Passion! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Passion!

A

admin

I was just reading the cover of the video 'A Tiger Tale'
It says
-Richmond in 1995
-Unprecedented support
-Stunning onfield performances
-A step closer to the ultimate goal.

That made think of the difference from that 1995 team to our current one.
I'd think our list has improved over the years.
That 1995 team was accused of relying too much on passion.
I think that's a major difference now. This current team doesn't appear to have much of that 'us against them' attitude. That obvious passion the team had for each other and for success.
It was a John Northey coached trait imo.
I wish he left the blueprints....(and his gameplan ones as well) behind.
Maybe a few wins will get the confidence up and that passion will emerge again.
Go Tiges.

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
I'm all for passion ;D but passion only gets you so far rosy. No one accuses Brisbane of winning premierships with passion. In the pressure cooker of a final or GF, being cool under fire, thinking clearly, decisively and clinically are the traits that win through IMO. And trusting the team plan, and having the players to execute under extreme pressure.
Sure, we'd all like to see more passion from our players, but passion doesn't win flags.
I think Danny Frawley understands this and has deliberately played down the 'Richmond passion' stuff.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
No skill and no passion can only mean one thing - a bottom 4 finish.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
I agree with what you say Dean. However, it seems to me that players don't get the opportunity to 'experience' a win or a loss. As soon as one game is over, they're thinking and talking about the next one.

How does playing the game mean anything to any player if they don't get to enjoy the wins and feel the losses?

As supporters, we're passionate because we do enjoy the wins and feel the losses. And God only knows we've had long enough to feel enough failures and losses to last several life times.

As a supporter, what drives me is that I want to see my Club successful again. Like many others, I've felt the pain and despair of losing and I want to know what it feels like to win and be a winner.

It just seems to me that there's no emotional attachment to the game or even the results. It comes across as such a professional and business-like approach to the game that everything is just so clinical. If that is so, then is it any wonder we're accused of having no passion or spirit and is it any wonder the game seems like a job to the players.

Passion alone will not ensure a win, but if players do not get to experience winning and losing, how does it mean anything to them and push them to do better?

TigerFury

Eloquent Feral
Dec 19, 2002
Belgrave
We did rely on passion in 1995 and were fairly deficient in skill, but there was one thing true then that sadly isn't now...

In 1995, we were most likely the 'hardest' team going around. Crash, bash, tackle, tackle, tackle!!! More often than not, we harrased teams into losing against us rather than chop them up with silky skills.

Since then, we've gone all out in adding skill at the expense of hardness. Now we are considered a joke amongst the competition.

Give me passion and hardness over pure skill any day - it hasn't done the Kangaroos any harm over the past decade.

A

admin

passion only gets you so far rosy.
Those were the days Deano.....:rollin

It's a combination. I have sat next to the race for years. You can almost tell how the team will go on a given day by how they come out and run through the banner. If they are jumping out of their skin, patting each others bums and generally pumping each other up they usually fly out of the blocks.
If they walk out as individuals, staring at their footy boots (as they do against Essendon) you know you're in for a bad start.
You can only do so much on passion for sure, but add it to skill and toughness and game plan and a bit of good luck, it's one of those intangibles I'd prefer to have than not.
I think it would be a big mistake to deliberately play down the Richmond passion.