Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
Has to stop trying to be the main attraction. It is a team game so don't always go for goal when a team mate is in the square.
And how about playing the role of a small crumbing fwd which we are desperately lacking, rather than trying to outmark our talls. Jack usually has 2 on him so we need you and Aarts and Dan at his feet.

Reactions: 1 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I've no idea but we will have a pretty good idea in a few months time. If he went to another Melbourne club then it could only be for the money.

That's not a criticism either, if he asked my advice I'd say take the longest, most lucrative deal you can, whoever that comes from.
I agree if he goes to another Melbourne club it will be for money only. That would be disappointing.

I'd like to think that money is not the be all and end all for footy players; or anyone for that matter. Obviously it's important but he's going to be extremely well recompensed no matter what he does. Surely job satisfaction and a sense of achievement and success that he has had and is likely to continue to have at a great club (which has proven to be diverse, inclusive and is at the forefront and championing reconciliation and the plight of indigenous Australians), and with great team mates, accounts for something? Does an extra $200K per year at say, North, mean that much when you're playing in front of 15,000 people every week or 7,000 people 3 times a year in Hobart? Spending the rest of your career struggling in the lower half of the ladder?

You really think that players should take the best deal whatever that is and whoever it is from? Glad your mate Dustin doesn't think that. Would you have advised him to take the North offer 4 years ago?

Reactions: 1 user

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Has to stop trying to be the main attraction. It is a team game so don't always go for goal when a team mate is in the square.
And how about playing the role of a small crumbing fwd which we are desperately lacking, rather than trying to outmark our talls. Jack usually has 2 on him so we need you and Aarts and Dan at his feet.
Shai is the main attraction, when you can do it all you do it all!
Has been crumbing goals all year, telling Shai not to jump is like telling Liam Ryan not to jump, (do you really want that?). Without that fly by Shai Jack would have been 3 on 1 and Barrass would have marked, instead it was brought to ground and Lambo goaled.
Agree on his terrible burn of Aarts in the goal square though, no way Shai didn't see him as we all know he has vision.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I reckon

that $hai + Ralph + Rfc = $2m a year in the short term,

whereas $hai + Ralph + (any other club, given 3 of the other big 4 will be *smile* until $hai is 30) = $1.5m a year

Dusty and Ralph just spent $14m in Richmond real estate. Given Dusty has been paid around $3m of his last deal with RFC, this suggest 1. Dusty is an elite saver, 2. Dusty has a gift for backing fast horses, 3. Dusty has a huge line of credit, 4. Dusty is related to John Barilaro or 5. Ralph leverages talent and success and RFC's reach and at least doubles your money, probably triples it

clearly its 5.

$hai stays. Its a no brainer from every POV. Money, accolades, footy development, fun.

we might as well can the conversation and talk about something else.

Reactions: 6 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
I reckon

whereas $hai + Ralph + (any other club, given 3 of the other big 4 will be *smile* until $hai is 30) = $1.5m a year

Dusty and Ralph just spent $14m in Richmond real estate. Given Dusty has been paid around $3m of his last deal with RFC, this suggest 1. Dusty is an elite saver, 2. Dusty has a gift for backing fast horses, or 3. Ralph leverages talent and success and RFC's reach and at least doubles your money.

clearly its 3.

$hai stays. Its a no brainer from every POV. Money, accolades, footy development, fun.

This is spot on. He’ll make as much money if not more sticking with Carr and RFC. He won’t get that exposure at Fremantle or most Victorian clubs. If he moves, it will be to be closer to family.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
He isn’t going to be paid 5 times more at another club so we have to pay close enough to what others are offering but still less and he can make the rest up via indirect means like Dusty.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I reckon

Dusty and Ralph just spent $14m in Richmond real estate. Given Dusty has been paid around $3m of his last deal with RFC, this suggest 1. Dusty is an elite saver, 2. Dusty has a gift for backing fast horses, 3. Dusty has a huge line of credit, 4. Dusty is related to John Barilaro or 5. Ralph leverages talent and success and RFC's reach and at least doubles your money, probably triples it

clearly its 5.

Bingo, the better Dusty does the more Shai will stay.

How the times have changed that we consider Ralph Carr a Richmond asset.

And on top of that, I'm not sure many clubs could offer a trade package that suits Richmond. It's as big as Jezza or the Tim Kelly deal.

Reactions: 3 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I've no idea but we will have a pretty good idea in a few months time. If he went to another Melbourne club then it could only be for the money.

That's not a criticism either, if he asked my advice I'd say take the longest, most lucrative deal you can, whoever that comes from.

You are right that if he leaves now it will be for money.

IMO though Ralph Carr will ensure that he has his head in the right place. Will sign for the Tigers until free agency and then will have his pick of clubs that are going for premierships, whether our window is still open then I don't know, or whether another Vic club (maybe even the Bombers come knocking then, or he heads home to Freo).

Personally reckon he will sign for us for the next 3 but Shai is a cream on the top type of player, probably now what a rebuilding team will get the most out of, so I think we'll have him for the next 3 years but whether he will be with us for the rest of his career remains to be seen.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Ultimately Shai has to balance income versus all the other factors.

