Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Cometh the moment, cometh the man. Miers rushed panic behind from directly in front when Geelong were threatening to blow the game apart in the second qtr was absolutely massive for us. I'd like to thank Gryan for his services to the RFC!
Yes that’s true but to be fair he kicked a really good goal in the 3rd quarter

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Especially for Caesar

Jon Ralph
The Australian
MARCH 5, 2021

Richmond breakout star Shai Bolton has no intention of testing the market this year with his manager Ralph Carr yesterday pledging “he will stay” at Tigerland.

Bolton finished fourth in the Richmond best and fairest and as a dual premiership midfielder who only turns 23 in December he has the football world at his feet.

Carr manages out-of-contract Tigers Bolton, Daniel Rioli and Mabior Chol, with the trio all keen to remain next year despite their deals expiring.

Bolton has at times been linked to a move back to West Australia and with his withering pace and classy skills is exactly the kind of player rivals would hope to inject into their midfield mix.

Richmond’s array of talent and tight salary cap also means they cannot offer their mid-tier players the vast wages they might command elsewhere.

Yet Carr revealed to the Herald Sun yesterday that while contract talks might take some time, Bolton’s only priority was eventually re-signing with the club.

“My feeling is he won’t move from Tigerland. He will stay. He is a ripping kid and why would he want to go anywhere else. He has only just turned 22 and his breakout year is probably this year. He is a special player. He is just a beauty.”

On the open market Bolton would easily be worth $600,000 to a team that signed him on a long-term deal to add break-neck speed and goalkicking (15 goals in 2020) from the midfield.

Bolton kicked three dynamic goals in the knockout semi-final against St Kilda then capped off his season with a seven-tackle, 16 possession Grand Final that included nine contested possessions.

In a season that is expected to involve gut-busting midfield efforts because of limited interchanges and a premium on quick onballers given the man-on-the-mark rule Bolton could barely be better placed.

Rioli, 23, is also keen to stay and while he has always loved the club, the drafting of Maurice Rioli jr only cements his place at Punt Road.

Richmond has many of its stars and valuable role players out of contract this year including Jack Riewoldt, Nick Vlastuin and Ivan Soldo.

Despite a media report about Sydney luring Martin up north after his contract expires he has four more seasons on his contract, loves Richmond and could not be better placed to finish that deal strongly.

Martin, who only turns 30 in June, has played 244 AFL games and should set his sights on 350 games or more if he can continue his remarkable durability.

Coach Damien Hardwick says he is in awe of Martin’s ability to continually improve upon his form after three North Smith Medals, with his only issue holding the Brownlow Medallist back this early in the season.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...2/news-story/f4e52a142560415118c9fc3429923e7b

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Especially for Caesar

Jon Ralph
The Australian
MARCH 5, 2021

Richmond breakout star Shai Bolton has no intention of testing the market this year with his manager Ralph Carr yesterday pledging “he will stay” at Tigerland.

Bolton finished fourth in the Richmond best and fairest and as a dual premiership midfielder who only turns 23 in December he has the football world at his feet.

Carr manages out-of-contract Tigers Bolton, Daniel Rioli and Mabior Chol, with the trio all keen to remain next year despite their deals expiring.

Bolton has at times been linked to a move back to West Australia and with his withering pace and classy skills is exactly the kind of player rivals would hope to inject into their midfield mix.

Richmond’s array of talent and tight salary cap also means they cannot offer their mid-tier players the vast wages they might command elsewhere.

Yet Carr revealed to the Herald Sun yesterday that while contract talks might take some time, Bolton’s only priority was eventually re-signing with the club.

“My feeling is he won’t move from Tigerland. He will stay. He is a ripping kid and why would he want to go anywhere else. He has only just turned 22 and his breakout year is probably this year. He is a special player. He is just a beauty.”

On the open market Bolton would easily be worth $600,000 to a team that signed him on a long-term deal to add break-neck speed and goalkicking (15 goals in 2020) from the midfield.

Bolton kicked three dynamic goals in the knockout semi-final against St Kilda then capped off his season with a seven-tackle, 16 possession Grand Final that included nine contested possessions.

In a season that is expected to involve gut-busting midfield efforts because of limited interchanges and a premium on quick onballers given the man-on-the-mark rule Bolton could barely be better placed.

Rioli, 23, is also keen to stay and while he has always loved the club, the drafting of Maurice Rioli jr only cements his place at Punt Road.

Richmond has many of its stars and valuable role players out of contract this year including Jack Riewoldt, Nick Vlastuin and Ivan Soldo.

Despite a media report about Sydney luring Martin up north after his contract expires he has four more seasons on his contract, loves Richmond and could not be better placed to finish that deal strongly.

Martin, who only turns 30 in June, has played 244 AFL games and should set his sights on 350 games or more if he can continue his remarkable durability.

Coach Damien Hardwick says he is in awe of Martin’s ability to continually improve upon his form after three North Smith Medals, with his only issue holding the Brownlow Medallist back this early in the season.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...2/news-story/f4e52a142560415118c9fc3429923e7b
I love Ralph Mouth.
Bolton is a star.
I would offer him 5 years.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Especially for Caesar

Jon Ralph
The Australian
MARCH 5, 2021

Music to my ears:cool::clap2

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I love Ralph Mouth.
Bolton is a star.
I would offer him 5 years.

I'm guessing 3 more years after 2021. I think that will take him to FA. If we are starting to slip away then, I reckon he might then take a look around at a big pay day.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Do you think Ralph seeded the notion that he is worth $600k a year on an open market? Me says he is muck-raking.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Do you think Ralph seeded the notion that he is worth $600k a year on an open market? Me says he is muck-raking.

Ralphy will be asking for a 2 for 1 dea,l take it or leave it, he will be saying to RFC Shai will stay but you have to take his stablemate Chol whos breakout year will surely be this year as well ;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I don't care what people think, he is the best under 23 player in the comp.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Ralph gets a lot of *smile* from us, but he's always kept his prize players with us even though they most likely could earn more somewhere else. Sure he extracts the maximum $ he can from us for his players, but that's his job.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Ralph gets a lot of *smile* from us, but he's always kept his prize players with us even though they most likely could earn more somewhere else. Sure he extracts the maximum $ he can from us for his players, but that's his job.
Its obvious with Shai on the rise, and the near term retirements of Jackmond, Cotchin, Dave and Bash at the least their is going to be plenty of cash for Bolton going forward.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Good to hear Shai is a happy Tiger. Seriously though why wouldn't you be?
Yep he's got to be pretty happy with things a first 18 player with 2 flags hopefully will be at the very least a 3 time Tiger Premiership Player.

Things were looking a little bit dicey with him in 2018 but I reckon he's pretty happy he stayed.

He's a gun he loves it at the Tigers.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
he's never got any from me. I'd have him as my manager if I hadn't been cut down by a tragic lack of ability

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users