerflog channel Kamahl

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
I reckon we have become obsessed with 'flopping'. That's a forward being outbodied by a defender for mine, credit belongs to Broad.

Calling it a flop is selling him short I think.

Dangerfield and Dusty are similar in size and strength,
this never happens to Dusty.

That leads me to believe it’s not happening “to” Dangerfield either.

If defenders are causing Dangerfield to go flying every second week then they’d be making other players go flying too, but they don’t.

It’s not something to get worked up over, but for argument’s sake, how else can this be explained?

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Dangerfield and Dusty are similar in size and strength,
this never happens to Dusty.

That leads me to believe it’s not happening “to” Dangerfield either.

If defenders are causing Dangerfield to go flying every second week then they’d be making other players go flying too, but they don’t.

It’s not something to get worked up over, but for argument’s sake, how else can this be explained?
You are correct, stats don't lie.

Diverfield 464 free kicks from 269 games, Dusty 219 frees from 244 games, Ablett 465 frees from 357 games and Duckwood 795 frees from 310 games. I rest my case your honour.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Danger is a funny one. He's fast, strong, agile, great mark overhead, good hands, kicking a bit average. He attacks the ball in the air, fearless in that regard. He's a bull. There seems to be a mental weakness there somewhere that prevents him from achieving what he should be able to in these big games. Some sort of self-doubt.

Dusty goes missing during the season sometimes, but typically when he knows we don't really need him. For the big games he gets that total focus and you just know he will do something amazing.

Reactions: 7 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Danger is a funny one. He's fast, strong, agile, great mark overhead, good hands, kicking a bit average. He attacks the ball in the air, fearless in that regard. He's a bull. There seems to be a mental weakness there somewhere that prevents him from achieving what he should be able to in these big games. Some sort of self-doubt.

Dusty goes missing during the season sometimes, but typically when he knows we don't really need him. For the big games he gets that total focus and you just know he will do something amazing.
I don’t think it’s self doubt. He thinks he is it. He’s an individual player in a team game. It’s all about him.

Reactions: 4 users

bairdy380

Beer friend me good...
Dec 9, 2004
The danger brand is close to irreparable damage I reckon... when the cats supporters are also starting to ask the hard questions....

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I don’t think it’s self doubt. He thinks he is it. He’s an individual player in a team game. It’s all about him.

That's false bravado I reckon Carn... all good when it's going well, but when it gets tough he's not up for it and you can see it on his face.

Reactions: 2 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Hit it ( bang ) 100% Carn.
Until he gets that out of his game & persona those ‘efforts’, ‘games’ will always linger over him no matter how many AA he gets.

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Diverfield 464 free kicks from 269 games, Dusty 219 frees from 244 games, Ablett 465 frees from 357 games and Duckwood 795 frees from 310 games. I rest my case your honour.
Can we just come back to this for a moment? Are these numbers for real?

The longterm average for free kicks per game is around 35. That's about 0.8 free kicks, on average, per player per game.

But Dangerfield's average per game is 1.7 and Selwood's is nearly 2.6. Dusty is going just over the average, at nearly 0.9.

To put it another way, Dangerfield is going at 215% and Selwood at 325% the average per player per game. Wow.

I'm no believer in umpire bias or favouritism but those numbers require some sort of explanation.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
All you need to know about Dangerflog is that he tried to claim credit for the idea of Richmond players tucking their premiership medals out of sight.
An out and out lie.
All about him as per usual.
Utter flog of a person.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Can we just come back to this for a moment? Are these numbers for real?

The longterm average for free kicks per game is around 35. That's about 0.8 free kicks, on average, per player per game.

But Dangerfield's average per game is 1.7 and Selwood's is nearly 2.6. Dusty is going just over the average, at nearly 0.9.

To put it another way, Dangerfield is going at 215% and Selwood at 325% the average per player per game. Wow.

