Phantom Draft 19 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Phantom Draft 19

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
I think Richmond made a huge mistake with the way they took their selection and not because of who they selected but the way they went about it.
Personally if i was in charge of Richmond i would have bid on Mead and made port accountable for being cocky enough to trade back 2 spots and give pick #20 to carlton.

This would have forced Port to use pick #22 on mead and if they passed i would have easily been happy with Mead at #21 and dont believe there is much difference in Dow/Mead quality
Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but wow thats pretty arrogant

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but wow thats pretty arrogant
Why is this arrogant ? I think its extremely arrogant of port to do that trade and risk their father son for a pick in the 50's
Whilst other teams are moving up to protect their positions port is flaunting it at the risk of a player they clearly want

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Why is this arrogant ? I think its extremely arrogant of port to do that trade and risk their father son for a pick in the 50's
Whilst other teams are moving up to protect their positions port is flaunting it at the risk of a player they clearly want

Its arrogant because you are basically bagging the club , suggesting you could have done better etc, without having all the information
The information on the players
The information on any discussions we potentially had pre draft
etc etc

Reactions: 1 user

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Its arrogant because you are basically bagging the club , suggesting you could have done better etc, without having all the information
The information on the players
The information on any discussions we potentially had pre draft
etc etc
This is a footy forum and i dont bag the club but i do express an opinion, If every opinion posted here had to have inside information aout what the club actually had discussions on then we should just shut the site down as there would be less than a handful here

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
(16) - #19. - Richmond Cooper Stephens 17/01/2001 | 189cm | 83kg | Inside Midfielder
(18) - #38. - Richmond - Mitch Georgiades 28/09/2001 | 192cm | 87kg | Tall Forward
(20) - #39. - Richmond - Sam Philp 04/08/2001 | 186cm | 79kg | Inside Midfielder
( 33) - #41. - Richmond - Brock Smith 13/03/2001 | 189cm | 82kg | Defender / Midfielder
( Rookie #9) - #56. - Richmond - Emerson Jeka 18/09/2001 | 198cm | 90kg | Key Forward / Defender

Overall i think i did well with Richmonds picks
Im applying for a Job Balme'y

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
or we at PRE did a bad job of guessing the draft this year!
who knows, in time we can probably show that PRE killed it

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Naw, I ain’t got time at the minute, I’ll go in it but can’t run it.

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
OK Join up guys/gals

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
pick #41 Richmond - Brock Smith
Gippsland Power/Vic Country | Defender
13/03/2001 | 189cm | 82kg

As reliable and competitive as they come, Smith is a defender who can play both offensive and defensive roles, and almost always achieve the team requirement of him by the end of the game. Rarely having a game where he does not in some part contribute, Smith will attack contests without fear for his own safety, and also provide rebound out of the back half. He ticks a lot of boxes across the board.
His flexibility to play against taller or smaller opponents is a bonus. His one-on-one strength helps him take on the stronger players, while his competitive nature helps him challenge those with greater athletic traits. His rebounding and intercept marking, as well as his penetrating kick are other features of his game, and he is a player who will be loved by teammates, but bemoaned by opposition players.
Been cut by Brisbane without playing a game.

• Wow

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Been cut by Brisbane without playing a game.
Just after 2 years for a pick 33

Also looking at Ely Smith & Connor McFadyen who also looks to have stagnated since being drafted
Brock looked to be a nice talent in his draft year.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Pick 3 Sam Flanders
goal kicking mid/forward
Match winner in finals and at championships
Good speed, great hands, flexible to play deep forward or inside mid

This kid has leapt forward with a superb finals series in the U18 that showed he is a big time performer.
In the elimination final he kicked 4 goals in a quarter against the eventual premiers Oakleigh.
In each of the finals he was one of the best, winning plenty of the pill, tackles, clearances, goals.

At the champs he maintained the level with avg 22 disposals, 6 tackles, 4.5 clearances.
It showed a strong defensive mindset and ability to play in tight.

Already a strong young man, at 182cm and 81kg he has the frame to play AFL.
Explosive he runs 20m in 3s.
Will need to build endurance, and that will come.

In the real world I am sure that Melbourne will look at their list and decide they need outside run so pick Young, Ash or maybe Dylan Stephens.
But today i am picking the matchwinner for finals, an inside mid who can play forward and kick goals.

