Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
21 y.o. with 45 games under the belt. Just wait till the little bugger finishes apprenticeship school, gunna be some kinda serious awesome player.

Reactions: 3 users

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
He played well in the last quarter. maybe it took him a little bit of getting used to Edwards and Prestia being there?
I think he was out of form for the previous two games (getting caught). Playing in the forward line has produced his best. Having this confidence will prove beneficial in the upcoming games.

nikolasmia

Tiger Superstar
Sep 3, 2007
It is a blessing and a gift to watch Shai Bolton every week

He is an absolute superstar, getting better and now starting to dominate not only home and away games but also finals

This is the bloke that Dusty is gunna give the mantle to, by the time Dusty retires, this bloke will be the best player at Richmond, if it doesn't happen earlier

He has pace, evasive ability, clearance ability, elite in SI, elite in MG, elite in I50s.

Reactions: 9 users

bringbakflemmo

Tiger Superstar
Apr 15, 2009
It is a blessing and a gift to watch Shai Bolton every week

He is an absolute superstar, getting better and now starting to dominate not only home and away games but also finals

This is the bloke that Dusty is gunna give the mantle to, by the time Dusty retires, this bloke will be the best player at Richmond, if it doesn't happen earlier

He has pace, evasive ability, clearance ability, elite in SI, elite in MG, elite in I50s.
Spot on Niko.
He is the most skilful player I’ve seen in a Richmond jumper since Maurice Rioli.
Is an absolute star in the making.
Physically he has all the goods it will just be a mental game for him in future.

Reactions: 2 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
A rare talent, no doubt. Very slight of build, just wonder what would happen if injury hit and he lost some of that agility like e.g. Jamie Elliott (Collingwood version).

Shai hit the weights in the offseason and has bulked upped in the upper body and is ripped as post match footage showed, (if you were a stalker like me you would have noticed ;) ).

Jamie Elliott the equivalent, please!! all he ever did at his peak was jump on players heads, nowhere near the talent, creativity and vision of Shai IMO.

As for worrying about injury, wiry types no more likely to get injured than anyone else, maybe less, (KB & Kade Simpson both sticks with no muscle definition at all hardly missed a game through injury in their 400 and 300 game careers). Oh and Shedda no greater current day Tiger example.

Last edited:

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Jamie Elliott the equivalent, please!! all he ever did at his peak was jump on players heads, nowhere near the talent, creativity and vision of Shai IMO.
He doesn't really have an equivalent. Elliott was the nearest I could think of, a rubber-man type when younger who has been slowed up considerably by injury. (Think we were into him heavily 4-5 years ago?). If Shai had, say, ankle problems that stopped him from pivoting at ridiculous angles, he'd be a different player.

He might've bulked up but he doesn't yet have the strength to break a good tackle. I'm a worrier and always check that he gets up OK after he's been nailed.

Reactions: 1 user

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Shai hit the weights in the offseason and has bulked upped in the upper body and is ripped as post match footage showed, (if you were a stalker like me you would have noticed ;) ).

As for worrying about injury, wiry types no more likely to get injured than anyone else, maybe less, (KB & Kade Simpson both sticks with no muscle definition at all hardly missed a game through injury in their 400 and 300 game careers). Oh and Shedda no greater current day Tiger example.
With a build like yours Caesar, I reckon you’ll live till you’re 120

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
He doesn't really have an equivalent. Elliott was the nearest I could think of, a rubber-man type when younger who has been slowed up considerably by injury. (Think we were into him heavily 4-5 years ago?). If Shai had, say, ankle problems that stopped him from pivoting at ridiculous angles, he'd be a different player.

He might've bulked up but he doesn't yet have the strength to break a good tackle. I'm a worrier and always check that he gets up OK after he's been nailed.

I have no solutions to your worrying LTRTR so I will leave you to them ;) :)

Plus Shai is not there to break tackles he is there to evade tackles.

Last edited:

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
When the maturing Shai plays well he reminds me of Bartlett. Or Platten.

Last week against St Kilda he decided he was Daicos. Worked out ok.

BTW when was the last time a Tiger kicked goal of the year consecutively in a final? And three total? (Think Bartlett.)

This *smile* is not normal.

Reactions: 9 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
His second goal was brilliant. One of the goals of the season.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014

I agree with Caesar that Shai has that very wiry, flexible type of body that can be very durable in AFL. It's like that old fable about the Oak and reed in a tempest. The oak crashes to ground; the reed just bends and it passes by. Another of this type IMO was Michael Tuck - games record-holder.

But Shai most reminds me of another AFL indigenous legend. Gavin Wanganeen. The greatest rubber-man type yet perhaps.

Reactions: 4 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Shai seems pretty durable, can't remember him being injured much in his career so far.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
At the start of his career I didn't think he had the ingredients to be a top AFL player so pleased to see how wrong I was. Either as a mid or small forward Shai has gone up a few levels this season. If he keeps up this improvement then the sky's the limit for him.

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I thought his first was even better.

What I really liked about his first goal was that he looked to be trying to find another option, a pass to a player in a better position or the like. When he saw this was not possible, all the while dodging and weaving to avoid being tackled, he figured he had to have a go himself.

So, unselfish, made the time to assess options, plus had the ability to score the goal when other options proved to be non-existent.

Showing a real maturity and talent, sign him on for 7 years!

DS