Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Those watching the Port game tonight will have an insight into where my earlier posts in this thread are coming from.

Young Kane Farrell, probably the best left foot kick in Australia, just starting to find his way in senior footy and with a hugely promising career in front of him.

One tackle later, ACL gone, 12 months out and good luck fighting for your career.

That's why I always say take the money when you can.

I get what you are saying, but lets say he was offered $600k for 5 by Richmond and $700k for 5 by Freo, its not actually that much difference, either way you look at it, its a lot of money. Invested wisely can set the kid up for life.

He will be paid well wherever he goes.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I agree in that scenario but if there's a significant difference in terms or length of contract then I think it becomes much more compelling. And in this case I suspect there will be.
Yeah it all comes down to what we offer. Its why I have absolutely zero bad thinking about Ellis, couldn't believe some moron was booing him on Thursday. The difference in earnings would have been huge and setting himself up.

Where do you think the difference will be? Our offer (ie. less than $600k) or someone elses (ie more than $700k)? Or are you thinking its more on the contract length?

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
I agree in that scenario but if there's a significant difference in terms or length of contract then I think it becomes much more compelling. And in this case I suspect there will be.
If that’s the case do you think it is more to do with us sticking to our pay structures or is our cap space maxed as is?

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014
He will announce a new 3 year deal before our first final.

We will win that final by 47 points.

I'm putting my substantial test!cles on the line.

Reactions: 1 user

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Let’s say we’re offering $hai $600,000 pa x 3 years and another team just outside the 8 offering $800,000
What do you think he’d do?

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
He will announce a new 3 year deal before our first final.

We will win that final by 47 points.

I'm putting my substantial test!cles on the line.
And how are we to verify the truth or exaggeration in regard to the term substantial?

• Haha

Ripplestick

Tiger Champion
Jan 18, 2007
If he goes to Freo it will be homesickness. So it wouldn't matter what we offered.

I reckon the bombers will be right into him, probably into Chol or Rioli too so shy Shai has a mate to go along with him.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
FMD, the AFL site has the clip of Bolton’s “dangerous tackle” asking the question “Is Bolton in trouble for this dangerous tackle?” Pathetic.

• Angry
Reactions: 3 users

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
Whatever he wants just pay him. He is one of the players that can and does change the course of the game. He just makes things happen out of nothing. D Martin does it too. These players are the difference to winning finals. Last night was an elimination final for us. They all are from here on in.

Reactions: 4 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Whatever he wants just pay him. He is one of the players that can and does change the course of the game. He just makes things happen out of nothing. D Martin does it too. These players are the difference to winning finals. Last night was an elimination final for us. They all are from here on in.
Agree TM , however I don’t agree with over paying him , Bolton appears to be one of those players who everyone sees the excellent exciting stuff , but we look over the missed targets, running under the ball and poor defensive running. Don’t get me wrong I love Shai as a Tiger too, however I don’t want to over pay for a player who is far from the complete package , his been good this year, however I doubt his in AA talk which is what he should be for the money his asking for .

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
FMD, the AFL site has the clip of Bolton’s “dangerous tackle” asking the question “Is Bolton in trouble for this dangerous tackle?” Pathetic.
Parrot is the head of AFL Media isn't he ?

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Shai took a massive step forward when Martin was last out injured. Assuming we've lost Martin for a few weeks, it's going to be interesting to see how Shai goes.

Part of me wants to him to step up another level and cement his position as one of the leagues best. Another part of me wants him to keep that potential under wraps until he signs a new contract with us.

Reactions: 1 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Shai is already a junior version of Dusty without the build so I expect him to stand tall and take his playing to an even better level now he is the 'main man' for the rest of the season

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Needs quality around him, so he can exploit the opposition. Without it, he gets a lot more attention and needs to do more of his own work.....
Hmmmm indeed