Pick 12 discussion. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 12 discussion.

Re: Looks like Pick 10

Yeah I'm a big Bontempelli fan. Huge potential!

Infamously racked up something like 60 possessions and 8 goals or something crazy in a juniors match once

50 and 10 in a school game I believe Stylo. Not APS though, so grain of salt. But I just love his height, great marking, moves well and is a magnificent kick. Pendleburyesque.

Reckon he goes top 6 spooky.

But I like him a lot.

Stylo said:
Yeah I'm a big Bontempelli fan. Huge potential!

Infamously racked up something like 60 possessions and 8 goals or something crazy in a juniors match once

Sounds impressive although some of these junior inter school matches can be very lopsided. Even a guy like Addam Maric tore it up at U/18's level, didn't translate so well AFL unfortunately.

Bontempelli is an interesting prospect but the Pendlebury calls are a bit premature, he's very outside and will need some serious development time in the middle to improve his inside credentials. At the moment he looks tailored made for a Grant Birchall type role, and if he moves up the ground, potentially an Isaac Smith role. The thing with Bontempelli is he's still growing and potentially could nudge into KP territory, that could change the landscape as it would almost certainly place him in top 10 calculations. At the moment he's likely to land somewhere between 10-15, but if there's one player who should be closely monitored at the combine, Bontempelli is the one. I'll be keeping a close eye on his sprint testing, particularly his acceleration off the mark and his vertical leap. If he scores highly in these areas and manages to gain another couple of cm's then watch him skyrocket in the rankings.

SCOOP said:
Reckon he goes top 6 spooky.

But I like him a lot.
Yeah, I can't imagine 10 better prospects.

Pendles was very outside too bulla.

spook said:

I do like Salem as well. What you think of him Spook?

spook said:

True, but Pendles is the exception rather than the rule. I've always been of the opinion that it's easier to transform an inside player into a solid all-rounder rather than vice-versa. Pendles was also new to football, his initial game was typical of a basketballer making the transition.

Bontempelli plays similarly to David Myers and I duly note how long it's taken him to reach a decent level, not to mention outright fails such as Jared Polec. That's not to say we shouldn't be looking at Marcus with our pick, I'm still hopeful he has the makings of a highly mobile KP player, it's worth noting he recently kicked 5 goals in the TAC as a forward.

When the draft camp results come through, I reckon we'll have a clearer picture as to where Bontempelli could be used at AFL level. From the naked eye I'm guessing he'll record strong results in the vertical leap and I suspect he'll go sub 3 seconds in the 20 metre sprint, I'm curious to get a clearer picture of his power out the blocks and whether he'll grow to a genuine KP height. If he does, he could be the prototype footballer who can play anywhere on the park.

spook said:
Yeah I like him too. But I reckon Bontempelli can be special.

If Dusty goes and we get a couple of top ten picks when the Dusty or Conca walk, I would love to walk away with Bontempelli and Matt Crouch.

Would give us the inside outside punch our midfield will need.

SCOOP said:
If Dusty goes and we get a couple of top ten picks when the Dusty or Conca walk, I would love to walk away with Bontempelli and Matt Crouch.

Would give us the inside outside punch our midfield will need.

If we're jockeying for a late top ten pick then Lennon is the one I'm keen on, he's been racking up some big numbers at TAC level and as we all know, is a lovely kick. I like Crouch but his kicking really worries me, Bontempelli is a high risk, high return type deal, and I'm feeling pretty risk averse at the moment.

bullus_hit said:
If we're jockeying for a late top ten pick then Lennon is the one I'm keen on, he's been racking up some big numbers at TAC level and as we all know, is a lovely kick. I like Crouch but his kicking really worries me, Bontempelli is a high risk, high return type deal, and I'm feeling pretty risk averse at the moment.

I like Lennon a lot. Can kick the ball like very few. Reminds me of David Mundy but bigger upside.

On Crouch, he could be Joel Selwood nut at worst he is Luke Ball. Safe bet. Those two would be very safe bets.

SCOOP said:
I like Lennon a lot. Can kick the ball like very few. Reminds me of David Mundy but bigger upside.

On Crouch, he could be Joel Selwood nut at worst he is Luke Ball. Safe bet. Those two would be very safe bets.

He ticks a lot of boxes, he's a contested ball winning machine, can lay a tackle and has a decent enough outside game as well. Put it this way, I wouldn't be upset if we took him, I like him more than Sheed and Freeman for what it's worth. His lack of athleticism might be an impediment, but like you say, Selwood and Ball are of a similar ilk. I still reckon his brother is a cut above though, he's got the explosive pace which can turn a game on it's head.

Matt is the draft horse, Brad is the Thoroughbred.

Matt is a readymade Tuck replacement. And will be better than Tuck ever was.

If we lose Conca & Martin we must take all mids this draft if we don't get pick 1. At pick 1, Boyd is still the pick.

SCOOP said:
Matt is the draft horse, Brad is the Thoroughbred.

Matt is a readymade Tuck replacement. And will be better than Tuck ever was.

If we lose Conca & Martin we must take all mids this draft if we don't get pick 1. At pick 1, Boyd is still the pick.

Sure, I'd probably be happier with Adams but Crouch is clearly the best grunt player from this year's batch, and would have to be high on our list of priorities. With regards to Conca, one would hope we would get amply compensated but I reckon we're in a spot of bother if Freo is his preferred destination, a late first rounder is chump change IMO.

What are your thoughts on Hartung? He's on the short side but he's highly skilled and could fill the midfielder / small forward void?

Really like Hartung. Reminds me of a mini Dane Swan. Just runs and runs but looks very ungainly.

But Billy has real tricks with the ball, runs and carry, gets around people. I think he can start as a small forward and end up a first class rover.

SCOOP said:
Really like Hartung. Reminds me of a mini Dane Swan. Just runs and runs but looks very ungainly.

But Billy has real tricks with the ball, runs and carry, gets around people. I think he can start as a small forward and end up a first class rover.

Dane Swan comparison is spot on - apart from the tank, freakish endurance with a dash of pace and footy smarts. Coping with a hard tag will be Billy's main challenge, he gets flustered easily and will cop some first class needling at the highest level. If he gets over this then he has AFL written all over him. Could be this year's sleeper.

Based on reports from blokes that know, size, realism etc, I like the look of Lennon. Having said that, I was dead set against Vlastuin last year, so nobody should take any notice of what I reckon.

tigergollywog said:
Based on reports from blokes that know, size, realism etc, I like the look of Lennon. Having said that, I was dead set against Vlastuin last year, so nobody should take any notice of what I reckon.

Done

tigergollywog said:
Gotta have realism...non negotiable. ;D

What are people's thoughts on Christian Salem? By all reports he is on our radar for our first pick.