Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Shoe in for the AA?
Or is he too Richmond like for the that club?

Reactions: 6 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Gotta say I enjoyed buckleys’ commentary.

He did keep wanting to talk about how good shai was. (And that Pickett did a great fair bump)
Me too, and I thought he’d be awful. Give him a year or two more out of the game, though and he’ll be as bad and clueless as the rest of them.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Bucks today rolled out that Collingwood intended to take him with the very next pick.

The best thing about that (aside from getting to watch Shai play every week), is that must have annoyed the Pies so much they stuffed their next pick up. Sam McClarty never played a game of AFL footy haha, yet we have Shai to keep trotting out for the next 10 years :D

• Love

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
If you were to redo the 2016 draft, I reckon it would be conceivable to have Shai at Pick 1 and Tom Stewart at Pick 2. There are a lot of average players in this list. The perfect draft for us to trade for Prestia, Caddy, Nank and draft Bolton.

1652772054879.png

Reactions: 1 users

amc11

Tiger Rookie
Dec 7, 2018
@caesar thought you might be interested in this article.

Indigenous Sport Month: Richmond star Shai Bolton’s new tattoo and how he gave the Tigers a spark during Dusty’s absence​

In a rare interview, Richmond livewire Shai Bolton opens up on taking screamers, Dustin Martin’s influence and the importance of his culture.
On the left side of Shai Bolton’s neck there is a small tattoo of a rocket ship taking off.
Across a desk at Richmond’s Punt Rd headquarters, he laughs off a suggestion that the symbol may be related to his incredible leaping ability.

But there isn’t any other explanation given, either.

“I just thought it would be a nice tattoo,” Bolton said.

The tattoo was not there when the talented Tiger used Geelong’s Mark Blicavs as a step ladder at the MCG in Round 8 last year to take the 2021 AFL Mark of the Year.

That was one of two Mark of the Year nominations Bolton received last season, with the 175cm forward not afraid to launch over opponents whenever he sees fit.

“We do stuff in the gym, power work on the legs. But I’ve always had that leaping ability,” Bolton said.

“I always like to try and take a screamer when I can, when there’s opportunities to do that. I’ve been doing that since I played my college football back home.”

Shai Bolton won the AFL Mark of the Year for this grab in Round 8, 2021. Picture: Michael Klein

Shai Bolton won the AFL Mark of the Year for this grab in Round 8, 2021. Picture: Michael Klein
Home for the 23-year-old was on the other side of the country, with Bolton having grown up in Perth before spending his teenage years in Mandurah in the southern parts of Western Australia.

A proud indigenous Noongar man who descends from the Menang and Willman tribes, he still gets back to the land whenever he can for some hunting and fishing.

Bolton has not forgotten his roots — far from it — and family and culture remain an important part of his life.

However, he is now happily settled in Melbourne with his partner Hasina and last year inked a two-year contract extension with the Tigers until the end of 2023.

“I think staying in Melbourne you appreciate home more,” Bolton said.

“I didn’t really want to go back, to be honest. I like my life over here and my partner likes it here. My family come over when they can so I get to see them. There hasn’t really been any homesickness or anything. I just want to play at Richmond.”

Shai Bolton has a new rocket ship tattoo on his neck. Picture: Getty Images

Bolton has found a home away from home at Punt Rd, enhanced by strong indigenous representation at the club.

When he was drafted at pick 29 in the 2016 national draft, there were three indigenous players on Richmond’s list.

The group now numbers eight, with Bolton joining Shane Edwards, Matthew Parker, Marlion Pickett, Daniel Rioli, Maurice Rioli Jnr, Sydney Stack and Rhyan Mansell.

The group might hail from different corners of the country, but they share a tight connection through culture.

“We’re always together no matter what,” Bolton said.

“Sometimes we have a barbecue together and just bring our partners and all our families together and just spend a bit of time with each other. On our day off we might go play basketball together.

“It doesn’t matter what tribe we are from, we are always connected and we always relate somehow.”

The indigenous group of players has not been Bolton’s only strong connection at Punt Rd.

When the young West Australian was drafted to the Tigers, the club’s biggest star — Dustin Martin — took notice.

