Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
Just needs to eliminate those few extra seconds where he’s trying to engineer something.

He’s trying to be Shane Edwards, but he’s doing it the wrong way. Shane’s at his most magical when he’s taking the first option before it even exists. Shane plays quantum footy, his handballs would flummox Schrodinger himself as they materialise from a state of existential flux directly in the path of a running teammate.

Shai tries to make things happen by ducking, weaving and sidestepping. That’s run of the mill physics. Predictable.

He looks so much better when he doesn’t try to force it.

To be fair Edwards was nowhere near as promising at the same age/stage of his career. Bolton is a real talent. Can do it all .. just needs more games in the position to build consistency I reckon.

Reactions: 4 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
In the votes again. Not sure what he did wrong to get dropped

Reactions: 2 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Just needs to eliminate those few extra seconds where he’s trying to engineer something.

He’s trying to be Shane Edwards, but he’s doing it the wrong way. Shane’s at his most magical when he’s taking the first option before it even exists. Shane plays quantum footy, his handballs would flummox Schrodinger himself as they materialise from a state of existential flux directly in the path of a running teammate.

Shai tries to make things happen by ducking, weaving and sidestepping. That’s run of the mill physics. Predictable.

He looks so much better when he doesn’t try to force it.
This.
Not so much about how Shai played today, but how he can be a superstar and matchwinner for the team. Be more Shedda.
1st option

Reactions: 1 user

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
No votes from coaches. Personally I thought he had a good game but butchered it a bit too much for a 14 disposal game with 6 turnovers. Think he does try and do too much at times. Sometimes first option is best.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
I reckon if the club is eyeing a player from another club, Bolton might be the one used to get the deal down.
The club would never allow him to be traded. He will reach the heights of Dusty in the next few years.
The reason he had a week at punt road could only have been to receive further training in midfield play, while his team mates met Melb.,

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The club would never allow him to be traded. He will reach the heights of Dusty in the next few years.

You mean we're going to have 2 "once in a generation" players in the same squad? So soon after having 2 in Dusty and Rance?

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Needs more midfield time. Looks great in traffic. Gives us unpredictability. Contorts the body in ways footballers don’t.

Reactions: 6 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Thought he was outstanding in the first quarter , after that thought he was quiet , with the calls of B O G I thought I’d missed something, feel a bit more sane after seeing the Coaches votes . Definitely want him through the middle more

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
In early 2019, a now sadly passed Richmond mate & I watched a lot of VFL practice matches & early rounds, mainly at Punt Road. The two players who consistently shone playing midfield roles were Bolton & Stack. In this crazy AFL & life year, we could do worse than play both in the same role in the AFL team especially with the injuries we have. My late mate always saw Higgins as an eventual first rover given how clean his hands were in his debut 2018 season. Clearly something was amiss in 2019 but he’s been back to his original level in 2020.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
Thought he was outstanding in the first quarter , after that thought he was quiet , with the calls of B O G I thought I’d missed something, feel a bit more sane after seeing the Coaches votes . Definitely want him through the middle more
I agree - I was huge on him early in the game as I thought he was dominant early. Disappeared after half time - not sure if he was still in the midfield or not but didnt seem to get near it. 4 quarter performance is the next step for him.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
He was BOG in the first half, when it was a game of football. That's why I gave him votes.