Paddy Dangerdive | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Paddy Dangerdive

5SKULL5

What stands in the way, becomes the way!
Dec 20, 2004
Melbourne
A lot of bad energy directed at Paddywack during the GF. Was palpable at the ground. Not surprised it took him a while to recover....
To celebrate Paddy's pain, I've changed my avatar on here, to the moment the whole world realized, who is top dog and who is a stray cat.

Attachments

• dusty.jpg
    dusty.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
To celebrate Paddy's pain, I've changed my avatar on here, to the moment the whole world realized, who is top dog and who is a stray cat.

Dusty swung him off like he wasn't even there.
It wasn't like he didn't get a hand on him.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Tigers do the triple Premiership, the best Diverfield can do is the the Triple Lindy.

Reactions: 2 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Serious question, what does Dangerfield have to do to change the narrative of his career arc?

Is it flag or bust? Does have to shred a finals series with 3 BOGS and a flag?

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Serious question, what does Dangerfield have to do to change the narrative of his career arc?

Needs a flag to avoid the obvious tag of unfulfilled champion that footy history is littered with.

More importantly, I reckon he needs to shred a finals series rather than just a quality quarter or two in the occasional final.

Champion players sometimes don't get to win a flag, it's a team game n sometimes the team simply isn't quite good enough. Champion players however rarely have such mediocre or inconsistent performances in so many finals matches.
For mine, the Clench simply doesn't do enough when it matters most. Prime example being Dusty v the Clench in the 2019 prelim. Clench was struttin, posin n swaggerin in the first half when Dusty was struggling through a minor corky. Second half when a champion was needed the Dusty one pulled on the big boy pants n the Clench found a skid mark in his n went into hiding.

Reactions: 9 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
I think it will take a good game in a grand final to really elevate him but I also think the talk about it will die away after his career finishes.

After all, there are a lot more good players without premierships than with them and at the end of the day your chance of a premiership is only as good as the team you play in.
Agree when it’s club champions and one club stalwarts like Richo,or Trevor Barker who gave everything they had in sides that never made the big dance in their time but history isn’t so kind to players who leave their clubs with a perception of chasing a flag.
Figjam comes to mind.
Then when you have an opportunity to win one and you fail to fire a shot as obviously as he did ( lowest personal stats for the year), I’d suggest that if he doesn’t get another crack at it, a legacy may follow him.
If only in our minds and his!!

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Agree when it’s club champions and one club stalwarts like Richo,or Trevor Barker who gave everything they had in sides that never made the big dance in their time but history isn’t so kind to players who leave their clubs with a perception of chasing a flag.
Figjam comes to mind.
Then when you have an opportunity to win one and you fail to fire a shot as obviously as he did ( lowest personal stats for the year), I’d suggest that if he doesn’t get another crack at it, a legacy may follow him.
If only in our minds and his!!
I think he’ll be looked at in the same way Figjam is, highly talented player, but unable to get a flag. In some ways Figgy is better, because he at least won a Normie in a losing side.

Reactions: 5 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
More like a Dangerflub than a Triple Lindy
Certainly was a different comic.
One of my favourites growing up.

Dangerfield- unless he gets rid of the me, me, me and puff out chest and be more team, team, team he may not fulfil or change the narrative.

Reactions: 3 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
  1. Nine
  2. Sport
  3. AFL

'Dark cave': Dangerfield reveals emotional pain of grand final loss​

Marc Churches
By Marc Churches
2 hours ago

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/patric...al-loss/78d3b11a-644d-407e-8aa6-ff5e443a20ae#
Geelong's loss to the Tigers in last month's AFL Grand Final.
Dangerfield, 30, was unable to steer his side to victory in what was his first-ever grand final. He scored one goal for the Cats but would finish the match with just 12 disposals. ( And made to look like a lower league player)
Already a Brownlow Medallist and eigh-time All-Australian, a premiership medal was virtually the last thing the Geelong star needed to cap off a perfect AFL resume. ”I feel I’m entitled to win multiple premierships. Look at Dusty.“ ( We did ya peanut. He made it look so easy kicking goal of the year after he flicked you over the boundary line)

Reminiscing on how he handled the loss, Dangerfield admitted he struggled with his emotions after it took him an extended period of time to pick himself up following the grand final heartache. “ I’m a sook when things don’t go my way” ( No *smile* kidding)
https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fedc5ccbf-4047-41e3-b7ed-4427e14f5da9
Patrick Dangerfield (Getty)
"Not super well," he told SEN'. (Still sook’ing)

