PASS PASS PASS | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

PASS PASS PASS

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
After all the speculation and guessing and having pick no 2 in the pre-season draft.

Richmond picks .... er PASS (don't much about him)

That's it folks they did not select anybody.

Will be interesting to see who they take in the rookie draft

By the way Bolton went to Sydney
:-/

Source = AFL website

R

Rampaging Richo

So we go in to the season proper with a list that is 3 players short???

This obviously indicates that the rookie draft will be VERY important as it is likely that one or two of the kids on our rookie list will get elevated to the main list at some stage.

For nostalgia value, it would be great if we pick up Lucas McGhie. Can play but had a lean back half of the season in the TAC Cup. Always a good thing to give a former great's son a crack at the big time. And at 192cm a handy back up at either end.. ;)

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
no real suprise the draft was pretty thin this year.
the 200 we saved will do one of 2 things.
with johnson raming the ball down richo,s throat richo will have a huge year therefore the 200 we saved on the non selection some of it will go towards richo,s performanced based contract ;D

or next year for the 1at time a a fair while we can go after a player without worrying about the salary cap.

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
I must say I am a little confused by the events at the Draft regarding Shir.

I have been told by a couple people (my spies as I call them) that he has been training really well and everyone (especially the players) are impressed with his attitude.

Why didn't they pick him???? He didn't put a price on his head - would have been are bargain. Only 20 I think. Hope we get him in the rookie draft or Greg Beck will have some more question to answer

Just seems strange to me that's all

johnson2richo2003

Dec 19, 2002
our 1st selection in the rookie draft we have gone for kelvin moore.
isnt he a tad old to be a rookie ;D

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
Well he is currently unemployed after being sacked by the Hawks as Chairman of Selectors ;D

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
And I see that the Bulldogs have passed on its round 1 rookie draft selection - now that is weird :-/

tro-boy

Get in my belly
Dec 18, 2002
Melbourne
www.austinpowers.com
I think that Sydney must have been playing mind games with Richmond. Cant believe we handed over Bolten to Sydney.

I was rapt with our trading but extremely disappointed with both drafts. 2 washed up players, a late round pick who may be a smokie (Sipthorpe) and a first round draft pick who did not even make the u/18 All Australian squad and will take 4 years to get to a playing weight which will make him even competitive.

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
Well that makes me a bit happier :D

I am going to keep an eye on that kid and keep everyone updated on his progress - he will be my "work in process" project.

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
I am with you tro-boy been very disappointed with the 2 drafts.

With Bolton it wasn't the $ it was 2 year committment they baulked at.

Which brings me back to why didn't the draft Shir in the pre-season draft at practically the same money they will pay him as a rookie  ???

johnson2richo2003

Dec 19, 2002
and we have picked up adam pickering from the blues.
another brittan inside job i think.least the pickering dynasty continues at tigerland. ;D

i am a bit puzzled while i dont no very much about 2 of the picks why we at least didnt pick up a tall.a bit puzzling i must say.
ps.we passed on our last selection.

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
And Ezra Poyas got picked by Melbourne at pick 43 in the Rookie Draft - his last chance I reckon

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
With Bolton it wasn't the $ it was 2 year committment they baulked at.

Which brings me back to why didn't the draft Shir in the pre-season draft at practically the same money they will pay him as a rookie ???

Rookie salaries don't count towards the salary cap unless they get promoted onto the senior list.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
I can understand why we might have and eventually did pass on Bolton given he wanted a 2-year contract but not why we passed altogether. We must've been close to the cap as we originally thought.

B

BONES

does anyone know the height or anything about our first rookie pick in Kelvin Moore.

why pass last couple of picks- when the amount does not go into the cap. Why not pick up a tall like McGhie or Butler who played for Coburg last year - it is hard to follow their thinking - they are full on just picking guys tried at other clubs for short term fixers.

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
Bones - hello and welcome

You may have a point but to be able to participate I would have thought they would have had to have had enough room in their cap to be able to pay the base salary applicable. As Bolton was the only player today who put a price on his head any played they picked on the pre-season draft would been picked on Richmonds terms not the players.

MT - I understand what you are saying about the rookie salaries not being included but I just think if we can afford a full list + rookies then that is what we should have done.

And I am not happy about passing twice in the rookie draft. Take 2 more taller rookies eg McGhie and see how they go for Coburg and then if they stand out we have first option on them at the end of 2003 for 2004. Teams are allowed to promote from the rookie draft prior to the national draft if they choose