Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Don't think any club has signed a small forward on a $600k per year deal. Not sure why he's essentially playing permanently forward other than playing injured?

Yep not sure why Shai is not getting more midfield time, imo we always look better when he is in there, could have a niggle or having to spend more forward because of Dusty's absence and now the dumped George & Aarts.

Tough crowd, Shai's season so far:

In his fifth AFL season, the midfield talent has averaged 20.1 disposals, 8.5 contested possessions, 3.7 clearances, 6.1 score involvements and 364.9 metres gained across 18 games.

Reactions: 3 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Been critical of Shais second half of the season, however I thought he battled well all night, not fussed about a couple turnovers , that happens with Shai, however he kept competing and added some spark we were crying out for.

Reactions: 1 users

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
The night club fiasco halted the considerable momentum building for Shai this yr. Both from a physical and mental perspective.

Like so many of our other players, a rest and a big pre-season may just see him take the next step to being one of the elites of the comp.

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
I notice Cerra made the team also.

Why do fans select the final 22? It’s not a popularity contest.
Bit silly isnt it. Shai missed last year as a result, and then didnt even win Mark of the Week earlier this season (Mihochek lol). Shai must not be a very popular player in the eyes of opposition supporters?

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
A bump for you caesar.

I can't believe that I had to go back to August to find Shai.

‘I honestly just play for fun’: The story behind breakout star Bolton​

By Michael Gleeson

February 13, 2022 — 4.56pm

Last year Shai Bolton took mark of the year, but not mark of the round. He was in a punch-up in a nightclub that saw him punished by the AFL but not his club. He became the new pillar of the Richmond midfield without Dusty and in the space of a season moved from exciting young player to bona-fide star.

It was the very definition of a breakout season.

Twelve months ago, Bolton was a flashy forward flanker who spent short bursts in the midfield but when Dustin Martin and then Dion Prestia were out injured and Shane Edwards and Trent Cotchin missed games Richmond needed someone to take hold of the midfield. Others contributed, but Bolton was the standout.

“I just think last year I felt like going into midfield more, getting me around the ball more, made me feel more confident. And I think, like every player, you just get more confident and you do things that you’ll do back at home or back where we used to play and in my eyes if you are confident you will play good football,” he said.

He recently returned from his break back home in WA, where he said he was “more disciplined than I have ever been” with his diet, and got a personal trainer to train with him. He says he returned for pre-season fitter than any time in the past. Yes, this time of year is rife with stories of ‘fitter than ever’ players, but Bolton as a new star of the competition was plainly determined not to be complacent.

Out of contract at season’s end, and despite the strong pull of family in WA, he was not tempted to leave Punt Road and signed on to remain with the Tigers.
He has an uncluttered approach to the very cluttered idea of modern football, which takes a simple game and makes it difficult.
He understands the need for structures, plans and set plays, but also says football is still just a game – play it for fun and play it the way you always played it, so jump on a head for the speccy and snap the goal to get the crowd up and going.

That basic ethos, he said, was behind his breakout year. Don’t get caught up in who the opposition is, or who is not in your team, and only worry about the crowd if you can get them excited and pump you up.

“I honestly just play for fun and Dimma [Hardwick] talks about that all the time ... I am pretty chilled and, you know, I love playing football and I love winning obviously. And I just love to play the game and just have fun with it.

"I talk to [Indigenous teammates] about it all the time. Obviously, you know us Indigenous boys we are all pretty close. If we had a bad game or he [Maurice Rioli junior] had a bad game, I just give him a talk and just say like, ‘you’re very young, you know you are only going to get better’.
“I can’t explain it, it’s just that chemistry that just connects us. It doesn’t matter where Daniel [Rioli] is from, it doesn’t matter where Marlion [Pickett] is from, we all just come together and just connect. I think it’s just in general Indigenous people we connect.”

Shai Bolton says he would love to play the All-Stars game again.

CREDIT:
Bolton wants the AFL Indigenous All-Stars games, another AFL casualty of COVID-19, to be reinstated as soon as possible.
The chance to play together as Indigenous players was not something that should be lost in the wash of things that have disappeared with COVID-19 ripping through the competition, he said.
“It would be good [to play the All-Stars game again]. The first time I watched it I was in Perth. Shedder [Shane Edwards] was talking about it that they were considering it [coming back], I’m not too sure. It would be good if it did.”
It is the idea of playing together like you are a kid and thrilling the crowd with a mark or a goal that excites Bolton.

Behaving on instinct has its limitations. Bolton last year got in a fracas in a nightclub and broke his wrist when he jumped in to defend teammate Rioli after another patron had insulted Rioli’s girlfriend then hit Rioli.
Bolton instinctively intervened to defend his teammate. He and Richmond

were later fined $20,000 by the AFL because Bolton had “exacerbated the situation not de-escalated it”. Instructively Richmond did not punish Bolton.

