Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact admin@puntroadend.com // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check your junk/spam emails.
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
We only scratched the surface of Shai last year.

He’s shown the ability to go into the midfield as in rounds 16-19 last year he had disposals of 22, 26 & 29 disposals in consecutive weeks.

Certainly showed fantastic goal sense and agility during games last year.

I’d like to see him played on a wing this year. He could possibly still require some frame bulk for a permanent wing position.

I expect him to flourish in whatever position he plays in. I honestly think he’d finish our season as our number 1 small forward if given the remainder of the home and away to purely play there.

Reactions: 4 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Like many of us I have spent the lockdown period watching plenty of tiger games.
When comparing 2017 to 2019 one area that we have definitely improved is forward. One aspect of that is Lynch but this bloke is definitely an upgrade on Butler.
The addition of Bolton, Stack and Pickett has also added enormously to the skill level and X factor we have around the ball.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

momentai

Tiger Champion
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
We only scratched the surface of Shai last year.

He’s shown the ability to go into the midfield as in rounds 16-19 last year he had disposals of 22, 26 & 29 disposals in consecutive weeks.

Certainly showed fantastic goal sense and agility during games last year.

I’d like to see him played on a wing this year. He could possibly still require some frame bulk for a permanent wing position.

I expect him to flourish in whatever position he plays in. I honestly think he’d finish our season as our number 1 small forward if given the remainder of the home and away to purely play there.
He has fantastic evasive skill and great speed. He also has a great feel for the game and exquisite timing. He is a the best of this type since Kevin Bartlett and will spend much of this season in the midfield.

antman

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
He's corrected the team part of his game now - I reckon some of those selfish incidents early in his career were called out by other players and coaches and he got the message. Now he looks for players in a better position as well as doing the freakishly skilled stuff. Looks on the up.

Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
He's corrected the team part of his game now - I reckon some of those selfish incidents early in his career were called out by other players and coaches and he got the message. Now he looks for players in a better position as well as doing the freakishly skilled stuff. Looks on the up.
Yep.

Could be anything, supremely talented.

The Big Richo

Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I was watching a Fox Footy recall today when Jack and Nick Riewoldt did a few Rich v St Kilda games.

There was one that we won in a close one and Jack kicked 8 I think.

One of the goals saw him get out the back and run from 40 metres to the goal line without an opponent and Nahas was also running in from the other side and should have received the handball.

Jack said Cotchin, who was yet to be Captain at that stage, took him aside afterwards and said if he wanted to be a leader he needed to be a better teammate in moments like that.

I think Bolton would have received a similar talk last year and has improved as a result.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
There was a play last year I think. Forget the game but Bolton took a brilliant mark over a couple of opponents. Landed on his feet and instead of holding the ball up and taking the glory, he dished off a handball super quick to a team mate in space. It was that moment that I was convinced that Shai has bought into the club mantra.

He will be special

Reactions: 2 users

daniel30

Tiger Rookie
Jun 14, 2010
Still scratched the surface in his game.Doesn't need a heap of possessions to have a impact and rarely waste the ball in hand.

antman

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
There was a play last year I think. Forget the game but Bolton took a brilliant mark over a couple of opponents. Landed on his feet and instead of holding the ball up and taking the glory, he dished off a handball super quick to a team mate in space. It was that moment that I was convinced that Shai has bought into the club mantra.

He will be special
not to mention the brilliant mark above two players then the quick play-on to Lynch free, who kicks the goal in the Brisbane final. If you watch the footage you can see Edwards on the sideline smirking as Shai takes the mark.

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Bolton got 2 x 25+ touch games 2 weeks in a row last year. Plus kicked at least a goal in both.
Pretty darn good stats for a young half forward, in fact they are amazing stats.
Sure, the Gold Coast game was a walkover, but the Giants were competitive.
He has potential to play more mid and possibly on the wing.

Reactions: 1 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
I thought a seminal moment for him came in the GF. He took a huge hit for the team that would have hurt. He could have shirked it, but he knew what was coming and he took it. We kept the ball moving forward because of what he did. It sure earned my respect.

Reactions: 6 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Superstar
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
not to mention the brilliant mark above two players then the quick play-on to Lynch free, who kicks the goal in the Brisbane final. If you watch the footage you can see Edwards on the sideline smirking as Shai takes the mark.
That was definitely the moment when you saw the team lesson had been learned. You take a speccy but don't dwell on it, rather he looks for the next thing he can do to contribute to the team. Passing it to Lynch who was in a prime position to kick a goal was brilliant.

The trick will be balancing the team imperative with the times when a flash of brilliance is the best thing to do. No player can always choose correctly but if Shai can consistently get most of these decisions right he'll be a star for a long time.

Great to see him do well.

DS

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I thought a seminal moment for him came in the GF. He took a huge hit for the team that would have hurt. He could have shirked it, but he knew what was coming and he took it. We kept the ball moving forward because of what he did. It sure earned my respect.
Pretty sure that passage of play led to Marlon's goal. It was great stuff from Shai. A real sign of maturity and his willingness to do the team thing.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Pretty sure that passage of play led to Marlon's goal. It was great stuff from Shai. A real sign of maturity and his willingness to do the team thing.
Despite the flashes of brilliance we see and some pretty special moments of skill that is still my favourite Shai Bolton moment. No stat, big hit but do the team thing. I bet you it's been highlighted in the team meetings a lot as well.
Also needs to be remembered that he fed out the handball to Prestia that resulted in the goal that killed off the Cats in the Prelim final. Could have had a shot under pressure but saw a teammate in a better position

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Despite the flashes of brilliance we see and some pretty special moments of skill that is still my favourite Shai Bolton moment. No stat, big hit but do the team thing. I bet you it's been highlighted in the team meetings a lot as well.
Also needs to be remembered that he fed out the handball to Prestia that resulted in the goal that killed off the Cats in the Prelim final. Could have had a shot under pressure but saw a teammate in a better position
Yep it just shows what high quality coaching and development can do. A few years back I didn't think we had that at RFC; it is now very obvious that we not only have it but at the moment it is unarguably the best in the AFL.

It's a real credit to Dimma, and the whole club really.

Reactions: 1 users