PC Question/ How do I....? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

PC Question/ How do I....?

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Hopefully someone who knows about computers can help me out.
How do I find out what sort of motherboard and sound card etc that I have, without looking inside it?

I know the info comes up when I start up the pc but it only flashes on for a split second. Not enough time to read it anyway.

Surely there is another way. Through the control panel or something? Or what if I started up in safe mode, would that help?

:-[

Cheers

Tigerdog

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Can't help on the motherboard, tigerdog, but you can get the sound card details by going to sound and audio devices in the control panel. The hardware tab should then give you the details.

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003
TD, if you go Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager, you should find what you are looking for.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Thanks for that gents. I found what I was looking for. :)

Now I have to buy some speakers. ::)

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Tigerdog said:
Thanks for that gents. I found what I was looking for. :)

Now I have to buy some speakers.  ::)

Hey, tigerdog, if you want sound, then speakers seem to be a good idea. ;D :p :D

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Haha cheers graystar.
I had an old set of speakers but they didn't work with the upgraded pc that I bought.
I had tried listening through headphones also but had no success.
Anyway, apparently I had to download a driver specific to my soundcard and operating platform (all double dutch to me) Managed to stumble through that, only to find that my speakers were now not good enough, needed speakers with an amplifier apparently, and so I would have to but new speakers.
So off I went and purchased some new speakers and took them to a mates house to test them. They sounded great. And I was very happy with my purchase.
Anyway, I get them home and install them and put a cd in the drive and press play and nothing. Well, some odd bits of sound here and there but not listenable.
Apparently my speakers are too good for my soundcard. ::) So now a fancy soundcard is on the shopping list.

Ahh the 'other' joy of computers. ;)