Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Shai with another pre season, along with Stacky back fit , Sheds, Dan and now Pickett man, this is what I am looking forward to next year.

These guys are gonna turn the opposition inside out.

Reactions: 3 users

James

Tiger Rookie
Sep 11, 2016
Probably rated better than most of the GeeWhizz team. Shai did some nice things but was also un sighted for periods of the game. Not all 22 players in a side will get a premium rating during games. Shai is still a kid learning his craft n I doubt he'll ever dominate a game, but he will have dominant n game changing moments in games n that's always premium.
Others would disagree about him never dominating a game. Remind me how many Brownlow votes did he get?

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Shai was more than handy in the Big Dance.
Was a good contributor and his pressure acts were very good.
Plus, he's got a premiership medallion hanging around his neck, unlike so many other AFL footballers.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
i find it funny that the AFL ratings gave our players low grades. 5/10 which was similar to many giants players. strange.
but i guess most tigers didnt really do much after halftime except high 5 and race in for the post game huddle.

Reactions: 1 user

caspar

We won!!!!!
Jun 8, 2006
Melbourne
“As long as they conduct themselves like white people, well, off the field, everyone will admire and respect … As long as they conduct themselves like human beings, they will be all right. That's the key.''

Quoting Collingwood president Allan McAlister.
(Not Eddie McQuire)
????

President 1770 - 1773?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
i find it funny that the AFL ratings gave our players low grades. 5/10 which was similar to many giants players. strange.
but i guess most tigers didnt really do much after halftime except high 5 and race in for the post game huddle.

They had as much of the ball as we did, but it was plainly an annihilation. A mockery.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Probably rated better than most of the GeeWhizz team. Shai did some nice things but was also un sighted for periods of the game. Not all 22 players in a side will get a premium rating during games. Shai is still a kid learning his craft n I doubt he'll ever dominate a game, but he will have dominant n game changing moments in games n that's always premium.

He was BOG in first half of Sydney game in 2017 where we pantsed them early but didn’t quite grab all our chances and they got us late. Couple or Maybe even one more preseason and he will get a 2 or 3 Brownlow game.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Read the AFL player ratings and they rated him as poor, I think they gave him 5/10. I thought he was much better than that. Thought his pressure was excellent, and I thought when he had the ball, everything was class.
That’s ridiculous. He was more than handy imo. We were very close to the action at the PRE and he did some really nice team things and a lot of tackling.

That tap to Lambert was a thing of beauty.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
That’s ridiculous. He was more than handy imo. We were very close to the action at the PRE and he did some really nice team things and a lot of tackling.

That tap to Lambert was a thing of beauty.

Yep I loved that, showed his footy smarts and the team ethic he has grown. Knew he was going to be crunched but went in anyway and set up a shot on goal.

The burst into the pack of players from a clearance at top speed was also awesome.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
They had as much of the ball as we did, but it was plainly an annihilation. A mockery.
agreed. demonstrates that the ratings can be biased to the number of disposals.
Simple fact is we dont rely on high numbers.
Shai and most of the team were getting dressed for the party after half time. It wasnt football
In the same way that Rance was BOG in the first half of the 2017 grand final , and then was out to lunch for the second.

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
For me the most important thing now is his a team player he didn't have that it was holding him up to be best 22 you can see now he believes and more confident now to.Kid has so much talent needs a few possies to have a impact only upside from this point.

Reactions: 1 users

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Shai with another pre season, along with Stacky back fit , Sheds, Dan and now Pickett man, this is what I am looking forward to next year.

These guys are gonna turn the opposition inside out.

This is the same rating system that had Richmond behind 6 or 7 other clubs for elite players.

Our game style shows what a croc these ratings are.

At the end of the day, Bolts has a premiership medal around his neck showing him to be a selected player in a team 15 goals better than the next best team the rest of the AFL could offer.

I'm sure he'd take the medal over the rating.

Reactions: 4 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
This is the same rating system that had Richmond behind 6 or 7 other clubs for elite players.

Our game style shows what a croc these ratings are.

At the end of the day, Bolts has a premiership medal around his neck showing him to be a selected player in a team 15 goals better than the next best team the rest of the AFL could offer.

I'm sure he'd take the medal over the rating.
All the expert individual ratings n data n stats forget or ignore the simplest n most important truism of footy. It's a TEAM game simple as that, the old adage still rings true that a champion team will beat a team of champions.

Every club has champion players n good players n list cloggers. Every club has tactics n game styles, systems n structures. But not every club has the full buy in of selfless team mentality where everyone is appreciated and respected for the effort n integrity of their role within the team and game. It's not just about the best champions or about the senior 22, it's also about the new draftee just trying to keep up in his first few training runs. Or the second, third year player being guided on field by the seniors to ensure he maintains his position within the structure who is also accepted, understood n allowed to make mistakes as he tries to find his way through a game.

We appear to be doing the team stuff way better than most other clubs at the moment and playing footy for the overall love of the game first and foremost.

Reactions: 7 users

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
TM great post. Bolton has shown his buy in to our team culture. But he has lost none of that flair that makes him special. That mark in the first final in Brisbane shows he has the talent that will win is games with his individual brilliance in the years to come.

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
All the expert individual ratings n data n stats forget or ignore the simplest n most important truism of footy. It's a TEAM game simple as that, the old adage still rings true that a champion team will beat a team of champions.

Every club has champion players n good players n list cloggers. Every club has tactics n game styles, systems n structures. But not every club has the full buy in of selfless team mentality where everyone is appreciated and respected for the effort n integrity of their role within the team and game. It's not just about the best champions or about the senior 22, it's also about the new draftee just trying to keep up in his first few training runs. Or the second, third year player being guided on field by the seniors to ensure he maintains his position within the structure who is also accepted, understood n allowed to make mistakes as he tries to find his way through a game.

We appear to be doing the team stuff way better than most other clubs at the moment and playing footy for the overall love of the game first and foremost.
Bolton is one of those magical players that make things happen whenever they touch the ball. Shedda is another. Often players like this go unrecognised and definitely under appreciated. All at just 21 years of age.

Reactions: 4 users