"It took me a while to get out of the dark cave I was in there for a while. ( You’d be scared of the dark. You mean your bedroom with a nightlight)
"Eddie Betts probably sums it up well – in an interview he was talking about the AFL Grand Final and he said it's the best day and worst day all encapsulated into one. “ ken umpires could have given me more free kicks as I couldn’t find the ball myself”
"It was certainly a bit of that, it was a wonderful achievement to put ourselves in a position to play in a Grand Final and we would have loved a different result, but Richmond were spectacular and they deserve it. ( And my weak as *smile* team mates didn’t stand up for me to win myself a premiership)
https://wwos.nine.com.au/videos/afl...-lack-of-leadership/ckhmf7a2q001k0gqljeyuwawt
"They've been an incredible side over a long period of time and they are the benchmark, the challenge is in front of us and we feel with the players we've brought in, that we'll be every bit as competitive come next season. “ well I hope so, Geelong sold the farm to get me my premiership “

nb. Some comments have been added for troof

Normally you do these types of interviews after about a year of difficult introspection and depression, Danger's gone way to early on this.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

I think as TBR said the problem for him is his game is well-understood, and he can be locked down in finals too easily. H&A against poorer sides he looks great, but in big finals oppo coaches know that closing him out is necessary. And we did that. No impact in the midfield, none up forward. No big marks from Danger in the GF.

Dusty you know what he will do, good luck stopping him doing it.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
I’ve gotta let this thread go.....after this ...

I feel a bit yuck for defending Chris Scott again, but just to revisit this commentary around “he should have put Danger in the middle in the third”, I note the following -
Both Dusty and Danger started the third in the forward line.
Dusty had a massive impact, including a goal.
Danger was ineffectual.
The point I’m making here is that contradictory to an argument that maybe Dusty had the opportunity to impact the game because we got on top, it’s relevant to note that both teams had 10 inside 50’s each in the third.
This is the difference in the two players that is symbolically embodied in that last glorious goal.

And the commentary on Chris Scott’s coaching decisions is only a thing because Chris Scott brings it up whenever they win so he can look like a genius. He’s always implying he made some kind of brilliant coaching move to win the match.

Compare that to Dimma. When we won in 2017 after many doubted his coaching abilities, he had every right to talk himself up a little. But he didn’t make a single self-aggrandising statement. He put 100% of the praise on the playing group, built them up, and played himself down.

Those individuals down at Geelong use far too many words to shape how they’re perceived.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
I think he’ll be looked at in the same way Figjam is, highly talented player, but unable to get a flag. In some ways Figgy is better, because he at least won a Normie in a losing side.

I haven’t watched many Geelong games over the past few years, and I don’t follow AFL talk shows or read the newspapers, so my perception about the Clench has been formed from watching him play Richmond.

He’s barely a good player IMO.

His media reputation doesn’t fit what I see on the field. At all. Maybe he feeds them info to make them like him, and in exchange for the info, they talk him up. The guy can’t even kick a football but they talk as if he’s the most likeable and the best.

Even a 31yo Deledio was better in finals, yet Lids never got a tenth of the praise. The Clench simply isn’t in the same stratosphere as Dusty, and I’ve never thought he was close based on what I’ve seen over the past 4 years.

I’m glad the public by large now agrees.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Normally you do these types of interviews after about a year of difficult introspection and depression, Danger's gone way to early on this.
What's the poor bloke gunna do if they reach next years Granny n fail again? He's already shot the depressed n introspective bolt. Can't run the poor poor pitiful me two years in a row.

Reactions: 1 users

TGM

Tiger Rookie
Apr 6, 2009
I think as TBR said the problem for him is his game is well-understood, and he can be locked down in finals too easily. H&A against poorer sides he looks great, but in big finals oppo coaches know that closing him out is necessary. And we did that. No impact in the midfield, none up forward. No big marks from Danger in the GF.

Dusty you know what he will do, good luck stopping him doing it.

I think there are very few teams that have a Grimes/Broad defender let alone 2. Both are almost the perfect physical specimens to match him up as well as being outstanding defenders.
I will use St kilda as an example. They have Carlisle and the guy from Port and a lot of smalls. They are either too big and slow or too small and weak. We are in a very lucky position in my opinion.

Reactions: 6 users

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
2017 Paddy is trying, 2019 Paddy is still trying, 2020 Paddy is very trying.

Reactions: 3 users