Pick 17, 20 & 25 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 17, 20 & 25

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
More than ever footy in the mind, we all can see what everyone pushing in the same direction does, was he the kid who has to travel 100,s of kms to play, if so, it's amazing he actually played well enough to even consider been drafted, big travel would drain anyone, he's going to surprise some I reckon, anyway our list is the strongest it's been since early 80,s, a unbelievable achievement with so many compromised drafts and most teams drafting better.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
The view i take with miller is a positive view and for good reason

Ben Miller got selected by richmond at #63 , He is listed at 196cm and CCJ is 201cm but all the pictures and video's i have seen of the 2 players together they look like they are almost exacly the same height - In the group photo with all the players Noah Balta is 195cm but looks shorter than Miller and CCJ - To me these picture sho he is 200cm

Now we have a player thats Ruckman size that runs faster than mids and has a good tank as well as amazing agilty and a very good leap - Tick
Miller has been selected to an AFL club with basically very very little training and just turning up to games and putting in a good enough show to get selected, One can only assume that under a proper training/Diet/Coaching Regime there must be massive upside - Tick

Richmond passed on Sam Hayes 3 times and i have no doubt they would have passed on him a 4th time in favour of Miller as they simply didnt rate him and didnt believe he would make the grade at a higher level , But you could see the smiles at the Tigers table when Miller was selected

I like the pick and what Miller has to offer and brings, Just excited about what the coaches will do with him and position he plays, I personally would like to see him play Defence and become the Astbury replacement - Keep in mind that there will be offers coming for Astbury as a free agent

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
turk-d-tiger said:
Richmond passed on Sam Hayes 3 times and i have no doubt they would have passed on him a 4th time in favour of Miller as they simply didnt rate him and didnt believe he would make the grade at a higher level , But you could see the smiles at the Tigers table when Miller was selected

Somehow the media pundits all seemed certain we were in for Hayes, maybe the RFC set out a little bit of disinfo to throw some others off.

Miller will most likely fill a KP going forward probably in defence.

I like the selection tbh

gehring

Tiger Rookie
Oct 16, 2006
Dev Tiger said:
Talking to my friend who works full time in recruiting for another Melbourne club he thinks we have done well. He thinks we nailed the Higgins, Balta and Naish picks. Higgins he thinks will be a gun, Balta has a bit of boom or bust about him but he is a freak athlete who could develop into the next Alex Rance. Naish he rated at about pick 20. Coleman-Jones he didn't rate as highly at the selection we used but thinks he could be ok. He doesn't rate Miller and will be suprised if he makes it.
DT there were a few, including myself, who thought Nathan Kreuger to be a top prospect. Can you ask your friend why not a single club selected him?

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
turk-d-tiger said:
The view i take with miller is a positive view and for good reason

Ben Miller got selected by richmond at #63 , He is listed at 196cm and CCJ is 201cm but all the pictures and video's i have seen of the 2 players together they look like they are almost exacly the same height - In the group photo with all the players Noah Balta is 195cm but looks shorter than Miller and CCJ - To me these picture sho he is 200cm

Now we have a player thats Ruckman size that runs faster than mids and has a good tank as well as amazing agilty and a very good leap - Tick
Miller has been selected to an AFL club with basically very very little training and just turning up to games and putting in a good enough show to get selected, One can only assume that under a proper training/Diet/Coaching Regime there must be massive upside - Tick

I like the pick and what Miller has to offer and brings, Just excited about what the coaches will do with him and position he plays, I personally would like to see him play Defence and become the Astbury replacement - Keep in mind that there will be offers coming for Astbury as a free agent

Agree with all that. But when you add his 30/30 in the goal kicking test you have an athletic specimen who can also kick the footy.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
The_General said:
I’d say Miller clearly has question marks, otherwise he would have gone much earlier. There’s no offense to be taken if another recruiter doesn’t think he’ll turn into a player. Few players taken in the 60s in the draft ever make it to 50 games. The odds are stacked against it. It’s up to Miller to want it enough and our coaching team to be the statistics.

Fingers crossed as he has lots of physical tools. I’d say he’s three years away at least before he’d debut though.
Yep there’s been plenty of late picks over the years who’s highlight packages make you wonder how did they not get drafted earlier I.e Dean Putt , no doubt every case is different, however Miller l8ke many others looks like he has some talent to work with.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Miller is an athletic strong tall who loves a contest. He's already half way there. Elton could have been a premiership player if he had half an idea. Griffiths could have been a premiership player if he didn't get injured. Miller just needs half an idea and be physically resilient and he'll have a good chance of making it. Hunger for a contest and ability for repeat contests is what we are looking for in our talls.

Dev Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2014
gehring said:
DT there were a few, including myself, who thought Nathan Kreuger to be a top prospect. Can you ask your friend why not a single club selected him?

He said the concern with Kreuger was his skill level and if it could hold up at AFL level. With the late picks he said clubs are looking at trying to get players who have one or more outstanding strengths and also have the capacity to devolp their weaknesses to a point were they won't stop them making it. He also said there is often a big difference in how clubs rank talent. They often get players they ranked in the twenties very late in the draft.

FistFullOfDollars

Tiger Rookie
Dec 16, 2009
Kreuger is also said to have question marks with his discipline off the field. I hope he gets his chance next year. I'm sure even as a 19 year old he could push for top 30.

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
DirtyDogTiger said:
Miller is massive

Figuratively or literally?

Hoping to get down to a session soon, so may be able to address the first :)

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
I tell ya what, I wished we'd been able to sneak Worpel into one of our picks last year. I like the look of him. Has his limitations, but him and Graham as our bulls in the future would look nice.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
The_General said:
I tell ya what, I wished we'd been able to sneak Worpel into one of our picks last year. I like the look of him. Has his limitations, but him and Graham as our bulls in the future would look nice.

Yep, can't believe he fell so far (ala Graham), KE was under 50% and that seems to have put off many recruiters. Sometimes I think recruiters focus too much on the stats and overlook where players are getting the ball. Worpel is a contested bull.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
He is. If we lose our back to back chance, I'm guessing it'll be because we've not been able to get our hands on the ball. We need more Worpel types to help protect Cotch and Martin..Hopefully we can snag one this year.