“He looked after me when I first got here and put me under his wing,” Bolton said.

“I still pinch myself that I’m playing with one of the best players in the league.”

Shai Bolton has become a Richmond fan favourite with the spark he provides. Picture: Michael Klein

Shai Bolton has become a Richmond fan favourite with the spark he provides. Picture: Michael Klein
It is fitting that six seasons on, Bolton was the one who stepped up in Martin’s absence from football this year.

Martin missed six games as he mourned the passing of his father, Shane, and Bolton has blossomed into being Richmond’s top-rated player by Champion Data this season.

“With Dusty gone, he (Bolton) was that guy in the forward line that had to create the spark,” Tigers teammate Nick Vlastuin said.

“But now with Dusty back, he probably gets the third or fourth defender. Then he’s playing some midfield time as well. He’s still building his tank, but he’s pretty handy.”

Growing up, Bolton looked up to former Hawthorn forward Cyril Rioli for his unbelievable skills, as well as Fremantle small Michael Walters for his strong pressure game.

He likes to think he has taken elements of both small forwards into his own game, while he is also working on adding some more midfield prowess.

“When you’re in the midfield you’re around the ball and it’s exciting,” Bolton said.

“There’s still things for me to improve on but it’s been good in the midfield and just learning off people like Dion Prestia.”

Shai Bolton has a close bond with Richmond superstar Dustin Martin. Picture: Michael Klein

Shai Bolton has a close bond with Richmond superstar Dustin Martin. Picture: Michael Klein
Like a rocket ship, Richmond coach Damien Hardwick believes the sky is the limit for Bolton.

“He is a challenge for people to play on,” Hardwick said.

“At ground level he can do things that not many players can and then you look at him aerially as well and he’s exactly the same. He can go in the stoppage and if you sit off him, he’ll hurt you. But then one-on-one he is quite damaging up forward also. We’re very fortunate to have players like Shai who can make things happen.”

Bolton got nerves before games early in his career — but not anymore.

He lives for big moments on the field and loves playing in front of big crowds at the MCG, just like there will be for the Dreamtime game on Saturday.

“I just go out there to have fun. Play for fun,” Bolton said.

“I think that’s the way I play my best football.”

BRILLIANT BOLTON

2022 Averages and rankings

19 disposals (Average)

9.7 contested possession (Above Average)

385 metres gained (Above Average)

7.6 score involvements (Elite)

2.0 goals (Elite)

89 ranking points (Above Average)

*Source: Champion Data

Originally published as Indigenous Sport Month: Richmond star Shai Bolton’s new tattoo and how he gave the Tigers a spark during Dusty’s absence

• Love
Reactions: 15 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
@caesar thought you might be interested in this article.

Indigenous Sport Month: Richmond star Shai Bolton’s new tattoo and how he gave the Tigers a spark during Dusty’s absence​

In a rare interview, Richmond livewire Shai Bolton opens up on taking screamers, Dustin Martin’s influence and the importance of his culture.
On the left side of Shai Bolton’s neck there is a small tattoo of a rocket ship taking off.
Across a desk at Richmond’s Punt Rd headquarters, he laughs off a suggestion that the symbol may be related to his incredible leaping ability.

But there isn’t any other explanation given, either.

“I just thought it would be a nice tattoo,” Bolton said.

The tattoo was not there when the talented Tiger used Geelong’s Mark Blicavs as a step ladder at the MCG in Round 8 last year to take the 2021 AFL Mark of the Year.

That was one of two Mark of the Year nominations Bolton received last season, with the 175cm forward not afraid to launch over opponents whenever he sees fit.

“We do stuff in the gym, power work on the legs. But I’ve always had that leaping ability,” Bolton said.

“I always like to try and take a screamer when I can, when there’s opportunities to do that. I’ve been doing that since I played my college football back home.”

Home for the 23-year-old was on the other side of the country, with Bolton having grown up in Perth before spending his teenage years in Mandurah in the southern parts of Western Australia.

A proud indigenous Noongar man who descends from the Menang and Willman tribes, he still gets back to the land whenever he can for some hunting and fishing.

Bolton has not forgotten his roots — far from it — and family and culture remain an important part of his life.