Thoughts on this guy. There's a show on the AFL website called Gettable with Cal Twomey who said this guy was very gettable. It sounds like he is out of the Suns.

His stats in the 2's are terrific.

VFL over the last 2 years.

2022 Rd 2 - 10 D, 6T
2022 Rd 3 - 24 D, 3T
2022 Rd 4 - 29 D, 9T
2022 Rd 6 - 22 D, 6T
2022 Rd 7 - 36 D, 5T
2022 Rd 9 - 33 D, 4T
2022 Rd 10 - 26 D, 5T
2022 Rd 11 - 32 D, 2T
2022 Rd 19 - 32 D, 2T
2022 Rd 23 - 37 D, 6T
2022 Rd 24 - 46 D, 3T
2022 Rd 25 - 42 D, 8T

2023 Rd 6 - 32 D, 3T
2023 Rd 8 - 35 D, 1T
2023 Rd 9 - 36 D, 4T

Ripping it up in the VFL playing midfield. Dew uses him as a forward. This is the type we should be going for. All the draft profiles projected him as an explosive midfielder, the type we need IMO, a beautiful offset to Taranto / Hopper going forwards. I reckon you get Flanders for a 2nd rounder and it seems clear from Twomey that he's likely gone from the GC.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Thoughts on this guy. There's a show on the AFL website called Gettable with Cal Twomey who said this guy was very gettable. It sounds like he is out of the Suns.

His stats in the 2's are terrific.

VFL over the last 2 years.

2022 Rd 2 - 10 D, 6T
2022 Rd 3 - 24 D, 3T
2022 Rd 4 - 29 D, 9T
2022 Rd 6 - 22 D, 6T
2022 Rd 7 - 36 D, 5T
2022 Rd 9 - 33 D, 4T
2022 Rd 10 - 26 D, 5T
2022 Rd 11 - 32 D, 2T
2022 Rd 19 - 32 D, 2T
2022 Rd 23 - 37 D, 6T
2022 Rd 24 - 46 D, 3T
2022 Rd 25 - 42 D, 8T

2023 Rd 6 - 32 D, 3T
2023 Rd 8 - 35 D, 1T
2023 Rd 9 - 36 D, 4T

Ripping it up in the VFL playing midfield. Dew uses him as a forward. This is the type we should be going for. All the draft profiles projected him as an explosive midfielder, the type we need IMO, a beautiful offset to Taranto / Hopper going forwards. I reckon you get Flanders for a 2nd rounder and it seems clear from Twomey that he's likely gone from the GC.
At GC he has Touk Miller and Rowell doing the hard stuff and occupying his mid slot.

plus is he not fit enough or a hard enough runner?

It might make him surplus to gold coast but v a good fit for us

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
At GC he has Touk Miller and Rowell doing the hard stuff and occupying his mid slot.

plus is he not fit enough or a hard enough runner?

It might make him surplus to gold coast but v a good fit for us
I reckon @mrposhman could be onto something here. If you could get him for a third rounder or a surplus player, it would be worth the shot, not for a second rounder, IMO. This is his fourth year and has played 34 games to date.

Dew has a history of keeping his midfield rotations very low and as such has lost quality players elsewhere for diddly squat or close to (Lyons & Brodie come to mind who were both not considered "two way runners"). Flanders may well be another one to make way, his salary may well add to a discount as well, something which may now not be a problem given its likely there will be a mass exodus at season's end.

Tank has always been a weakness however has reportedly put that to bed now. His body shape has changed heaps, doesn't look like the same person anymore.

"The pre-draft question marks over his aerobic fitness are now a thing of the past, having stopped the clock just inside six minutes for his most recent 2km time trial – a mark that indicates he well-and-truly has the capacity to play big midfield minutes if his skill matches."

Last edited:

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I reckon @mrposhman could be onto something here. If you could get him for a third rounder or a surplus player, it would be worth the shot, not for a second rounder, IMO. This is his fourth year and has played 34 games to date.

Dew has a history of keeping his midfield rotations very low and as such has lost quality players elsewhere for diddly squat or close to (Lyons & Brodie come to mind who were both not considered "two way runners"). Flanders may well be another one to make way, his salary may well add to a discount as well, something which may now not be a problem given its likely there will be a mass exodus at season's end.

