Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Whilst he has the X factor , The kills , The flair and the talent he is missing the most important part that will make him a true champion
Hard work !

He needs to build his tank and get to an elite level of fitness to run the entire game out at the high intensity level he shows in parts
Currently playing 50% of his games at this level and similar to Michael Walters in his first 3-4 years he will need to take the next step in 2020 and that means having the biggest pre season he has ever had

but certainly is a special talent

Reactions: 1 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Whilst he has the X factor , The kills , The flair and the talent he is missing the most important part that will make him a true champion
Hard work !

He needs to build his tank and get to an elite level of fitness to run the entire game out at the high intensity level he shows in parts
Currently playing 50% of his games at this level and similar to Michael Walters in his first 3-4 years he will need to take the next step in 2020 and that means having the biggest pre season he has ever had

but certainly is a special talent

Shai had shoulder surgery and will not do contested work till Jan, doesn't mean he can't get plenty of running in but will still hinder his pre-season.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Shai had shoulder surgery and will not do contested work till Jan, doesn't mean he can't get plenty of running in but will still hinder his pre-season.

Thats exactly what he needs and shoulder surgery will just mean he is not running for 2 weeks then can get in the miles into his legs

Reactions: 1 user

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
Compensation to all the supporters.
Bolton is a sensation talent.
Wont be as good as castgna but he will rip some games apart.
agree. Now that he's won the premiership, with Stacky, Pickett, Rioli, Edwards to influence, he will be a even better player. I'm tipping he will win more matches off his boot. He is that good!

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
agree. Now that he's won the premiership, with Stacky, Pickett, Rioli, Edwards to influence, he will be a even better player. I'm tipping he will win more matches off his boot. He is that good!

He and Rioli will alternate in playing well. Rioli 3 Bolton 0 one week nut
The following week Bolton 4 Rioli 0.
We have side that forward of centre we are so unpredictable.
Lynch-jack
Cotchin- Martin
Bolton- Rioli
Caddy- Edwards
And Castagnafield all by himself.

Reactions: 2 users

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Shai has always reminded me of ‘warrang’, the bloke on the left getting chased by my little hound. Agility and speed through the roof, he just glides.

Attachments

• 2967A6F1-71AE-44B2-A52B-16552D33633C.jpeg
    2967A6F1-71AE-44B2-A52B-16552D33633C.jpeg
    161.8 KB · Views: 39

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
This time last year, I had written the kid off and assumed he would be delisted by the end of 2019. Fantastic turnaround.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Shai has always reminded me of ‘warrang’, the bloke on the left getting chased by my little hound. Agility and speed through the roof, he just glides.
Soft hands, time, space. Kids got those three in the game n he can be almost anything he wants. Doubt he's ever gunna be a 30 possession a game type player who's constantly involved in the action. Thinking that apart from the odd moment of spectacular, he'll spend a lot of time gliding through passages of play n then we'll have to watch the replay a couple of times to figure out how the hell he did that.
Shedda's got a lot of fast twitch happening, Shai's got laconic. Just looks to be laid back, beats happening, smooth on cruise control while there's demolition derby happening around him n he comes out all shiny n straight with no panel damage while others are all banged up n steam blowing.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Shai's got laconic. Just looks to be laid back, beats happening, smooth on cruise control while there's demolition derby happening around him n he comes out all shiny n straight with no panel damage while others are all banged up n steam blowing.

Agree. He's very Maurice Rioli like in that way, can extract himself from impossible positions with ball in hand.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
At the end of the lap the players did with the premiership cup Shai was very close to us. He was just standing there, his medal around his neck but also holding it in his hand staring into the crowd.
He seemed almost bemused by it all ..."how the hell did this happen" type look on his face with a wry smile.
He understands his role in the team now. 2 years ago it was about the Shai Bolton highlight reel and it still is but he has added the Shai Bolton team man to his repertoire and that's the biggest change in him.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
He understands his role in the team now. 2 years ago it was about the Shai Bolton highlight reel and it still is but he has added the Shai Bolton team man to his repertoire and that's the biggest change in him.
I'm with you @Sintiger , I've been rewatching matches from this year and some of the little, near unnoticed team things he does are great.
I reckon as his endurance improves he will play some absolute blinders..... can't wait!

Reactions: 2 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
The kid needs 10 to 12 possies a game , but there quality ones breakes a game open.Just glides through traffic like ease can't even remember a time him being caught.Skillfull and smart footy brain to reads the play well.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
The kid needs 10 to 12 possies a game , but there quality ones breakes a game open.Just glides through traffic like ease can't even remember a time him being caught.Skillfull and smart footy brain to reads the play well.
Watched our game against the Frockers yesterday. As Dermie said " that's just about the best fourteen possession game I've ever seen " Then he amended to fifteen possession game as Shai had just kicked his fourth goal.
Kid's still learning the ropes at playing grown up footy, he's gunna be deadly when he's got fifty or sixty games under the belt.