Bolton did not want to talk about that night and its aftermath, which was one of the moments that punctuated an extraordinary season for him. It was a season in which he won mark of the year for his effort against Geelong in round eight but bizarrely was not voted in as mark of the round in the popular vote of fans.

‘I am pretty chilled and, you know, I love playing football and I love winning obviously. And I just love to play the game and just have fun with it.’
Shai Bolton
Richmond is a big club but the weight of Collingwood numbers voting for their forward Brody Mihocek originally saw the Magpie getting the nod as mark of the round. An AFL rule allowed Bolton to still be eligible to win mark of the year.

“Everyone at home was trying to vote for me. I think the only one who was really excited was probably my mum. My family are pretty chilled, so they don’t say much about it, and they’ve seen me take speccies since I was a kid.

“But my mum, when I’d first done it, she was very excited. When it didn’t make mark of the week she was like ‘what!’

“I didn’t really take much notice of it, I knew it was a better mark! But it kind of just goes quick in AFL football, you move on to the next thing, the next game, and you’ve got to think about other stuff.”

He later won the mark of the year and edged out teammate Jack Riewoldt, which plainly gave him great pleasure on the awards night. “Maybe next time mate,” he smiled patronisingly.

Bolton unashamedly loves the adrenalin of the stage and delivering the big mark or goal.
“It’s a hard one to know [which is more fun]. You kick a pretty good goal and the crowd goes wild. I reckon both – the crowd get into you and it hypes you up a bit more.
“I kind of just jump at the ball and if I see someone there it’s like I just go at the ball, I don’t think ‘oh I’m going to jump on your back’.
“Sometimes I feel like that adrenalin when you get that run up and you just know that you’re gonna jump on someone’s head but the thing is you have got to mark it or sometimes it slips out so you think about the mark.

“Every time when I feel like I’m going to jump on someone I get excited. But that’s been in me since I was little. I loved taking screamers when I was in junior football. I tried to do it as much as I can. But, obviously, now football, AFL sometimes you got to just stay down.
“The coaching staff and Dimma say the structures are just like a starting point for you and then from there just play footy. I just think about playing football as when I was a kid back at home. Just enjoying it, just having fun. I still do it to this day right now. Playing football, I don’t take it too seriously because I love playing football and it’s just fun for me.
“A lot of Indigenous players play off instinct. And I think they just play like how they used to play back home. It’s just fun. They take structures and stuff seriously, obviously it’s like a big thing, but when you have got the ball in your hand you just want to take the game on. I think it just comes naturally.”

• Love
Reactions: 18 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
He was more than a "flashy forward" before last year. His break out midfield year was actually 2020 when he spent large period in the middle because of injuries.

Reactions: 4 users

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
gotta love “The coaching staff and Dimma say the structures are just like a starting point for you and then from there just play footy. "

that is so good to hear on many levels

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
If $hai was going at 80% yesterday,

he'll win the Brownlow,

or at least a three way tie with Dusty and Dion

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
If $hai was going at 80% yesterday,

he'll win the Brownlow,

or at least a three way tie with Dusty and Dion
Young bloke's got plenty of party on match days, enough to take the breath away in nearly all aspects of the game. Not sure he's got enough stodge churn n accumulate factor to win himself a brownlow though.
He's not the type to simply chug along in traffic all day long, he'll be doing burn outs running red lights n weaving through traffic at 30 kliks an hour faster than the rest of the plebs n generally providing the adrenaline rush.

• Haha

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
I think if he and one or two others go to another level, we will be in good stead this season. Needs to play predominantly as a strike midfielder, we're at our best clearance wise when 2 of Prestia, Martin and Bolton are on ball.

Reactions: 4 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I think if he and one or two others go to another level, we will be in good stead this season. Needs to play predominantly as a strike midfielder, we're at our best clearance wise when 2 of Prestia, Martin and Bolton are on ball.
Game completely changed when he pushed further up the ground. The Dusty role.

Reactions: 6 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
A bump for you caesar.

I can't believe that I had to go back to August to find Shai.

‘I honestly just play for fun’: The story behind breakout star Bolton​

By Michael Gleeson

February 13, 2022 — 4.56pm

Last year Shai Bolton took mark of the year, but not mark of the round. He was in a punch-up in a nightclub that saw him punished by the AFL but not his club. He became the new pillar of the Richmond midfield without Dusty and in the space of a season moved from exciting young player to bona-fide star.

It was the very definition of a breakout season.

Twelve months ago, Bolton was a flashy forward flanker who spent short bursts in the midfield but when Dustin Martin and then Dion Prestia were out injured and Shane Edwards and Trent Cotchin missed games Richmond needed someone to take hold of the midfield. Others contributed, but Bolton was the standout.

“I just think last year I felt like going into midfield more, getting me around the ball more, made me feel more confident. And I think, like every player, you just get more confident and you do things that you’ll do back at home or back where we used to play and in my eyes if you are confident you will play good football,” he said.