However, he is now happily settled in Melbourne with his partner Hasina and last year inked a two-year contract extension with the Tigers until the end of 2023.

“I think staying in Melbourne you appreciate home more,” Bolton said.

“I didn’t really want to go back, to be honest. I like my life over here and my partner likes it here. My family come over when they can so I get to see them. There hasn’t really been any homesickness or anything. I just want to play at Richmond.”

Bolton has found a home away from home at Punt Rd, enhanced by strong indigenous representation at the club.

When he was drafted at pick 29 in the 2016 national draft, there were three indigenous players on Richmond’s list.

The group now numbers eight, with Bolton joining Shane Edwards, Matthew Parker, Marlion Pickett, Daniel Rioli, Maurice Rioli Jnr, Sydney Stack and Rhyan Mansell.

The group might hail from different corners of the country, but they share a tight connection through culture.

“We’re always together no matter what,” Bolton said.

“Sometimes we have a barbecue together and just bring our partners and all our families together and just spend a bit of time with each other. On our day off we might go play basketball together.

“It doesn’t matter what tribe we are from, we are always connected and we always relate somehow.”

The indigenous group of players has not been Bolton’s only strong connection at Punt Rd.

When the young West Australian was drafted to the Tigers, the club’s biggest star — Dustin Martin — took notice.

“He looked after me when I first got here and put me under his wing,” Bolton said.

“I still pinch myself that I’m playing with one of the best players in the league.”

It is fitting that six seasons on, Bolton was the one who stepped up in Martin’s absence from football this year.

Martin missed six games as he mourned the passing of his father, Shane, and Bolton has blossomed into being Richmond’s top-rated player by Champion Data this season.

“With Dusty gone, he (Bolton) was that guy in the forward line that had to create the spark,” Tigers teammate Nick Vlastuin said.

“But now with Dusty back, he probably gets the third or fourth defender. Then he’s playing some midfield time as well. He’s still building his tank, but he’s pretty handy.”

Growing up, Bolton looked up to former Hawthorn forward Cyril Rioli for his unbelievable skills, as well as Fremantle small Michael Walters for his strong pressure game.

He likes to think he has taken elements of both small forwards into his own game, while he is also working on adding some more midfield prowess.

“When you’re in the midfield you’re around the ball and it’s exciting,” Bolton said.

“There’s still things for me to improve on but it’s been good in the midfield and just learning off people like Dion Prestia.”

Like a rocket ship, Richmond coach Damien Hardwick believes the sky is the limit for Bolton.

“He is a challenge for people to play on,” Hardwick said.

“At ground level he can do things that not many players can and then you look at him aerially as well and he’s exactly the same. He can go in the stoppage and if you sit off him, he’ll hurt you. But then one-on-one he is quite damaging up forward also. We’re very fortunate to have players like Shai who can make things happen.”

Bolton got nerves before games early in his career — but not anymore.

He lives for big moments on the field and loves playing in front of big crowds at the MCG, just like there will be for the Dreamtime game on Saturday.

“I just go out there to have fun. Play for fun,” Bolton said.

“I think that’s the way I play my best football.”

BRILLIANT BOLTON

2022 Averages and rankings

19 disposals (Average)

9.7 contested possession (Above Average)

385 metres gained (Above Average)

7.6 score involvements (Elite)

2.0 goals (Elite)

89 ranking points (Above Average)

*Source: Champion Data

Originally published as Indigenous Sport Month: Richmond star Shai Bolton’s new tattoo and how he gave the Tigers a spark during Dusty’s absence
Brilliant, great read.
"I just want to play for Richmond" has a good ring to it :) .

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
So apparently you can tackle Shai. Who knew? On the end of a couple of beauties.
Not at his best but still contributed & dangerous as ever.
He should’ve handballed to Lynch rather than turn back into play and try and evade, that’s he got caught.

Feeling Tigerish

Tiger Champion
Apr 11, 2009
Has given Ralph the punt and signed on with a WA based manager, should we be nervous?
Used to get nervous about this type of stuff, but have become quite easy going these days. I’m become a lot more “What will be will be”.

I guess 3 flags will do that to you