Brimmy

Tassie Tiger
Apr 19, 2018
Daniel Rioli has always maintained Shai’s a “Gun” & Dusty reckons Shai’s the most talented player at the Club,even discounting Dusty’s Pump-Up as Ralph Carr inspired,given that he manages them both,I think we’re in for a treat watching Shai sashe through the opposition over the next few years.
Ralph Carr has taken a hammering from PRE Posters over the years generally with good reason,I think we should commend Ralph for the positive contribution he has made to the Club’s success:
1.Several years ago Ralph & Dusty’s Father read Dusty the riot act concerning what Behaviours constituted successful elite Sportsman.Dusty said he was just a young feller who liked to have a bit of fun & played up once in a while,but agreed to “...pull his head in”.
So started the extra Boxing sessions,Pilates etc;the rest is History culminating in2017.
2.Shai wasn’t fit enough to run a game out & nail down a best 22 spot.Ralph got Shai to employ a running coach.Result he’s now a Premiership player ensconced in the best22.
3.Mabior Chol,talented,but drifts through Games...not fit enough to keep getting to contests.Ralph engages a private Boxing Coach who’s currently putting Mabior through the wringer.
Sure Ralph has secured lucrative deals for his clients,that’s his job,but it’s been Win/Win/Win with Ralph,Player & RFC all profiting from Ralph’s positive involvement.
Well done Ralph Carr,he’s provided that little push his client has needed &. therefore got the Coaches message through....should be on our Payroll.

Reactions: 5 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
An exciting aspect about Shia is that he has shown he rack up big disposals at both VFL and AFL level. His early AFL games this year were 20+. Not sure if he tapered off or got more attention. But I expect in a couple more years he will average 20+ disposal seasons and be burning up the AFL.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
An exciting aspect about Shia is that he has shown he rack up big disposals at both VFL and AFL level. His early AFL games this year were 20+. Not sure if he tapered off or got more attention. But I expect in a couple more years he will average 20+ disposal seasons and be burning up the AFL.
20's are not big numbers by anyone's stretch of imagination n Shai doesn't look the type to ever rack up big numbers. There's truck loads of players getting 30 to 40 on a weekly basis, sometimes even up around the 50's as well. Far more important than avalanche of numbers is quality of usage n damage done to oppo. That's one of the biggest advantages we have over other sides at the moment. Lots of players all chipping in with merely solid numbers but doing massive damage on the way through. Along with possessions it's all the unrewarded running n blocking work to create options for the ball carrier or put massive pressure on the oppo. Little tap ons n knocks into space to allow the next player around the contest to have an extra half second to utilise better. Fully parked egos on match days, every player willing to do the little bit extra to enable his team mate to play to his ability. Dusty mentions it constantly when he's interviewed n they start gibbering about how big a game he's had, not caring who gets the goals or kicks or best on ground, just everyone putting in their two cents worth n getting the job done together.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Well done Ralph Carr,he’s provided that little push his client has needed &. therefore got the Coaches message through....should be on our Payroll.

I didnt know ralph managed 2 phones chol?

Only a matter of time before Biggy joins the east coast crew then?

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
20's are not big numbers by anyone's stretch of imagination n Shai doesn't look the type to ever rack up big numbers. There's truck loads of players getting 30 to 40 on a weekly basis, sometimes even up around the 50's as well. Far more important than avalanche of numbers is quality of usage n damage done to oppo. That's one of the biggest advantages we have over other sides at the moment. Lots of players all chipping in with merely solid numbers but doing massive damage on the way through. Along with possessions it's all the unrewarded running n blocking work to create options for the ball carrier or put massive pressure on the oppo. Little tap ons n knocks into space to allow the next player around the contest to have an extra half second to utilise better. Fully parked egos on match days, every player willing to do the little bit extra to enable his team mate to play to his ability. Dusty mentions it constantly when he's interviewed n they start gibbering about how big a game he's had, not caring who gets the goals or kicks or best on ground, just everyone putting in their two cents worth n getting the job done together.

Only 9 players averaged over 30 disposals a game this year. For Tigers Houli and Prestia averaged 27 and Martin 26. In 2 consecutive games Shai averaged 29 and 26 disposals. He can become a high possession player I have no doubt. It all depends on whether we see him more value with his impact up forward rather than pure midfield. I suspect the former.