Perfect one day, imbeciles the next (Fox Sports) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Perfect one day, imbeciles the next (Fox Sports)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Perfect one day, imbeciles the next
By Patrick Smith
August 13, 2003

DANNY FRAWLEY used to be a genius. Well, 11 rounds ago he was. He had his Tigers with six wins out of eight games and the most successful Victorian team in a competition dominated by the fancy pants north and west of the border.

Since then Frawley has apparently lost all ability, all knowledge, insight and good sense and should be sacked. He's a duffer.

These things happen to AFL coaches. Perfect one day, imbeciles the next.

It is true that Richmond have slumped to 12th place and won just a solitary game since Frawley was the sole defender of Victorian honour.

Indeed, this week's headlines have screamed that Frawley has won only 14 of his past 41 games. It has become the critical ratio that, we have been told, is sufficient for Frawley to be sacked or the players deported. But a win-loss ratio like that means it has to be one or the other.

Richmond have stood firmly behind their coach as they did when the media discovered the coach had lost the ability to walk on water.

For Frawley this is the second time this season that the Great Light of media scrutiny has sought him out.

Over at Melbourne, coach Neale Daniher must think he is running a school for journalists, for they surround him every other day and dutifully film and jot down everything he says.

Daniher has Melbourne - who finished sixth last year and played in two finals - in third last spot. He has won 18 of his past 43 games.

A board member, Bev O'Connor, was on radio last Friday saying that Melbourne lacked a spine. They also need tall key position players.

Last week, during his Wednesday tutorial, Daniher told the media that his men would come out fighting. That it was the only way to go. That he would never walk away from a battle. This was duly recorded in print and electronically. It was so absorbing you got a bit twitchy just listening to him.

Melbourne, of course, got flogged by Geelong, a side many people thought had dropped out of the competition due to lack of interest.

The Demons played an uninspired and listless game and the media said this was clear evidence Daniher could no longer get across his message.

Geelong are coached by someone called Mark Thompson. He has won 17 of his past 41 games. Apparently he is a very good coach because Frank Costa, the president, says he is.

It was reported last week that the Cats were in the market to draft or pick up key forwards. Names were named. So many, in fact, it appeared Geelong was after anybody and everybody taller than a fire hydrant.

Denis Pagan has won two premierships with the Kangaroos. Under his control they were said to be the best team of the 1990s. It was reckoned that here was a guy who could coach. This may have been a tad premature for Pagan, now at Carlton. He has won just 16 of his past 42 games.

Earlier this season Hawthorn coach Peter Schwab was so appalling that one media outlet suggested the club hire an interim coach until the Great Gabba Guru, Leigh Matthews, put down his sun screen and returned to Glenferrie Oval.

The GGG has since re-signed with the Brisbane Lions and Schwab took the Hawks to a mighty win over competition darling Sydney on Saturday. Schwab has won 20 of his past 41 games.

When it was thought necessary to sack Schwab, the Hawks were judged to be too slow, too slow moving the ball, guilty of kicking short and to the side, mentally and physically fragile. At the same time Richmond under Frawley were quick, good at clearances, and master of a direct game plan of kicking long to marking forwards.

Now, it is Richmond who are too slow moving the ball and Hawthorn who are thriving because they kick long and direct to tall forwards.

RFC not KFC

Tiger Superstar
May 2, 2003
Never liked Patrick Smith - he's the Danny Frawley of the journalism world. The only game this season we've kicked long to our "marking forwards" was the Bulldogs game. Ben Holland kicked 6 and our crumbing smalls kicked 10.

I've never heard any reference to our team being regarded as quick. Except for quick to turn the ball over due to their poor disposal which has not improved under Frawley.

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
The media are always too quick to jump to conclusions.
However, as there as so many Richmond supporters out there, they love to bag us, as it sells papers.
Patrick Smith never player football at VFL/AFL level so discount what he writes.
I really enjoy reading what Garry Lyon has to write. I usually is to the point and true.

RFC not KFC

Tiger Superstar
May 2, 2003
Never discount someone's opinion just because they haven't played at the highest level. On that basis the opinions on this website count for nothing. I've never been a chef but I know how to cook - actually in my wife's opinion that's debatable so maybe you do have a point nwonash.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
One interesting point from Patrick Smith's stats is this:

Geelong under Bomber Thompson has won 17 of it's past 44 games - with a team that is made up of rookies.

Frawley has won 14 from 44 with a team he thought he could grab a flag - hence the recruiting policy of the last 2 drafts.

...................ooooooh dear, what can the matter be???