Peter Matera | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Peter Matera

J

JohnF

Whilst I was surprised that Peter Matera announced his retirement today, it had been clear for some time now that his halcyon days had passed. It's really been sad watching Peter Matera's body deteriorate with injuries over the last 4 or 5 years, turning him from a once dominant force into an average AFL player.

During his prime, I never liked Peter Matera. I took pleasure whenever he had a bad day, or got injured, or got caught in a tackle. But during the last couple of years, and especially now with his retirement, I realise what a void has been left within me, knowing that I will never behold his brilliance again. And so I mourn for the fact that he is gone, and that we we will never see another one of his dashing runs, long roosts or witness his spell binding co-ordination and cat-like balance and reflexes. Whilst he wasn't overly consistent, on his day, nobody cut up a game like Peter Matera. His 1992 grand final performance, remains to this day a masterpiece of modern day football, and won't be forgotten.

Seeing greats go really makes you savour and appreciate the current stars, players like McLeod, Voss, Hird etc. knowing that one day too, their time will come to hang up the boots, and we won't be treated with their gifts anymore.

So congratulations Peter Matera, a sublime career with many fond memories, even those where you tortured the Tiges.