Paddy Dangerdive | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Paddy Dangerdive

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
I think it will take a good game in a grand final to really elevate him but I also think the talk about it will die away after his career finishes.

After all, there are a lot more good players without premierships than with them and at the end of the day your chance of a premiership is only as good as the team you play in.

But isn't that the point. Geelong is one of the better teams running around. Swap Martin and Dangerfield and which team wins??

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
For Geelong to win a flag it needs its best ball getter to be able to use his disposal skills to bring team mates into the game. Danger doesn't have that ability.
To have any chance at a flag next season, it might need him to play mostly alone in the forward 50, with Hawkins at half-forward.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
For Geelong to win a flag it needs its best ball getter to be able to use his disposal skills to bring team mates into the game. Danger doesn't have that ability.
To have any chance at a flag next season, it might need him to play mostly alone in the forward 50, with Hawkins at half-forward.

But they will also have Cameron in the forward line.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Dangerdive, Dangerelbow, Diverfield, Clanger, Poserfield, Paddywack, Dangerdarkcave, Dangerflop, Dustyjocksniffer, Dangerdive, Dangerflog, Elbowfield, Clangerflop, Stagerfield, the Clench, ...

time for a quick collation of Little Pattys colourful pseudonyms as coined by PRE ..

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Dangerdive, Dangerelbow, Diverfield, Clanger, Poserfield, Paddywack, Dangerdarkcave, Dangerflop, Dustyjocksniffer, Dangerdive, Dangerflog, Elbowfield, Clangerflop, Stagerfield, the Clench, ...

time for a quick collation of Little Pattys colourful pseudonyms as coined by PRE ..
Flopperfield

Reactions: 3 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
They call him a line breaker.
The only line he broke in the G.F was the one when he was lining up to cheer off a real champion

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland

I like Backflip “Car Keys” Stagerflop

Car Keys is from the image a few pages back - things that go missing when you really need them

• Wow

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I really cannot stand Dangerfield but there is some serious underrating of him as a footballer. Crazy to compare him to dusty, there simply is no other. But he's a star that perhaps has tried too hard and not been able to deliver in the biggest moments (reality is not many can, that's why they are big moments).

Buckley was a star that didn't achieve team success, Reiwoldt another. Dangerfield will rightfully be remembered in a similar vein. (cause there's no way the cats win a flag now).

Reactions: 1 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
On face value you would say it's as simple as that and I made the same comment after the game but after further thought I think it is too simplistic.

Would Dustin take the game by the collar against our defensive system? Grimes matching up on him, Vlastuin or Broad coming plus 1 into every contest because Baker sacrifices to free them.

Would he be able to generate clearance and then move forward because a hard runner like Lambert dedicates himself to covering the spread and the fleet of small forwards will close down his opponent when he hands back?

Would he be free to attack knowing he has a mighty ruckman and on ball brigade that will compete and contest despite conceding an out number at almost every clearance so that we can maintain the structure we want to have to maximise his opportunity?

Will he have the key forwards who are versatile enough to switch structure throughout the game to provide him with space and protect him from the extra number? Will they have the synergy to know when to isolate him and when to contest and give him a crumb?

I think if they did swap teams it is quite likely we still win and Dangerfield becomes a much more influential player because I think our team strengths are the difference that allow a great player to produce greatness so consistently. I have no doubt Geelong want to run their own system to maximise Dangerfield but for whatever reason it doesn't stand up, which is likely a bit about him and a bit about Geelong and a bit about the opposition.

Possibly BR.

But I think it has STILL a lot to do with the player. I.e. Dusty than it does about Dangerfield.

I guess we could ask the same question.

Could Dusty excel at a side like the Cats the way they play, structure up and are coached??

Think there are so many variables to the argument you make but at the end lies one constant.

Dustin Martins mindset, ability, team orientated, selfless , single minded acts are on another level right know , that he could still cause headaches to our defence.( at training )

( disclaimer.. my view )

Last edited:

wayne

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2007
Traralgon
The Diverfield v Hawks game is on now.

He goes down like he was shot, carries on like a flog calling for trainers, and then kicks a bag and limps when he takes a mark and has the cameras focussed on him.

• Haha

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
The Diverfield v Hawks game is on now.

He goes down like he was shot, carries on like a flog calling for trainers, and then kicks a bag and limps when he takes a mark and has the cameras focussed on him.

I don't agree with Cornes on alot of things, but the morning he called Dangerfield out as an "poser & actor' when it came to injuries. Was spot on.
I still cannot believe the media haven't highlighted the 20 times in the GF he played for a free kick.
He spent the entire night trying to convince the umpires he was pushed or blocked in every contest.
Better players then him has missed out on winning a flag, what makes him so special??

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
I don't agree with Cornes on alot of things, but the morning he called Dangerfield out as an "poser & actor' when it came to injuries. Was spot on.
And the funny thing is since that call out he has never played injured since.

• Wow

ninjahaha

Sponsored by Takeda Pharmaceutical
Feb 22, 2014
the shadows
On Dusty in a cats side...

I ponder wether dusty's internal mindset and the contrasting external behaviour's, especially early days would have thrived and blossomed in a side without the support and care for individuals that was developed at punt road.

No hardnut
No Mrs Hardnut
No cotch
No Cotch's kids
No Balmy
No benny
No Peggy
No Emma

Sliding doors is usually a game for Flogs. (yes I'm talking about him)

But the on field star is a product of a truly gifted kid supported to grow into a solid human, cultivated by a culture. Plenty of gun kids with potential. Many left in the dust by players with self discipline.

Reactions: 6 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
I still cannot believe the media haven't highlighted the 20 times in the GF he played for a free kick.
He spent the entire night trying to convince the umpires he was pushed or blocked in every contest.
Better players then him has missed out on winning a flag, what makes him so special??
Looking again at the GF and at his hit on NV. Afterwards he never looks down or in NV's direction at all. This hit and its impact came as no surprise.

• Angry
Reactions: 7 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
They call him a line breaker.
The only line he broke in the G.F was the one when he was lining up to cheer off a real champion
He broke the boundary line exceptionally well when Dusty shrugged him off.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
B-Grade actor. looking for a gig on Home and Away next season ..

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Serious question, what does Dangerfield have to do to change the narrative of his career arc?

Is it flag or bust? Does have to shred a finals series with 3 BOGS and a flag?

Winning the Norm Smith playing for the losing side would be enough I reckon.