Paddy Naish - where is he at? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Paddy Naish - where is he at?

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
spook said:
First goal is exactly what I'm talking about. Waiting out the fat side, 10 metres wider than anyone else. You really think he's going to get that largesse at AFL level? (By the way, he only got that opportunity because Menadue outmarked a ruckman, ran around him, had two bounces while dodging three more bad guys, and found Turner for the cross.)

Second highlight: marks a poor Norf kick, lovely goal.

3: widest man again, receives a handball, has two bounces, handballs even wider to Rioli, follows up, wins a loose ball and hits a lovely centering kick to Silvestro.

4: They didn't show the tackle that won him the free - the bloke fell over and Naish was one of two who didn't have to do much more than hold him. Good kick.

5: Wide again, receives handball, cuts back in incisively, burns the jets and a beautiful kick inside 50. His best play of the day.

6: Wide again, receives handball in D50, hits Graham in 50 metres of space with a 40m kick. Garthwaite can do that.

7: Gets a block from CJ and takes an uncontested mark.

8: Receives handball in space at half-back, lovely weighted 45m kick for Ballard to run onto at CHF.

9: Norf defender shanks a kick straight to him, he slightly over hits the kick to Miller but it's a walk-in goal.

Some nice moments showcasing his class, but nothing compared to what Menadue did against Freo. Nothing contested. Nothing defensive. They didn't show him kick into the man on the mark in D50, stroll after the loose ball, get pushed over like he was a child, and watch Garner kick the goal. They didn't show his half-hearted chases (remember Menadue chasing that Freo bloke for 40 metres and nailing him to seal the game? I don't think Naish has ever done anything like that.)

I'm not bagging him. I'm just presenting evidence as to why he's not ready. If we want to drop an extra bloke I'll be as keen as anyone to see how he goes, but no way does he play in front of Menadue. He's behind him.

But can he kick?

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
I know for a fact , he was very very close to being selected in the game against freo ,

He was told how close he was , and I know someone who knows his family ,

( was that the game that menadue came back in ? That part wasn’t mentioned but I’m guessing it was between the two )

So he can’t be far off

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I know it’s a very simple way to look at it , however for me Naish is in his second season and Menadue is in his fifth and doing no better then Naish, though Naish has played a little bit forward, he has mainly played off half back or wing , however his still has had the ability to hit the scoreboard, I really like that in a wingman. I think the Club has used Naishs first 18 months at the club well to round out his deficiencies and in recent weeks his gone back to a more attacking game. For me Naish will end up been the better player then Menadue, just has more footballer in him imho, but the fact is neither are garunteed to make the grade , interesting to see who gets the nod this week, hopefully it’s not raining if Menadue gets the nod 8-

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Rather give naish a go than watch the weak efforts and up and under kicks of ellis.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
spook said:
First goal is exactly what I'm talking about. Waiting out the fat side, 10 metres wider than anyone else. You really think he's going to get that largesse at AFL level? (By the way, he only got that opportunity because Menadue outmarked a ruckman, ran around him, had two bounces while dodging three more bad guys, and found Turner for the cross.)

3: widest man again, receives a handball, has two bounces, handballs even wider to Rioli, follows up, wins a loose ball and hits a lovely centering kick to Silvestro.

4: They didn't show the tackle that won him the free - the bloke fell over and Naish was one of two who didn't have to do much more than hold him. Good kick.

5: Wide again, receives handball, cuts back in incisively, burns the jets and a beautiful kick inside 50. His best play of the day.

6: Wide again, receives handball in D50, hits Graham in 50 metres of space with a 40m kick. Garthwaite can do that.

8: Receives handball in space at half-back, lovely weighted 45m kick for Ballard to run onto at CHF.

9: Norf defender shanks a kick straight to him, he slightly over hits the kick to Miller but it's a walk-in goal.

Some nice moments showcasing his class, but nothing compared to what Menadue did against Freo. Nothing contested. Nothing defensive. They didn't show him kick into the man on the mark in D50, stroll after the loose ball, get pushed over like he was a child, and watch Garner kick the goal. They didn't show his half-hearted chases (remember Menadue chasing that Freo bloke for 40 metres and nailing him to seal the game? I don't think Naish has ever done anything like that.)

I'm not bagging him. I'm just presenting evidence as to why he's not ready. If we want to drop an extra bloke I'll be as keen as anyone to see how he goes, but no way does he play in front of Menadue. He's behind him.

