Paddy Dangerdive | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Paddy Dangerdive

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
One point you’re missing is that it may not have been deliberate but under the guidelines the MRO has espoused is that careless, high contact, high impact has been deemed worthy of suspension.
so has “potential to inflict damage”
Dangerflogdiver had choices,
he could have taken possession of the ball and wore any forthcoming contact.
he could have turned sideward with his arm tucked in
he didn’t do any of the above. He chose to punch the ball away and raised his forearm to protect himself. He should wear the outcome.

As to your statement other Richmond players could have, would have remonstrated
Grimes was behind him and may not have seen the forearm out
Cotchin and Short were trailing Vlaustin, so he was between their vision and the point of contact. They may have thought it was a face to face clash.
How do you know that they weren’t instructed by Dimma to stay focussed on the game and avoid any transgressions ie as he had already voiced his displeasure with being undisciplined in the past couple of matches.

Talk about a flimsy argument to suit your own narrative
Spot on.

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Watched the hit again. I swear if you watch his bent arm, there is follow through after the collision. His arm moves further away from his body while connecting with Flossy. Can't believe there wasn't some intent, even if the intent was Danger's fear of physical contact.

Yeah, this seems right to me... I can understand trying to protect yourself, I've raised the elbow plenty of times in similar situations but never at someone's head.
I'm interested in how the people who see it as 'deliberate, dog act, blatant, lifted his arm etc' explain the complete lack of any remonstration from any Richmond player, despite the game being completely stopped for over 7 minutes and the incident being replayed multiple times?

Doesn't seem very Richmond man to watch one of your team mates be intentionally knocked unconscious and just stroll off into the huddle for a chat? The photo shows Nathan Broad standing next to Dangerfield right afterwards, and he certainly isn't backward in coming forward to fly the flag for his team mates.

To me the logical explanation is they all felt it was a normal footy collision with a really unfortunate outcome.

Yeah, could be the case TBR. I think its more a lack of duty of care than a deliberate dog act. What I can't abide is Danger's total lack of remorse or concern. Maybe I missed it but I didn't see him check on Tigger or go over to the cart, I guess he could have and they didn't show it.

I reckon Vlas doesn't care too much about whether Danger gets suspended or not, he's got a premiership medallion - his third. Probably unhappy he couldn't be out there to help the team more.

Reactions: 1 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Yeah, this seems right to me... I can understand trying to protect yourself, I've raised the elbow plenty of times in similar situations but never at someone's head.

Yeah, could be the case TBR. I think its more a lack of duty of care than a deliberate dog act. What I can't abide is Danger's total lack of remorse or concern. Maybe I missed it but I didn't see him check on Tigger or go over to the cart, I guess he could have and they didn't show it.

I reckon Vlas doesn't care too much about whether Danger gets suspended or not, he's got a premiership medallion - his third. Probably unhappy he couldn't be out there to help the team more.
Agree with this. I don't think it was deliberate but in the very least it was careless; possibly even reckless. It was high contact with extremely high impact and resulted in a player concussed and missing virtually the entire game. And Danger looked like he couldn't give a *smile*. I have no issue with that per se but he had other options. He could have grabbed the ball instead of punching it. I don't think he had to raise his forearm/elbow.

I just can't fathom how that can not result in a suspension. Especially when you consider that, as someone posted earlier, how Soldo was rubbed out after instinctively raising his arm to protect himself when Hawthorn player charged at him unexpectedly out of play after a goal. Clipped him under the jaw and gets a week?? Tom Lynch pushes Hurley; who is trying to retard him illegally, in the neck and it gets sent straight to the tribunal??

Madness. SHocking and Christian are just woeful.

Reactions: 5 users

wayne

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2007
Traralgon
Elbowfields 'Game Face' has overtaken the 'Power Stance' as the stupidest finals gimmick I've seen.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
Towner or Caddy would have fixed him up. I saw reckless /head high / high impact. He had a choice.

Imagine for one second that the roles were reversed. Tigga would have got weeks multiplied by 2.

Rodney... no case to answer! I call BS.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I'm interested in how the people who see it as 'deliberate, dog act, blatant, lifted his arm etc' explain the complete lack of any remonstration from any Richmond player, despite the game being completely stopped for over 7 minutes and the incident being replayed multiple times?

