Pagans Paddock | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pagans Paddock

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
At the risk of igniting the Old Coaches arguement, I must admit to being somewhat impressed with what PAGAN has done with Carlton so far this year.

He has even managed to turn FEVOLA around.

As much as I hate the blue baggers it will be interesting to see if they can maintain it. They impressed me against Collingwood then knocked over Essendon.

Seems that PAGAN has rejuvinated a few careers down at Optus Oval, mind you he didn't have much choice.

Please don't turn this into a "sack the coach" argument again. I know it will be hard not to but.........

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
I think it is still too early to judge. Any club nearly always appears to do better the first year of a new coach as everyone seems to get a new lease of life. We won 8 out of 10 games between rounds 5 and 14 under Danny in 2000 before the massive injury toll got the better of us. Pagan has installed a new gameplan at Carlton so opposition sides will take a while to sus it out. Having Kouta, Whitnall and Hulme back this year gives them more direction and resilience.

Carlton were more desperate than Essendon last night. Whether they can keep it up for the whole year is debatable. Essendon again tried to play slick dry weather footy in the pouring rain. The bombers did the same last year against Collingwood on Anzac Day.

I agree about Fevola. What Pagan has done to get his attitude right is amazing.

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
Please don't turn this into a "sack the coach" argument again. I know it will be hard not to but.........

but but but its a damn shame we dont have a coach of the calibre of Denis Pagan at Punt Rd. What a breath of fresh air he would make to the joint.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
diggler said:

but but but its a damn shame we dont have a coach of the calibre of Denis Pagan at Punt Rd. What a breath of fresh air he would make to the joint.

As a club we only have ourselves to blame with our past obession over the last 20 years or more of repeatedly sacking the coach as a quick fix solution. We all know it got to the stage at the end of 1999 when most coaches both experienced and some rookie wouldn't even touch us with a bargepole.

Danny is still learning the caper and has and will make mistakes. He would have learnt alot about himself and the players from both 2001 and especially 2002. That's why getting Greg Miller to the club was important. He brings experience to the football department and someone Danny can bounce ideas off. Compared to Danny's peers - Schwab, Thomson, Thomas, etc... IMO we are much better off.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
If I was given a choice of coaches I'd take Denis Pagan miles ahead of the Sheedy's and Wallace's that people harp on about as Richmond coach.

I also bet if Denis Pagan had coached Richmond we wouldn't have had this prolonged period of limited success.

He has a real gift to make players believe in themselves and to play as a team with heaps of passion.

I doubt any other coach would have got as much out of the Roos last season, and I suspect that the Pagan impact has a lot to do with the Blues looking better each week.

There's no room for over inflated egos or not giving 100% in a Denis Pagan team.

He's shown a willingness to disclipine any player he feels isn't performing up to his capabilities. A reputation won't get you a spot the team each week.

He has a great record with young kids and with the rejects from other clubs.

IMO he's got the most out of limited teams and he always fires them up to overcome adversity.

Denis Pagan coached teams are tough and honest. If I had to take a coach from the current 16 Denis Pagan would be way up the top of my list.

And Onya Blues, so glad you beat the Bummers. ;D

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
I am also starting to wonder if a lot of Dennis PAGAN hasn't carried over into Dean LAIDLEY's style. He is another coach that seems to be enjoying remarkable success with a team that was not rated to highly this year.

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
Yes, North looked real good tonight. And to think some people mentioned them as potential wooden spooners.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
gustiger12 said:
I am also starting to wonder if a lot of Dennis PAGAN hasn't carried over into Dean LAIDLEY's style.

The Roos certainly look to have that Paganesque belief about them Gus. Then again Laidley was a never say die kind of player, and he's inherited a group of guys who've been coached that way as well.

Maybe the Pagan influence will produce some successful coaches, just like Tommy Hafey's did.

I just watched the 1987 game against the Weagles and Dean Laidley was the skinniest 17yo kid starting out his career. For all the talk about building players bodies up etc, there was never much of Junkie, but his heart and courage were evident from the start.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
LMAO, yeah the junk yard dog was paper thin! Just goes to show that courage, determination and footy nous can overcome deficiencies in muscle, strength and ahtleticism.

I watched that game with the weagles earlier in the week. Loved seeing Maurice Rioli tear them up. Love watching his nephew tear them up nowadays as well.

Damn Voss!