But, a lot of footballers have very little in the way of alternate income sources once their career ends. What jobs will they get? A guy like Shai doesn't look like he would get a media job, I very much doubt indigenous Australians get much in the way of high flying job offers in business and I can't see much else he would be able to get. Footballers who make it to AFL level, and many (likely more) who don't make the level, have sacrificed other employment options to pursue the dream. Yes, they are very well compensated but their careers are short and their ability to earn later is often very limited.

They need to set themselves up for life from a short career,

I hope Shai stays. I think we have a few factors which do make a difference: success, the support we now have for indigenous players etc. I think he will stay but the reality is he needs to make money now, invest wisely and also leverage his prominence now to earn more on the side, or the money he has made from footy will run out and then where will he be?

DS

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Yeah in most cases I do, and I definitely would have told him to take that deal had he asked. :peepwall

I think we romanticise sporting careers in ways we never would in other areas of life and decision making. Success is great and a nice bonus, but a premiership medal doesn't keep your house warm when you are 45. Working at a great club is nice too, but the reality is all footy clubs are fun places to work. You find similar characters in all of them, there's always a lot of laughs and a lot of mostly similar personality types in players who for the most part get on really well. The winning and losing side of it passes quickly and that ebbs and flows anyway.

If it was one of our kids and they had a choice between working at Coles and Woolworths, and one of them was going to pay them five times more, I don't think many of us would stop to worry about which one would have the most sales or greatest customer satisfaction ratings before telling them to take the deal.

Above all of that, the big factor in my mind is always that you are only ever a bad injury away from the end in professional sport. If Bolton's knee pops tomorrow, he could easily be out of the game by 26 years of age, with not much to show for it. I've seen many people end up in that boat so I always say if you can set up your life then take the chance.
So Dusty would have been a triple premiership & norm smith medalist at the Kangaroos if he had taken your advice.

• Haha

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Yeah in most cases I do, and I definitely would have told him to take that deal had he asked. :peepwall

I think we romanticise sporting careers in ways we never would in other areas of life and decision making. Success is great and a nice bonus, but a premiership medal doesn't keep your house warm when you are 45. Working at a great club is nice too, but the reality is all footy clubs are fun places to work. You find similar characters in all of them, there's always a lot of laughs and a lot of mostly similar personality types in players who for the most part get on really well. The winning and losing side of it passes quickly and that ebbs and flows anyway.

If it was one of our kids and they had a choice between working at Coles and Woolworths, and one of them was going to pay them five times more, I don't think many of us would stop to worry about which one would have the most sales or greatest customer satisfaction ratings before telling them to take the deal.

Above all of that, the big factor in my mind is always that you are only ever a bad injury away from the end in professional sport. If Bolton's knee pops tomorrow, he could easily be out of the game by 26 years of age, with not much to show for it. I've seen many people end up in that boat so I always say if you can set up your life then take the chance.
A career-ending injury could happen at any club. Shai signing for five years on good coin would alleviate that concern.

If it was that much of a worry, he'd be looking to sign already.

Last edited:

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Probably not but could you have guaranteed him he would be before he signed?

Predicting winning premierships is an impossible task. If he hadn't won any, I'd bet an extra couple of million would make him feel a little better though.
So in 2017 when Dusty and his team are flying and on the cusp of making history with his close mates you would have advised him to sign at North for the extra money?

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
This is Ralph Carr 101. If he stays in Melbourne, it will be with us. If he leaves, it will be to go to WA. I think he'll stay, we will have some deadwood to go at years end along with a few retirees.
I have No idea wether he stays or go St Kev , however let’s not forget Dusty , was for a moment going to North , Ralph is a dangerous manager to have , less players with him the better I’d say , costs us no matter what , yes that what a mangers job is , however I think he’s a lot smarter in this game then the ex player managers.
Geez I hope Shai stays , however I don’t know why everybody is so certain he stays , Brando had two Flags as well , got what most say is a 100k more an left to move interstate , not home to a *smile* plastic club .

Last edited:

bairdy380

Beer friend me good...
Dec 9, 2004
I agree with tbr... the golden handcuffs can keep anybody, in any role, in any industry.... especially when you factor in long term capacity and risk. If you know you’ve only got 5-10 years to make your coin in AFL you need to consider everything objectively...

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003

There is a fundamental flaw in your analysis. It's all fine if a player gets a motza more than they were on, say Ellis, Hill, mayne, but that is clearly not the case with dusty or Shai. Can't buy firewood or feed his kids if he's on 700 rather than 900?? Seriously? Then there is tax, success, strength of club etc. Dusty would be bummed big time if you were his manager.

Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
There is a fundamental flaw in your analysis. It's all fine if a player gets a motza more than they were on, say Ellis, Hill, mayne, but that is clearly not the case with dusty or Shai. Can't buy firewood or feed his kids if he's on 700 rather than 900?? Seriously? Then there is tax, success, strength of club etc. Dusty would be bummed big time if you were his manager.

and as if Bonds would pay $1m a year for a bloke from back2back wooden spooners with 10,000 members to walk around in their undies holding onto a Kangaroo

• Haha

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Shai is the best #29 we've had since the best #29 we've ever had.

I don't know if he'll stay but I hope like hell that he does. He's a huge part of our future.

Reactions: 1 users