Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
Exactly, stop taking on 2 or 3 opponents just to show you can when a teammate is close by, that's lairising and costly when he gets caught. The resulting free kick may send the ball downfield for a possible goal. I like Shai's talent but he is over-doing it and not putting enough value on maintaining team possession.
That last Qtr failed attempt at a dribble kick from the top of the square when he had plenty of time to settle and concentrate on a proper kick was a (smiling) disgrace. He cannot be so wasteful when teammates have worked hard to get the ball down there. His mindset needs to change from me-first to team-first.
I like this. And for me - part of that mindset change needs to be one of embracing a leadership role. Not in the Cotchin sense - more in the Dusty sense - where leadership is more subdued but just as meaningful.

Dusty chooses his moments. And since his footy adolescence was left behind - he has known when to liarise and when to pull back, when to include his team mates and when to go solo. In short - he has still worked to his limitations (few as there are). In a team sport - this is recognised as leadership by other players - even if it is not overtly awarded.

Shai - who I believe is only very slightly less talented than Dusty - needs to become an adult footy player.

Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Time for a word with Shai. Too many cross body kicks and dribblers. Showing the ball off running into goal ? Cmon. Stop lairising.

Reactions: 6 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Time for a word with Shai. Too many cross body kicks and dribblers. Showing the ball off running into goal ? Cmon. Stop lairising.

Agree with all that apart from the ball show. Loved it, the game needs a little spice every now and then. Having said that, doubt Dimma enjoyed it.

Reactions: 3 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
Gave first option a lot more this week. OK game other than the brain fade snap that didn’t make the distance.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Has the ability to be a superstar. But we don’t need the showing the ball rubbish - disrespectful crap. Don’t think I’ve ever seen Dusty do that.

How about kicking the goals from 20 out with a drop punt rather than go round the corner. Use your ability to dominate the game rather than showboat!

Reactions: 7 users

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
I'm old school ... I don't like the showboating
But each to their own
Thankfully Bolton is a GUN player

Reactions: 4 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Agree with all that apart from the ball show. Loved it, the game needs a little spice every now and then. Having said that, doubt Dimma enjoyed it.
Just immaturity from Bolts and it happens at that age, but at least he's got a bit of credit with goalkicking. Dimma's voice sounded hoarse in the presser. Obviously yelled somewhere.

Reactions: 1 user

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
Ok so I rewatched the melee:

Big scrap every player basically in it. Dohhherty included, he is going Lynch for whatever *smile* reason.

As it dies down a little Pickett is dragging a Scum player out of it by the jumper as he has Lynch by the jumper. Dohhherty goes at Pickett and Shai takes exception. Dohhherty goes him. Shai says *smile* off back to your huddle.

He doesn't. He talks *smile* and continued to.

Is it any wonder Shai showed him the pill? Talk smack and you can shove it up your blue crack.

Reactions: 12 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
Dimma did not like that at all.

I didn't either, but probably for different reasons.

He missed a goal running into the goal square last week. Maybe concentrate on what you're doing.

He also missed an easy (for him) snap a minute later.

I don't like the general vibe of his games the last two weeks. Lots of running forward of the ball, and over committing to attack to go with a bit of lairising.

Having said that, you could tell he was consciously looking for the handball option at times today. Must have had a pretty specific feedback session after last week. Good on him for trying to adjust.

Reactions: 5 users

checkside

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2005
Australia
I agree with Redford it’s not a Richmond man thing to do. And I’m sure he’ll be told that. Hardwick said as much after the game.

But, not defending Shai at all, in the 3qtr time scuffle Docherty said something to Shai that he did not like at all, and I reckon that’s why he did it. Not that it makes it okay, but I think it provides a little bit on context.

Reactions: 6 users

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
Shai plays his best footy when he he is switches into the team ethos.
Freakishly good player but I love it when he looks inboard.
The show ball doesn't bother me.
The not going back and kicking a drop punt from 30 infuriates me.

Reactions: 2 users