Phantom Draft 2016 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Phantom Draft 2016

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
i've seen a fair bit of Pat Kerr. No way is he lasting until #30

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
T-Shirt Tommy said:
:hihi

You're still outperforming FJ Tim!

Yep, that's the way I see it. I cant be any worse than the RFC record over past decade...or more....

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Sydney Swans - Jarrod Berry (10), Shai Bolton (20), Kayle Kirby (50), Liam Ryan (53)

From a list management perspective I think this batch has hit the mark apart from Jarrod Berry who presents mainly as a back flank, a position which has been filled with distinction by Callum Mills. Given Grundy is approaching retirement & Richards has retired from football I think it's imperative that the Swans look at shoring up their key defensive posts. Without wanting to sound like a broken record I think Logue is the ideal candidate to take over the reigns and he would seem to be the key reason as to why the Swans traded into the top 10.

At pick 20, Bolton fits the Swans needs perfectly, especially given they were smashed in the pace department by the Bulldogs. There's certainly some consistency issues with Bolton's game but when on song he can really dominate, his performance in the All-Stars game would have impressed many and he has a 7 goal haul to his name at Colts level. He's the perfect Lewis Jetta replacement all things considered.

The next two picks also have significant toe, they also have had exposure to state league football which provides a pretty good barometer for AFL adaptability. As to whether they get picked this high is anyone's guess but my gut feeling is their limited aerobic capacity will see them slide out to the rookie draft. There's also the issue of professionalism, particularly in the case of Ryan, so it remains to be seen whether any club outside of WA would be willing to burn a ND pick on a player who lacks commitment.

Overall Grade : B-

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Western Bulldogs - Jordan Gallucci (19), Cedric Cox (29), Ben Long (54), Esava Rautgolea (77), Taylin Duman (80)

This is an interesting batch and is exceedingly difficult to predict given each player comes across as a project of sorts. In the case of Gallucci we have a player who was arguably the best performer at the combine and has had flashes of brilliance which for me personally, brought back memories of Jason Akermanis in his early years. Then there have been times when Gallucci has looked like Greg Tivendale, constantly turning the ball over and generally becoming a liability for his team. On balance I actually like this pick and feel that a professionally run club like the Dogs can get the best out of Jordan, looking at their recent rookie record it's clear to me they have one of the more impressive development programs in the competition.

Cedric Cox is another who has shown flashes of brilliance, his form in the VFL was solid enough to push him into top 30 contention and there's an outside chance he breaks into the first round. He's very outside at the moment but I like his dual-sided delivery and line breaking instincts. The big question for me is turning a predominantly outside player into a bonafide ball winner, as we've seen with Hartung & Lewis Jetta, this can be a frustrating learning curve.

Ben Long doesn't have the tearaway pace of the others but he can play the attacking role if given some freedom. I think his performance on Ben Ainsworth was probably the turning point in his draft fortunes and I expect him to be picked up anywhere from the fourth round onwards.

Esava Ratugolea is the big enigma, he's kicked 8 goals in a TAC match and then a few weeks later posted a 0% KE. Being 194cm there's also some question marks as to where he plays at AFL level. Obviously a full time ruck gig seems a long shot but there's an outside chance he becomes a KP forward who provides some ruck relief. It's a pity he doesn't have an extra 7-8 cm because he'd probably be spoken about as a first round prospect.

Taylin Duman is a value bet, his athleticism isn't outstanding for a prospective wingman but it's solid enough given he comes in at a nice height and has above average disposal.

Overall Grade : B

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Happy with that Bully. :beer
There's definitely an element of 'X Factor' in these selections based on the footage I've seen.
I felt the Premiers were in a position where they could take a risk on a player or 2 but I'd have liked another tall defender with Morris nearing the end and Hamling's departure..

Great job on all the draftees and thanks for running the Phantom this year. Gave me a great last minute chance to study the youngsters.
Now we wait..