He recently returned from his break back home in WA, where he said he was “more disciplined than I have ever been” with his diet, and got a personal trainer to train with him. He says he returned for pre-season fitter than any time in the past. Yes, this time of year is rife with stories of ‘fitter than ever’ players, but Bolton as a new star of the competition was plainly determined not to be complacent.

Out of contract at season’s end, and despite the strong pull of family in WA, he was not tempted to leave Punt Road and signed on to remain with the Tigers.
He has an uncluttered approach to the very cluttered idea of modern football, which takes a simple game and makes it difficult.
He understands the need for structures, plans and set plays, but also says football is still just a game – play it for fun and play it the way you always played it, so jump on a head for the speccy and snap the goal to get the crowd up and going.

That basic ethos, he said, was behind his breakout year. Don’t get caught up in who the opposition is, or who is not in your team, and only worry about the crowd if you can get them excited and pump you up.

“I honestly just play for fun and Dimma [Hardwick] talks about that all the time ... I am pretty chilled and, you know, I love playing football and I love winning obviously. And I just love to play the game and just have fun with it.

"I talk to [Indigenous teammates] about it all the time. Obviously, you know us Indigenous boys we are all pretty close. If we had a bad game or he [Maurice Rioli junior] had a bad game, I just give him a talk and just say like, ‘you’re very young, you know you are only going to get better’.
“I can’t explain it, it’s just that chemistry that just connects us. It doesn’t matter where Daniel [Rioli] is from, it doesn’t matter where Marlion [Pickett] is from, we all just come together and just connect. I think it’s just in general Indigenous people we connect.”

Shai Bolton says he would love to play the All-Stars game again.

CREDIT:
Bolton wants the AFL Indigenous All-Stars games, another AFL casualty of COVID-19, to be reinstated as soon as possible.
The chance to play together as Indigenous players was not something that should be lost in the wash of things that have disappeared with COVID-19 ripping through the competition, he said.
“It would be good [to play the All-Stars game again]. The first time I watched it I was in Perth. Shedder [Shane Edwards] was talking about it that they were considering it [coming back], I’m not too sure. It would be good if it did.”
It is the idea of playing together like you are a kid and thrilling the crowd with a mark or a goal that excites Bolton.

Behaving on instinct has its limitations. Bolton last year got in a fracas in a nightclub and broke his wrist when he jumped in to defend teammate Rioli after another patron had insulted Rioli’s girlfriend then hit Rioli.
Bolton instinctively intervened to defend his teammate. He and Richmond

were later fined $20,000 by the AFL because Bolton had “exacerbated the situation not de-escalated it”. Instructively Richmond did not punish Bolton.

Bolton did not want to talk about that night and its aftermath, which was one of the moments that punctuated an extraordinary season for him. It was a season in which he won mark of the year for his effort against Geelong in round eight but bizarrely was not voted in as mark of the round in the popular vote of fans.

Richmond is a big club but the weight of Collingwood numbers voting for their forward Brody Mihocek originally saw the Magpie getting the nod as mark of the round. An AFL rule allowed Bolton to still be eligible to win mark of the year.

“Everyone at home was trying to vote for me. I think the only one who was really excited was probably my mum. My family are pretty chilled, so they don’t say much about it, and they’ve seen me take speccies since I was a kid.

“But my mum, when I’d first done it, she was very excited. When it didn’t make mark of the week she was like ‘what!’

“I didn’t really take much notice of it, I knew it was a better mark! But it kind of just goes quick in AFL football, you move on to the next thing, the next game, and you’ve got to think about other stuff.”

He later won the mark of the year and edged out teammate Jack Riewoldt, which plainly gave him great pleasure on the awards night. “Maybe next time mate,” he smiled patronisingly.

Bolton unashamedly loves the adrenalin of the stage and delivering the big mark or goal.
“It’s a hard one to know [which is more fun]. You kick a pretty good goal and the crowd goes wild. I reckon both – the crowd get into you and it hypes you up a bit more.
“I kind of just jump at the ball and if I see someone there it’s like I just go at the ball, I don’t think ‘oh I’m going to jump on your back’.
“Sometimes I feel like that adrenalin when you get that run up and you just know that you’re gonna jump on someone’s head but the thing is you have got to mark it or sometimes it slips out so you think about the mark.

“Every time when I feel like I’m going to jump on someone I get excited. But that’s been in me since I was little. I loved taking screamers when I was in junior football. I tried to do it as much as I can. But, obviously, now football, AFL sometimes you got to just stay down.
“The coaching staff and Dimma say the structures are just like a starting point for you and then from there just play footy. I just think about playing football as when I was a kid back at home. Just enjoying it, just having fun. I still do it to this day right now. Playing football, I don’t take it too seriously because I love playing football and it’s just fun for me.
“A lot of Indigenous players play off instinct. And I think they just play like how they used to play back home. It’s just fun. They take structures and stuff seriously, obviously it’s like a big thing, but when you have got the ball in your hand you just want to take the game on. I think it just comes naturally.”

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Reactions: 1 user

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
Totally agree.

Reactions: 1 user