Pick 12 discussion. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 12 discussion.

Re: Looks like Pick 10

Tigion said:
Surely our first pick whatever it is will be a inside mid?

I'm not so sure, I think we need a polished distributor and that player is Salem. He's more outiside at this stage, but I think in due course he could become an effective inside mid. He's strong in hips, can break tackles and he has that rare quality of having plenty of time to pick out the best option. I'm second guessing Frank to a degree but I think he'll appeal, it just comes down to whether he's available at our pick.

bullus_hit said:
I'm not so sure, I think we need a polished distributor and that player is Salem. He's more outiside at this stage, but I think in due course he could become an effective inside mid. He's strong in hips, can break tackles and he has that rare quality of having plenty of time to pick out the best option. I'm second guessing Frank to a degree but I think he'll appeal, it just comes down to whether he's available at our pick.

hmmmm we need a replacement for tuck

Tigion said:
hmmmm we need a replacement for tuck

We still have Arnot to trial out, I also think there will be some inside mids available at our second pick - there is every year.

bullus_hit said:
We still have Arnot to trial out, I also think there will be some inside mids available at our second pick - there is every year.

will any be afl ready like vlaustin

Tigermad2005 said:
Why?
Has not played for 2 yeast will not be 1st round 2nd at best.

Form doesn't have anything to do with how compo is determined. It's deemed on the size of cash and length of contract. Thomas' contract will definitely be band 1 and they will get a first rounder.

Tigion said:
will any be afl ready like vlaustin

Lennon is AFL ready, he will play from the outset but most likey from a back flank. Guys like Sheed & Freeman will probably be eased in while Crouch should play very early in the piece. Luke Dunstan would play just about every game at a club like Melbourne, at a higher placed club he might have to wait his turn.

Tigertool said:
Form doesn't have anything to do with how compo is determined. It's deemed on the size of cash and length of contract. Thomas' contract will definitely be band 1 and they will get a first rounder.
if there wasnt a compo pick would the pies have kept him or given him
a 5 year deal worth 3.5 mil.

SCOOP said:
Yep the Pies will get 10 & 11. Huge win for the Pies.

This could allow them to package up the picks with a player and move for Boyd. 10,11 and someone else is an interesting package. I still think we can get a player as good as Conca with this pick. Maybe Freeman, maybe Sheed, maybe Crouch.

This is the draft to go mid crazy.
if buddy goes to gws hawks would get a first round pick also.
that puts us pick 13, thaan theres dal santo we could end up with 14.

bullus_hit said:
Lennon is AFL ready, he will play from the outset but most likey from a back flank. Guys like Sheed & Freeman will probably be eased in while Crouch should play very early in the piece. Luke Dunstan would play just about every game at a club like Melbourne, at a higher placed club he might have to wait his turn.
From what I saw Sheed is AFL ready.

3121FC said:

This is where the system (if it is actually this) is completely insane. If 10 high quality free agents change hands, 10 first round compensation picks are given and a club not participating in free agency could potentially go from pick 10 to pick 20 :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

That would be the worst draft/free agency system in the world of pro sports. Surely they must be end of round 1 picks - but even that is rubbish.

3121FC said:

The hawks would get a pick at 18-19 not pick 12.

Dal Santo isn't a free agent.

maverick said:
This is where the system (if it is actually this) is completely insane. If 10 high quality free agents change hands, 10 first round compensation picks are given and a club not participating in free agency could potentially go from pick 10 to pick 20 :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

That would be the worst draft/free agency system in the world of pro sports. Surely they must be end of round 1 picks - but even that is rubbish.

The compo system is good IMO. I'd rather our system then the NFL's one any day of the week.

Tigertool said:
The compo system is good IMO.
All compo systems are *smile*. Any uncontracted player should be free to leave a club and re-enter the draft when his contract runs out, or request assistance in being traded to a club of his choice. If a player has served a minimum of eight years at a specified club then the uncontracted player should be permitted to transfer to the club of his choice, without compensation.
If a club is incapable of extracting fair value out of a player in eight years of service they're doing it wrong, they don't own the player so shouldn't be entitled to compensation. Especially compensation which penalises all other teams not involved with the player.

TigerMasochist said:
All compo systems are *smile*. Any uncontracted player should be free to leave a club and re-enter the draft when his contract runs out, or request assistance in being traded to a club of his choice. If a player has served a minimum of eight years at a specified club then the uncontracted player should be permitted to transfer to the club of his choice, without compensation.
If a club is incapable of extracting fair value out of a player in eight years of service they're doing it wrong, they don't own the player so shouldn't be entitled to compensation. Especially compensation which penalises all other teams not involved with the player.

what *smile* me is that band 1 compo doesn't penalize all teams, only the ones that were good enough to finish above the club in question. it's insane

tigertim said:
From what I saw Sheed is AFL ready.

I'm not as sold on Sheed as some, he's a Larke medalist but we've seen many come and go without a whimper. Initially he may struggle with the pace of AFL football, he doesn't possess much in the way of speed or acceleration, his kicking is relatively assured but could hardly be called a weapon and he relies heavily on his left foot. AFL coaches will also be wary of his defensive side, he needs to work on his tackling and defensive pressure - this should come in time given his impressive endurance but I suspect he'll need to serve some sort of apprenticeship before seeing any senior action. Some have Sheed in the top 5, I'm a little more cautious in my rating, he's a good all-rounder but doesn't possess any standout weapons, a late first rounder for mine.

bullus_hit said:
I'm not as sold on Sheed as some, he's a Larke medalist but we've seen many come and go without a whimper. Initially he may struggle with the pace of AFL football, he doesn't possess much in the way of speed or acceleration, his kicking is relatively assured but could hardly be called a weapon and he relies heavily on his left foot. AFL coaches will also be wary of his defensive side, he needs to work on his tackling and defensive pressure - this should come in time given his impressive endurance but I suspect he'll need to serve some sort of apprenticeship before seeing any senior action. Some have Sheed in the top 5, I'm a little more cautious in my rating, he's a good all-rounder but doesn't possess any standout weapons, a late first rounder for mine.
From the 2 games I saw I pictured him being a tough, nuggety on baller. Not overly blessed with pace and yes, maybe no right foot. But good foot skills, wins own ball, works hard all day. But that's from a 2 game perspective so I may be wrong.

tigertim said:
From the 2 games I saw I pictured him being a tough, nuggety on baller. Not overly blessed with pace and yes, maybe no right foot. But good foot skills, wins own ball, works hard all day. But that's from a 2 game perspective so I may be wrong.

There's a lot going for Sheed, he's a one touch player who can definitely find the ball and he doesn't get caught that often. However, he averaged roughly 1 tackle a game at the national carnival and in the WAFL, he needs to address this area of his game before he gets promoted.

D85 said:
sounds a bit like ellis?

Ellis is a bit more outside than Sheed and is an elite kick, I'd say Sheed's more your no-frills type in the mould of Conca, although I prefer Reece given he has better defensive qualities.

I want Bontempelli. Class with a capital C. If we can get him and Adams, look out.