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
West Coast - Griffen Logue (14), Zac Fisher (37), Jake Waterman (56)

The Eagles have limited involvement in this draft but in this particular instance I think they've nailed every selection. In Logue they have found a player ready to replace Mckenzie in defence, in Fisher they have another homegrown talent who I think is slipping under the radar due to a hand injury and in Waterman they have a F&S pick who captained his state and will add something extra to an already potent forward line. I've spent enough time discussing Logue this year so I'll focus on Fisher who I believe represents true value as a 30-60 pick. Zac has already played senior football in the WAFL and has averaged 19 possessions, there's shades of Caleb Daniel here although he probably doesn't have the same polish. The big question for me was Fisher's weight, at the beginning of the year he was 61kg, given he's now 70kg I think the chances of success have increased markedly. There's no doubt he'll get knocked around a bit but he's got very good acceleration and he also knows how to use it. Whilst 175cm is at the lower end of the height spectrum I think clubs have finally woken up to vertically challenged players who can actually find the football. Fisher is one of those guys and I suspect he would probably feature in the first round if he was 10cm taller.

Overall Grade : A

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Bullus with the benefit of the outcome of our Phantom Draft and working on where the players went

Which players would you take with Tigers 3 selections #27 , #52 , #78

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
turk-d-tiger said:
Bullus with the benefit of the outcome of our Phantom Draft and working on where the players went

Which players would you take with Tigers 3 selections #27 , #52 , #78

I actually think it's a moot point but Begley is the one I'd take at 27 given Brennan Cox, Rotham, Parfitt and Drew were off the board. In the real deal Parfiit will 100% be available and he's the guy who fits our needs to a tee. There's talk of Cox going to Brisbane so I'm pretty much resigned to the fact he won't be there. I would be very surprised if Rotham made it to our pick, the draft experts are placing Ridley in front of him but I think Rotham is being chronically undersold, perhaps due to some ordinary aerobic testing. So in the end I believe it will come down to Drew versus Parfitt and I'm convinced Brandan is the best option for Richmond. Usually when I make these decisions I look at the level of opposition and given Parfitt has played senior football and made some telling contributions in finals, I have to give him the nod.

At 52 it's Sam Walker all the way, I'm going out on a limb here but I rate Walker alongside Witherden and can't quite understand why he's seen as a third to fourth round pick. At every single level Walker exhibited elite kicking skill, but that aside, he's defensively strong and always places a premium on nullifying his man.

For our last pick I'd be taking a project ruck, Olango is the guy I want but there's every chance he's snapped up well before our pick. Incidentally he's 197cm but he also has the second highest wingspan in this year's crop. If he's off the board then I take Peter Ladhams who may have missed the national combine but has bounced back from that disappointment and dominated the state combine. He's an AIS lad but had an indifferent year, however his finish to the year has been exceptional and he has some extra strings to his bow that guys like Goddard, Sweet & Darcy don't have. If we're talking about a replacement for Vickery then Ladhams is the closest fit, I see him as more of a Kurt Tippett type but that's in no way downgrading his ruck credentials, he's still more a ruckman than a forward. For some of his vital statistics - 203cm, running vertical 90cm, 3.05sec/20m & 13.6 beep. Five clubs interested with Geelong being the last to speak to him.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
bullus_hit said:
I actually think it's a moot point but Begley is the one I'd take at 27 given Brennan Cox, Rotham, Parfitt and Drew were off the board. In the real deal Parfiit will 100% be available and he's the guy who fits our needs to a tee. There's talk of Cox going to Brisbane so I'm pretty much resigned to the fact he won't be there. I would be very surprised if Rotham made it to our pick, the draft experts are placing Ridley in front of him but I think Rotham is being chronically undersold, perhaps due to some ordinary aerobic testing. So in the end I believe it will come down to Drew versus Parfitt and I'm convinced Brandan is the best option for Richmond. Usually when I make these decisions I look at the level of opposition and given Parfitt has played senior football and made some telling contributions in finals, I have to give him the nod.

At 52 it's Sam Walker all the way, I'm going out on a limb here but I rate Walker alongside Witherden and can't quite understand why he's seen as a third to fourth round pick. At every single level Walker exhibited elite kicking skill, but that aside, he's defensively strong and always places a premium on nullifying his man.

