Paddy Naish - where is he at? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Paddy Naish - where is he at?

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Bit harsh from the Club to only announce the one delisting and single him out. Surely there are more to follow.
Must've been an idiot someway. Even stranger in that it wasn't too long ago he was given the number 6.

Cooper O'Reilly

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 5, 2021
Would have liked to see Paddy make it, as much for his old man as anyone else. Loved watching Chris play.

I will never forget his second half in the 1995 Semi against Essendon. He was one of the players who came to the fore in that great fightback. Whilst Scotty Turners hip and shoulder putting Gary O'Donnell to sleep was the catalyst, Naish, Daffy and Rogers really turned it on in the second half if memory serves me correctly.

That was easily my most favorite day at the footy. Until 2017 of course.

Reactions: 8 users

Berwick boy

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2004
Reading the Naish threads and the knocks on him at junior level have been borne out. Avid junior watchers called him an outside and slow player who couldn't win his own ball and didn't run defensively. The other thing I noted is he has been exposed to elite training facilities for nigh on 5 years now. He doesn't appear to have put on any size not does he have an AFL wingers tank.

He's like Connor Menadue without the pace.
Nailed it.

Reactions: 1 user

wigglyworm

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 22, 2008
I reckon someone will take a rookie punt but he will end up off an AFL list this year or in a year or two. Similar to Connor Menadue.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
A victim of timing Naish to a certain degree.

Drafted at a time when as a team we were dominant.

In another era would have been given more opportunities no doubt.

Good luck to him moving forward
Agree.
Sad but unfortunately writing was on the wall. Supposedly 182cm but only 75kg. Too light to compete at the top level probably.

I generally think that a guy who can play successfully at VFL level can make it above. He still might at another club if he can add some kgs of muscle gradually. Unlucky for him to turn up in this era. Still reckon youngsters need 15-25 games to give a truer indication - see Jack Ross.

Seemed a great kid with the right attitude. I had genuine hope for him. Best of luck with your future, Paddy.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
I was seduced by his kicking and assumed - wrongly - that the club could put some mongrel in him.

Good luck on future endeavours Paddy.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Naish out is correct, not disputing this one.

But KMac, George, Aarts, Parker still in.

Dimma must be really confident we can still play agricultural footy in 2022.

• Sad

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
Bit harsh from the Club to only announce the one delisting and single him out. Surely there are more to follow.
They are meeting with a few players each day so the sooner they announce it the better it is for Pat. Gives other clubs more time to assess how he might be useful to them in their drafting plan. Other delistings to come.

Reactions: 1 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Their has to be a reason for Paddy's early delisting that we don't know about but we should expect the mass culling will probably happen after the JD show.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Who knows he might have said cut me now if the decision has been made. When people leave companies some choose to leave immediately others to work out the notice period. And in all other years I don't recall delistings being done in bulk. And yes there are more to follow.

fat-fifty-footmad

Tiger Cub
Oct 6, 2017
Naish out is correct, not disputing this one.

But KMac, George, Aarts, Parker still in.

Dimma must be really confident we can still play agricultural footy in 2022.
First off - best of luck to Paddy, all the evidence was he gave it a red hot crack he just either wasn't quite there or at least not there for what we needed.

Second - that last point is a consideration for a lot of other guys on the list above, its not about whether you are a great player, rather are you great at the job you've got. KMac is not a great player, he's barely a good player BUT he's perhaps one of the best fat side wingers/corridor controllers in the game - when he's on the field the corridor is generally off limits to the oppo. I think that's a requirement for every team regardless of play style.

The others Im less sure of - and I suspect contracts and/or just no obvious alternatives is keeping people in work for some.

Reactions: 4 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
First off - best of luck to Paddy, all the evidence was he gave it a red hot crack he just either wasn't quite there or at least not there for what we needed.

Second - that last point is a consideration for a lot of other guys on the list above, its not about whether you are a great player, rather are you great at the job you've got. KMac is not a great player, he's barely a good player BUT he's perhaps one of the best fat side wingers/corridor controllers in the game - when he's on the field the corridor is generally off limits to the oppo. I think that's a requirement for every team regardless of play style.

The others Im less sure of - and I suspect contracts and/or just no obvious alternatives is keeping people in work for some.

Agree on KMac’s strengths in terms of controlling the fat side, and he has done it very well.

Game is changing though, I hope he still finds a place in 2022 and that there isn’t undue pressure on him to deliver the pill lace out.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Tough gig being a father son selection I reckon. ... if they don't actually exceed expectations they tend to be considered a fail.
Anyway, good luck to Patrick, he always appeared upbeat and popular around the group and no doubt that attitude helped towards our recent success.

fat-fifty-footmad

Tiger Cub
Oct 6, 2017
Agree on KMac’s strengths in terms of controlling the fat side, and he has done it very well.

Game is changing though, I hope he still finds a place in 2022 and that there isn’t undue pressure on him to deliver the pill lace out.
Yeah, the test on KMac will be if the oppo become happy to play through him, ie he doesn't represent enough of a threat ( he wont intercept or if he does they wont care because he'll just hand it back) so the corridor/fat side becomes open.

Personally I think he's actually done ok this year in a year when everything else went to *smile*. Basically we got smashed in stoppages, our defence lost all cohesion and the forwards didn't really defend or score - I don't think changing the fat side winger solves those problems. (but changing aarts/george might).

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Yeah, the test on KMac will be if the oppo become happy to play through him, ie he doesn't represent enough of a threat ( he wont intercept or if he does they wont care because he'll just hand it back) so the corridor/fat side becomes open.

Personally I think he's actually done ok this year in a year when everything else went to *smile*. Basically we got smashed in stoppages, our defence lost all cohesion and the forwards didn't really defend or score - I don't think changing the fat side winger solves those problems. (but changing aarts/george might).

Yes, I’m inclined to agree with all of that. Time will tell my friend.

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
Must've been an idiot someway. Even stranger in that it wasn't too long ago he was given the number 6.
I doubt anything like that happened based on what we know of his character and behaviour. More likely he wanted an answer asap so he could look at other options.
He was given no. 6 in honour of his dad Chris, not because they thought he was a top player.

< AFWL | Sheeds >