Phantom Draft 19 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Phantom Draft 19

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
@bullus_hit look up Patrick Weckert. He has this late bloomer ,cricket crossover potential like Serong did. But he is a key forward.

Will do the reverse Will Sutherland. Tell me what you think.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
@bullus_hit look up Patrick Weckert. He has this late bloomer ,cricket crossover potential like Serong did. But he is a key forward.

Will do the reverse Will Sutherland. Tell me what you think.
He is pretty short for a key forward at 188cm but he moves exceedingly well, good lateral movement & also has some spring in his step. His kicking is fluid with good range, kicking on the run part of the arsenal & he's not afraid to dance around the man on the mark and take running shots. There's a lot to like, quite a few success stories with 6 footers like Membrey (188cm) & Darling (190cm), going back even further you have Aaron Hamill who was only 184cm but played much taller and James Hird who also happens to be 188cm. I certainly agree we need a mobile forward rather than a beanpole and I think Wreckert is the type of player who could provide one important pillar in a forward line. As for his range? Medium forwards usually start getting picked off late first round and can slide out to early third round. I would say he's gettable and I also think he's a worthy target.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
He is pretty short for a key forward at 188cm but he moves exceedingly well, good lateral movement & also has some spring in his step. His kicking is fluid with good range, kicking on the run part of the arsenal & he's not afraid to dance around the man on the mark and take running shots. There's a lot to like, quite a few success stories with 6 footers like Membrey (188cm) & Darling (190cm), going back even further you have Aaron Hamill who was only 184cm but played much taller and James Hird who also happens to be 188cm. I certainly agree we need a mobile forward rather than a beanpole and I think Wreckert is the type of player who could provide one important pillar in a forward line. As for his range? Medium forwards usually start getting picked off late first round and can slide out to early third round. I would say he's gettable and I also think he's a worthy target.
I've seen him listed at 192cm.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
194 is good, that's Noah Balta, Charlie Cunrow and Jake Lever size. Can play as key forward at that.

Reactions: 1 users

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
194 is good, that's Noah Balta, Charlie Cunrow and Jake Lever size. Can play as key forward at that.
Yep, that's prime for the type of role he plays, let's just hope he's in our range, might even need to move up the order a notch or two. Judging by Allen & JVR we'll need a pick around the 20 mark.

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
Suits the age profile of you next gen midfield too. With TT at 25, Bolton 24 and Hopper 26. It sparks the renewal of our midfield and kind of gets around the issue that we've had with drafting, where we haven't had top draft picks to draft that next generation of our midfield. That would be 3 picks in the top 11 and Shai to lead our midfield for the next 5-7 years.

It would make our talls a really key gap that we have right now and enable us to prioritise that over any midfield concerns.
A HOST of clubs are keeping tabs on former Gold Coast first-round pick Sam Flanders, as the young midfielder continues to vie for his spot in coach Stuart Dew's plans after an early-season knee injury.

The Suns are yet to begin discussions with Flanders over a new deal beyond this season, having broken through for only four senior games this year after battling an MCL injury that he sustained in April.

Flanders has enjoyed a scintillating period in the VFL – averaging 33.7 disposals, 9.7 marks and 5.6 clearances from his past three games upon his return from injury – leading to interest from a series of Victorian clubs.

The former Gippsland Power product, who turns 22 in July, has played 34 games from his four seasons at Gold Coast. He was recruited with the No.11 selection in the 2019 national draft, after the Suns traded up to call his name on the night.

Flanders enjoyed a standout pre-season and looked to have cemented his spot in Gold Coast's midfield before being struck by injury, having won 19 disposals and kicked two goals in the side's round one defeat to Sydney. – Riley Beveridge

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
A HOST of clubs are keeping tabs on former Gold Coast first-round pick Sam Flanders, as the young midfielder continues to vie for his spot in coach Stuart Dew's plans after an early-season knee injury.

The Suns are yet to begin discussions with Flanders over a new deal beyond this season, having broken through for only four senior games this year after battling an MCL injury that he sustained in April.

Flanders has enjoyed a scintillating period in the VFL – averaging 33.7 disposals, 9.7 marks and 5.6 clearances from his past three games upon his return from injury – leading to interest from a series of Victorian clubs.

The former Gippsland Power product, who turns 22 in July, has played 34 games from his four seasons at Gold Coast. He was recruited with the No.11 selection in the 2019 national draft, after the Suns traded up to call his name on the night.

Flanders enjoyed a standout pre-season and looked to have cemented his spot in Gold Coast's midfield before being struck by injury, having won 19 disposals and kicked two goals in the side's round one defeat to Sydney. – Riley Beveridge

Flanders is going to Geelong, to play with Sam Simpson.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user