For our last pick I'd be taking a project ruck, Olango is the guy I want but there's every chance he's snapped up well before our pick. Incidentally he's 197cm but he also has the second highest wingspan in this year's crop. If he's off the board then I take Peter Ladhams who may have missed the national combine but has bounced back from that disappointment and dominated the state combine. He's an AIS lad but had an indifferent year, however his finish to the year has been exceptional and he has some extra strings to his bow that guys like Goddard, Sweet & Darcy don't have. If we're talking about a replacement for Vickery then Ladhams is the closest fit, I see him as more of a Kurt Tippett type but that's in no way downgrading his ruck credentials, he's still more a ruckman than a forward. For some of his vital statistics - 203cm, running vertical 90cm, 3.05sec/20m & 13.6 beep. Five clubs interested with Geelong being the last to speak to him.
is there any word yet on who we are keen on? our info generally gets out a day or so before the Draft.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
bullus_hit said:
West Coast - Griffen Logue (14), Zac Fisher (37), Jake Waterman (56)

The Eagles have limited involvement in this draft but in this particular instance I think they've nailed every selection. In Logue they have found a player ready to replace Mckenzie in defence, in Fisher they have another homegrown talent who I think is slipping under the radar due to a hand injury and in Waterman they have a F&S pick who captained his state and will add something extra to an already potent forward line. I've spent enough time discussing Logue this year so I'll focus on Fisher who I believe represents true value as a 30-60 pick. Zac has already played senior football in the WAFL and has averaged 19 possessions, there's shades of Caleb Daniel here although he probably doesn't have the same polish. The big question for me was Fisher's weight, at the beginning of the year he was 61kg, given he's now 70kg I think the chances of success have increased markedly. There's no doubt he'll get knocked around a bit but he's got very good acceleration and he also knows how to use it. Whilst 175cm is at the lower end of the height spectrum I think clubs have finally woken up to vertically challenged players who can actually find the football. Fisher is one of those guys and I suspect he would probably feature in the first round if he was 10cm taller.

Overall Grade : A
Thanks BH.

I quite like Fisher as well. A lot of clubs will be scared off because of his size but I always like draftees who have played senior footy. He will be a handy player whomever picks him.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
bullus_hit said:

Can't have Parfitt at 27 Bullus. Would be fine in the 50s. His inability to kick more than 40m and lack of penetration even over shorter distances is a real turn off for me.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/emma-quayles-top-30-draft-rankings-20161113-gso7vw.html

Drew at 27. Exactly the type we need.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
King Kong said:
Can't have Parfitt at 27 Bullus. Would be fine in the 50s. His inability to kick more than 40m and lack of penetration even over shorter distances is a real turn off for me.

Based on that logic Andy McGrath wouldn't get drafted either, and whilst Parfitt isn't the silkiest kick in the draft he's far from the worst.

Parfiit didn't do any running tests at the combine but has just recorded a 14.6 beep test in last minute testing. I'm completely sold.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Jonesracing82 said:
is there any word yet on who we are keen on? our info generally gets out a day or so before the Draft.

Ridley, Rotham & Begley seem to be on our radar.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
bullus_hit said:
Based on that logic Andy McGrath wouldn't get drafted either, and whilst Parfitt isn't the silkiest kick in the draft he's far from the worst.

Parfiit didn't do any running tests at the combine but has just recorded a 14.6 beep test in last minute testing. I'm completely sold.

He's a hard working inside mid but untidy by foot. I can't see him being picked in the top 40. Where do u see him going realistically?

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
King Kong said:
He's a hard working inside mid but untidy by foot. I can't see him being picked in the top 40. Where do u see him going realistically?

My gut feeling is Port select him with one of their picks in the thirties, there's a slight chance he makes it to Richmond's second pick but for that to happen guys like Poholke, Bunker, Brayshaw, Romensky & Guelfi would all have to be picked before him. As for his kicking issues, he's a much better kick than Dylan Clarke & Jack Graham and some judges have those two in the top 30. I may be alone in my assessment but Parfitt is a top 20 talent, the only reason he's not being spoken about in the top bracket is that he has been played out of position by Tadgh Kennelly when representing the Allies.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Surprised Ben Davis didn't get picked up.

19yold from NSW that didn't nominate for the draft last year.

Exciting medium forward with good skills and athleticism.

Expecting him to go in the 2nd round or early 3rd round

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
19. Western Bulldogs - Jordan Gallucci Drafted pick 15

29. Western Bulldogs - Cedric Cox Drafted pick 24

54. Western Bulldogs - Ben Long Drafted pick 25

77. Western Bulldogs - Esava Ratugolea Drafted pick 43

80. Western Bulldogs - Taylin Duman Drafted pick 3 rookie draft

Pretty happy with that.