Doesn't seem very Richmond man to watch one of your team mates be intentionally knocked unconscious and just stroll off into the huddle for a chat? The photo shows Nathan Broad standing next to Dangerfield right afterwards, and he certainly isn't backward in coming forward to fly the flag for his team mates.

To me the logical explanation is they all felt it was a normal footy collision with a really unfortunate outcome.

I think our players were instructed before the game to be on their very best behaviour.

But I will throw this back - ok, impossible to say if it was deliberate without Dangerfield coming out and saying one way or the other.

How is this not reckless, high contact and how does this follow the previous advice from the AFL that the head is sacrosanct?

Almost identical to Cameron's one above.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
perhaps its 'mindfulness' by the players? maybe they're thinking if we get messed up about this it will only mess us up more and we'll get exhausted by expelling energy on something that's occurred rather than using it for future power within the game. it's what Emma Murray talks about. Control.

Reactions: 2 users

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Yeah a flimsy argument like suggesting that 21 players saw (either live or on the replay) their team mate knocked out, and decided to do nothing about it, not because there was nothing untoward in it, but because the coach told them to behave themselves in a game when there is no tomorrow.

Compared to that, I'm pretty comfortable with the weight of my they just saw it as a normal footy collision theory.

You can suggest whatever you like, that doesn’t make it fact.
Yeah 21 teammates saw it or the replay, do you actually expect them all to run up and remonstrate with the perpetrator minutes after, or when the medical staff or medical was on the field.? Or when play was restarted?
How do you what the coaches instructions were prematch?

”no tomorrow”. the ultimate prize was on the line. I know I’d rather them keep focussed on the job at hand rather than give a heap of penalties away or even if it ended in an all in brawl, one of our key players is injured.

Any player who inadvertently or accidentally injured an opponent and caused such an injury would have walked over to check on his well being. Well 99.9% would have if it was an accident. Except this flog.

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
"The AFL's legal counsel, Jeff Gleeson, argued that the reasonable action for a player to brace for contact would be to tuck his arms in, rather than raise them as Soldo did."

There you have it.

So Dangerflog not tucking his arm in should therefore be seen by the AFL's Legal Counsel as unreasonable.
Well researched Althom.

You took the passionate Tigers emotion away from the issue and simply cited the AFL Counsel.

Surely, the MRO is aware of the precedent set by his organisatio’s judicatory body.

The decision by MRO is contemptible.

Last edited:

immorta

~~we are eternal all this pain is an illusion~~
Mar 31, 2005
Melbourne
Haven't had a chance to read this whole thread, but from memory the ball was bounced at the restart after Nick was KO'd, not even a free kick was paid.

Am I wrong?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I actually come at that from the opposite position. I don't want the players getting anywhere near those situations, it's a medical emergency, no room for non-essentials.

I was impressed with the umpire barking at players to move away and not touch Simpson when he was ko'ed, only for Brian Taylor to start insisting they should be trying to remove his mouthguard.

Also fair.

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
I personally think at the very least, it should’ve been referred to the Tribunal. The mere fact that Christian didn’t even refer it to the Tribunal just reinforces that the process is broken, is a farce and is even corrupt. We have had reason this season to question Christian’s ability to make the hard calls. (Think Lynch’s “hit” on Hurley. His inability to make the call on his own was laughable).
And I know if we trusted the AFL’s processes we wouldn’t even think it possible, but I do ask the question “does dangerflop get a immunity card because he is AFLPA president?”
This is surely a reasonable question to ask given the AFLs romance with certain untouchable players. I honestly believe if it had been Parfitt, or Miers, or Atkins and not the big name player they would’ve been referred straight to the Tribunal and would’ve been suspended for 2-4 weeks. Just one of the inequities the AFL expect us to just accept.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
People forget he had 1 good game in the finals against a finished Collingwood.
As a forward he was average.
Dangerfield 1/4/0/1 total 6
Mudguts 0/4/2/1 total 7.

Us
Jack 2/0/1/2 Total 5
Lynch na/2/1/1 Total 4

Reactions: 1 user

Jake

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005
He gets off KO'd a bloke, Sydney and Callum get 10 weeks for eating a kebab.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users