Thanks for taking the time to critique that spook. Like I have said he's not a finished product but does have upside. I'm not sure how much Menadue has left in him (maybe critique his last snr game).
It's time to expose Naish to the higher level. IMO it will further his development playing with good players & seeing what is required, not hinder it.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Tigers of Old said:
Thanks for taking the time to critique that spook. Like I have said he's not a finished product but does have upside. I'm not sure how much Menadue has left in him (maybe critique his last snr game).
It's time to expose Naish to the higher level. IMO it will further his development playing with good players & seeing what is required, not hinder it.

Yep.

glenn downing

Tiger Cub
Jun 2, 2014
Having watched all of the VFL tigers games this year, I agree that it is time to expose Naish to the top level. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Who knows, maybe the Geelong players will take him a bit too lightly. To me, Menadue is unfortunately one of those "in between" players - a bit too good for the VFL but not really good enough for the top level.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
spook said:

I haven't seen Menadue hit a kick like points 3, 4 and 5 in his time at the club. What Menadue did at Freo was the high point of 5 years. I'll eat my hat if Paddy can't product that Freo game times 2 in the next 18 months at AFL level.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
SCOOP said:
I haven't seen Menadue hit a kick like points 3, 4 and 5 in his time at the club. What Menadue did at Freo was the high point of 5 years. I'll eat my hat if Paddy can't product that Freo game times 2 in the next 18 months at AFL level.
With respect, SCOOP, Menadue could levitate 10 feet off the ground in your front yard and you wouldn't see it. Your mind is set. He has hit kicks like that. They are both beautiful kicks.

You undervalue his Freo game, it was better than any game Short's played. Not that I expect you to agree!

Anyhoo, Menadue v. Naish is a false dichotomy. We need both of them going forward.

They both play wing/halfback. Naish could maybe play HFF if he improved his defensive efforts by 10,000 percent. (Ferguson in this week's VFL report: "He just needs to make sure he keeps being diligent with the defensive side of his game in keeping the pressure on." Translation: he bludges. On Menadue: "We sent him into the midfield in the last quarter to see what he could do and he did okay." Translation: we were hoping he'd do better.) So, wing/halfback, for both.

Our three running halfbacks are Houli, Edwards and Stack. Houli is a 200-game near Norm Smith winner in AA form. Edwards is a 200-game near Norm Smith winning AA in AA form. Stack is a prodigy, and probably a champion. None of Menadue, Naish, Eggs, Short or Markov are taking their spots in any case other than injury.

We have two wings in the 22: KMac and Brando, with mids like Prestia and Lambert rotating there. They ain't getting KMac's spot. Brando is a different story. He has played five droppable games this year, and five arse-saving games. If we could afford it, he'd be kicking the dew, but it's all experienced hands on deck at present. We're too young for a fit 150-gamer to be in the twos. Lucky for him.

But. There is no guarantee Brando will be there next year. Or Houli. If Houli is, it's probably his last year, considering he contemplated retirement at the end of 2018. Edwards is the same age as him.

So, by 2021 or earlier, we're going to need a new wingman and at least one new running halfback. And backups. In 2021 we want to be contending. It's the last year of Jack and Rance's contracts - they'll turn 33 and 32 respectively at the end of the season. We don't want teenagers taking Houli and Brandon's spots. We want mature bodies. We need someone to come in and break a line like Houli does. Menadue does. Markov can. The others don't.

I do not subscribe to this deadline model of when a player has to 'make it' by. History shows it to be nonsense, as does common sense. 'Best 22' and who is next in line is nonsense too, because it depends what positions go down.

There are only five positions in the 22 Naish and Menadue can play: one of the two wings, or one of the three halfbacks. They are currently taken. We could fit one in by moving Edwards, or dropping a small forward and having Prestia and Lambert rotate forward instead of to the wing.

But in two years time, we will need both Menadue and Naish. 24 and 22 in 2021. That's succession planning.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Menedue has the skill set but not the attitude. Needs mongrel and quickly. He and Ben Griffiths cut from the same cloth. Far too nice with lack of aggression on the big stage. Aggression to win, aggression to gut run, aggression to compete.
I'm throwing in Turner as a buy with a rocket for next year. I've seen enough to know he will give a couple in front of him wind burn on the way through.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Go Naishy! Show us what you got as that number 6 is ready for you next season.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Naishy over the Menadue .. ouch

Go Naishy - goal with your first kick will do me nicely - no pressure on the kid on a big Friday night game

Brave move by the selectors

Mopsy

"I can feel Tigermania flowing through my veins"
Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane
Here's hoping the kid does well.

Congrats, and welcome to the big time Naishy!

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Yes. Go Naish. Looking forward to watching naish hit lynch lace out

< AFWL | Sheeds >