I'm no believer in umpire bias or favouritism but those numbers require some sort of explanation.
Yep, those numbers are real.
It's been a real bugbear of mine for years now, and has annoyed me even more the last couple of years with the unfair criticism that Grimes and Vlastuin have had endure.
We all know Selwood (cheats) he lifts his arm to get the high tackle free kick, and if hasn't got time to lift his arm, he ducks his head.
Paddy Autumn Leaves Dangerfield, has got throwing his head back and going to ground down to a fine art.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
The danger brand is close to irreparable damage I reckon... when the cats supporters are also starting to ask the hard questions....
Yeah, it’s certainly taken a hit after this 1 game.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
You are correct, stats don't lie.

Edit

It will come as no surprise, Diverfield and Duckwood both got 3 free kicks in the GF.

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
In the last qtr Dangerfield is paid a holding free kick straight After a centre bounce.
I've watched it 10 times, i can't see when Prestia holds him.
If we got those free kicks we would win games by 15 goals

Reactions: 2 users

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
I’ve lost track of the number of times I’ve watched the replay but one image sticks in my mind and for me says it all about him.
After the game when both teams formed a guard of honour to salute Ablett coming off the ground for the final time in an illustrious career. Both teams keep a respectful distance to allow him one final moment in the limelight. Both teams keep formation. Then just as he is about to step off the ground, who do you think breaks ranks to go up to him to make sure he gets his mug in all the pics? Yep, the floggy one
Couldnt help himself could he

Reactions: 10 users

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
From the locker room point of view I think it is as simple as Danger is a lot easier to shut down.

He relies mostly on hitting stoppages at speed and exploding away with the footy. The coaches feel like he can be shut down by taking the space in front of him at a stoppage and having a defensive sweeper in case he does get through. Finals are so contested it is really hard for him to find the space to play his game, whereas Dustin just makes his own space by bulldozing through.

Up forward, he is again seen as a runner and jumper at the footy, so they feel like playing a good body defender who can remove his space to run nullifies him a lot. The advantage he usually has on that sort of player is he can explode if the ball is on the ground and get away but we have Grimes who can match him on both and in finals it is so contested it is again hard to make space.

Dustin on the other hand is the double threat. Take his space and he will just move you and win the contested ball and match his explosion and he will win the one on one.
Interesting analysis.

From my simplistic point of view, I often see Danger either in the air or on the ground.

Which means if he doesn't mark it, he finds it hard to play a role in the rest of the contest, and if he's on the ground, it's because he sometimes finds himself there a bit too easily and also cannot provide a meaningful contest.

Unlike Dusty, who keeps his feet on the ground because he knows that's how he can best impact the game.

Our man is rarely on his hands and knees and he never flies for a mark when chances are he will find himself out of the play.

Reactions: 3 users

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Diverclang to me is a very straight line player. As BR said this means he is not much of a lateral threat. Block his line and he will struggle a bit. Having said that he is some straight liner.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Great insights TBR. all that makes good sense. Something about Dusty being almost untackle-able though... its not just brute strength, there's some sort of agility and movement that means even when they are close they can't grab him and can't make it stick. On Saturday he was lethal with kicks, handpasses as well. Nearly all his goals he grabbed the ball, one or two steps and bang. He made space where there was none.

I almost think the first goal was the best - grabbed one handed and used the same hand to guide the ball onto the foot for the snap. Never used both hands. And with Kolodashian ten cms away from him the whole time.

Another think he did with the tackle on Stanley for the holding the ball, had him round the chest from behind - somehow realised Stanley was clutching the ball just above that - he flicks his hand up dislodging the ball and bang- holding the ball/incorrect disposal.

Stanley will be having nightmares for months the poor bastard

Reactions: 6 users

Mac

Tiger Champion
Sep 16, 2003
Diverclang to me is a very straight line player. As BR said this means he is not much of a lateral threat. Block his line and he will struggle a bit. Having said that he is some straight liner.

Diverclang! :rotfl2