Peggy O'Neal To Step Down at end of 2022 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Peggy O'Neal To Step Down at end of 2022

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
her presidency is tainted for me too because of this one

During her Presidency we became a powerhouse again. 3 Premierships in 4 years. Showed the metal to stick with Dimma at the end of 16, brushed off board challenges and kept the club focused on it's objectives. Financially solid club, record membership, and through it all has kept the club quite humble.

Best President we've ever had.

Reactions: 21 users

tigerlandishome

Carna Tiges
Jun 4, 2007
Perth
During her Presidency we became a powerhouse again. 3 Premierships in 4 years. Showed the metal to stick with Dimma at the end of 16, brushed off board challenges and kept the club focused on it's objectives. Financially solid club, record membership, and through it all has kept the club quite humble.

Agreed.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Legacy forever tainted in my eyes by the failure to act on pokies, some things are more important than football.

Oh and I think she was misquoted in there. 'We have term limits' should surely have been followed by 'when it suits us'.

Harsh on the first one. I’m assuming you’ve worked for organisations sponsored by gambling companies (and know that) so would be a bit kettle and pot given part of your salary effectively comes from this. I think that’s harsh and wouldn’t make that assessment of you, hence why I view your assessment as harsh. I’m a little utilitarian and think Richmond is leading edge in terms of its social initiatives and if you assess those overall, then it’s a big tick despite the pokies stain. No organisation or individual is perfect.

Second is fair - my view is a benevolent dictatorship drives the best short term outcomes - because they can get *smile* done in the benefit of the organisation they serve very quickly. Longer term though, the problem is if we get an idiot/despot next then the members will have no ability to force change.

Reactions: 3 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The whole pokies thing is a definite issue. But I still reckon if we sell the pokie licences as opposed to not using them then we are effectively just deflecting blame. To really get out of pokies you need to stop getting revenue from them, and, take those pokies out of circulation. Anything else is hypocritical: we don't have pokies, but someone else now has our pokies, contributes nothing to fixing the problems.

As for Peggy, great Pres. The club and the team are now in a far better place than they were years ago. Hard to see what more she could have done.

Leaving while Benny Gale is still CEO is a good decision, having both leave at the same time would be too much, staggering the end of their time in each role is a far better transition.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

Agree. I had my doubts about her but glad I was wrong. Let's hope we find someone just as good next.

Reactions: 1 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
It is going to take someone special to take over the presidential reigns once Peggy leaves. She has helped bring back the good times to Punt Road

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yes, absolutely I have worked for organisations sponsored by companies that I'd rather not associate with, including sports betting companies.

As I have said before though, there should never be a comparison made between sports betting and pokies. They are absolutely not comparable in terms of the harm they cause the community.

Sports betting is pernicious, it is on peoples' phones, the odds are rammed down out throats all the time, it's like a mobile pokie in your pocket all the time.

Gambling exploits and manipulates the most vulnerable and often those with less money they can afford to lose.

I find it hard to distinguish the harm both do.

DS

Reactions: 7 users

deedee

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 12, 2011
The whole pokies thing is a definite issue. But I still reckon if we sell the pokie licences as opposed to not using them then we are effectively just deflecting blame. To really get out of pokies you need to stop getting revenue from them, and, take those pokies out of circulation. Anything else is hypocritical: we don't have pokies, but someone else now has our pokies, contributes nothing to fixing the problems.

As for Peggy, great Pres. The club and the team are now in a far better place than they were years ago. Hard to see what more she could have done.

Leaving while Benny Gale is still CEO is a good decision, having both leave at the same time would be too much, staggering the end of their time in each role is a far better transition.

DS
That would require the tigers to continue paying the licensing fee for the poker machines forever.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Legacy forever tainted in my eyes by the failure to act on pokies, some things are more important than football.

Oh and I think she was misquoted in there. 'We have term limits' should surely have been followed by 'when it suits us'.
or when the members vote for change

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
None of that is to suggest sports gambling is a good thing or doesn't cause harm but it absolutely pales into insignificance against pokies. Sports betting is smoking a joint, playing pokies is smoking ice.

Let me state that I hate pokies with a passion, and I understand a number of the points you make with regard to the insidious modus operandi of pokies as a form of gambling. However, it is shortsighted to believe that they are any worse than sports betting or do less harm.

Between the two, in terms of dollars spent on total gambling, pokies win hands down. That is not in dispute. However, as an example, a much higher percentage of problem gamblers bet on sports than pokies. And the number is growing.

I am not looking to debate things, but anyone who wants to form an informed opinion on any form of gambling should take a look at the information on this website:

https://aifs.gov.au/agrc/

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Yes, absolutely I have worked for organisations sponsored by companies that I'd rather not associate with, including sports betting companies.

Right and my point is that doesn’t in my opinion taint the good work you would have done for that organisation. You had a choice to not work for those organisations and most likely at the cost of compromising your employment choices and standard of living. Richmond has a choice to compromise its footy spend and leave pokies immediatey or not conpromise it and try and sell them at a fair price. They seem very similar types of choices to me. (without knowing the inner workings of the board it would be hard to know if efforts have been made in this space and been unsuccessful or not)

But as has been said elsewhere, unless the pokies are removed from society then it seems it just is shifting the revenue to someone else in return for a capital payout.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
pokies might be worse now in terms of societal damage but betting apps will be a much bigger problem, if it's not already. Kids and teens see all the sports bet advertising already, they all have smart phones. Its a huge potential market and the AFL and other sports are normalising this right now. You just have to look at the amount of advertising right now to get a sense of how much money is in this.

Pokies are small beans compared to this.

Reactions: 8 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I too have been extremely disappointed by the club's poker machines stance.
Peggy has been great overall obviously. We would not have won 3 flags without her leadership especially the decision to back Hardwick.
However I really struggle to understand why a rich club like ours has not exited pokies like other clubs & unfortunately that does taint her a little in my eyes along Gale & the rest of our board. It's not too late to do the right thing Peggy. Exit pokies.

Reactions: 2 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
So if not having pokies revenue meant zero flags I wonder where everyone would sit.

I get the angst with lack of visible movement but you wouldn’t think it would change the money being lost - and is really the branding of the club and what it stands for. (It is incongruous we support mental health etc and take money from gambling)

Maybe some people are ok losing because they rationalise the losses go to the club.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
So if not having pokies revenue meant zero flags I wonder where everyone would sit.

I get the angst with lack of visible movement but you wouldn’t think it would change the money being lost - and is really the branding of the club and what it stands for. (It is incongruous we support mental health etc and take money from gambling)

Maybe some people are ok losing because they rationalise the losses go to the club.

I'll take the 3 premierships, without thinking twice or any twinge of guilt.

Reactions: 1 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne

yep, she brought in 6 year term limits, but served 9 herself. Funny that.

I know Peggy will be universally loved at the RFC because she oversaw 3 flags and the premiership drought ended. And i get that. But I will remember her as the person who ended democracy at the RFC.

or when the members vote for change

Did Peggy ever stand for election? i don't think she did. i know she was drafted to the board 17 years ago unelected.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
3 flags, a well-run club that is now a powerhouse again makes her and Benny's tenure a raving success. Not ending Pokies is a fail, but small in the scheme of things. Ending democracy? Perhaps, although also just a marker of a drift of the professionalisation of AFL clubs.