Tank has always been a weakness however has reportedly put that to bed now. His body shape has changed heaps, doesn't look like the same person anymore.

"The pre-draft question marks over his aerobic fitness are now a thing of the past, having stopped the clock just inside six minutes for his most recent 2km time trial – a mark that indicates he well-and-truly has the capacity to play big midfield minutes if his skill matches."

Suits the age profile of you next gen midfield too. With TT at 25, Bolton 24 and Hopper 26. It sparks the renewal of our midfield and kind of gets around the issue that we've had with drafting, where we haven't had top draft picks to draft that next generation of our midfield. That would be 3 picks in the top 11 and Shai to lead our midfield for the next 5-7 years.

It would make our talls a really key gap that we have right now and enable us to prioritise that over any midfield concerns.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Hawthorn are over the moon to get Caleb Serong.

I’m genuinely surprised that Serong got to the Hawks pick. And according to the latest pundits, it’s a real possibility that Serong after being talked about as a top 5 pick all year, could get to 10 in the real thing. Now, this happens every year.

After the actual playing of games, after all the testing, no one likes the obvious. Everyone is looking for the “edge”, the less obvious pick, the one that will make everyone look smarter than the next guy. This year, Caleb Serong is getting that treatment. His body of work over this year gives no reason why he shouldn’t be a top 5 pick. The first thing I really like about Serong is he has a real swagger about him on the paddock. There’s been a lot of talk of him playing like Robbie Gray, I see that a bit. For me he is a Toby Greene clone. Style, attitude and ability. For someone who is only 178cm he is a super one on one player in the air and on the ground. Attacks it at a million miles an hour and with intent. You can play him one out in the goal square and kick it on his head and he will find a way to take it. At 178cm and 83kg, he is a powerhouse. Plays much bigger. And is a match winner, will turn games quickly with. Has magic. But also has smarts, when he pushes up the ground, he sees things that others don’t makes the play that opens up the game. At times he can get too excited and just punt it down the line but when he plays with control he makes the right call. Natural footballer. Football quick, watch him at a stoppage, hands in tight are fast. But hasn’t really had preseasons up until this year due to playing state cricket up to under 16’s. So for me, there is still huge scope for improvement as he gets fitter. Which leads me to the midfield question, can he go through there? I’ve commented before that the days of drafting pure forwards under 188cm is just about done. As the boy does preseasons he will become a mid. Spent most of his time in the midfield this year, his numbers in big games show that he can already play there.

Finals numbers 25 touches per game, as well as four marks, five tackles, five inside 50’s .

And this stat line against WA at the champs, 33 disposals, 10 clearances and nine tackles were as co-captain he won Vic Country MVP and made the All Australian side.

These performances are done with limited preseasons at TAC level, once he gets fitter, he can be a mid. Might start off down forward with bursts through the middle and that’s fine.

I had the Hawks pinged for Fisher McAsey and Luke Jackson. These were the two that I thought would be on the board and also be best fit. Hawks need a ruck and just went and got Patton & Frost to play regular football so the key posts are skinny. Mitchell Lewis showed a bit and is a building block. But then I looked closer at what the Hawks have at ground level in the attacking half of the ground. . An aging Luke Breust who lead the goal kicking with 34 but is a shadow of himself, the next small to be listed is Chad Wingard with 14 and Tom Scully with 12!!! Wingard may get back to his best but is 27 next year and his last three years have produced 24,22 and 12 goals with a spell in the VFL last year. Looks a shadow of himself and that trade is looking more and more ugly. Give me Burton and Xavier Durusma and an extra 300k in my salary cap any day of the week. So all of a sudden the chance to add a Serong, is far too good an opportunity to pass up. Adding a match winner who is competitive, with scope for improvement is a huge win at 10.

And he screams a Clarko type, it's a great fit for player and club.
I talk so much nonsense on here but this might be the most sense I'll ever make. Moment of lucidity. And yes this is me,me,me,me,me post.

Reactions: 1 users

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
I talk so much nonsense on here but this might be the most sense I'll ever make. Moment of lucidity. And yes this is me,me,me,me,me post.
That's an excellent assessment, breakout territory this year plus he's got the X-factor to match. The bit I liked most was the playing tall commentary, very easy to dismiss a guy who is sub 180cm, plenty slip through the net like Neale & Laird. He's in that class from all the evidence to date.