Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

rensman

interpreter to the stars...
May 6, 2004
North Eastern Victoria
Dodo be on the phone tomorrow
He's only a 23 year old skinny kid and already dominating the comp. Think we have six years before he peaks. And Think about that again! And sit back and thank the good Lord we have a Dusty like "once in a generation player" in the same generation. Wow. We are so blessed to have over a decades and a half worth of dusty and shai watching. Our games should get the biggest crowds even from now on as well. A marvel this kid

Reactions: 4 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
He's only a 23 year old skinny kid and already dominating the comp. Think we have six years before he peaks. And Think about that again! And sit back and thank the good Lord we have a Dusty like "once in a generation player" in the same generation. Wow. We are so blessed to have over a decades and a half worth of dusty and shai watching. Our games should get the biggest crowds even from now on as well. A marvel this kid
Yep and hopefully its not over yet!!

Reactions: 1 user

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
Can’t remember watching a player like Shai Bolton ever before. He is legitimately elite in basically all areas (bar goal kicking). Should have 50+ goals on the board if it wasn’t for poor conversion - probably his only weakness to be honest.

Last edited:

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
35 goals 34 behinds his kicked this year or something to that effect ........................................
Bloody DUD.
Could be leading the Coleman. Could be leading the Brownlow. Tiges could be sitting on top of the ladder instead of scratching to make the 8.

FFS Shai, learn to kick straight n be amazingly brilliant instead of just faffing around n looking pretty.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
What a second half. Who said you need to be 6ft 3 these days to be a clearance machine. If there is a more exciting player to watch in the league i'll be stuffed.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Looks like I was not so well informed. Apart from Cotch and Jack, who is still out of contract for next year?
5​
Unrestricted Free Agent​
3​
Unrestricted Free Agent​
7​
Non-Free Agent​
16​
Unrestricted Free Agent​
4​
Non-Free Agent​
1​
Non-Free Agent​
4​
Non-Free Agent​
6​
Non-Free Agent​
8​
Restricted Free Agent​
4​
Non-Free Agent​
2​
Non-Free Agent​
2​
Unrestricted Free Agent​
2​
Non-Free Agent​
7​
Non-Free Agent​
3​
Non-Free Agent​
4​
Non-Free Agent​
16​
Unrestricted Free Agent​
4​
Non-Free Agent​
15​
Unrestricted Free Agent​
3​
Non-Free Agent​

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
That magic clearance in the last quarter where he emerged from between 2 Brisbane players to blast it in…wow. I still get flashbacks to warrang the dingo navigating a pack of camp dogs on my front stairs without getting touched. That kind of spacial awareness is super human at the very least.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
5​
Unrestricted Free Agent​
3​
Unrestricted Free Agent​
7​
Non-Free Agent​
16​
Unrestricted Free Agent​
4​
Non-Free Agent​
1​
Non-Free Agent​
4​
Non-Free Agent​
6​
Non-Free Agent​
8​
Restricted Free Agent​
4​
Non-Free Agent​
2​
Non-Free Agent​
2​
Unrestricted Free Agent​
2​
Non-Free Agent​
7​
Non-Free Agent​
3​
Non-Free Agent​
4​
Non-Free Agent​
16​
Unrestricted Free Agent​
4​
Non-Free Agent​
15​
Unrestricted Free Agent​
3​
Non-Free Agent​
Bauer's contracted for next year.

This. He is a great player but he is still missing way too many easy goals. 2.5 yesterday should have been 5.2 or 6.1
It's funny. Prior to the game yesterday I had this feeling Shai was going to kick 7.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Bauer's contracted for next year.

It's funny. Prior to the game yesterday I had this feeling Shai was going to kick 7.
He's a gun so I expect a lot from him. I reckon only one of his seven shots was reasonably difficult. A couple he missed were absolute sodas. It's not just Shai but it appears an affliction with many of his team mates as well (except Cumbo). Missing easy goals is the reason we are 9th and not in the top 4 right now.

But very glad Shai is ours.

wigglyworm

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 22, 2008
Can’t remember watching a player like Shai Bolton ever before. He is legitimately elite in basically all areas (bar goal kicking). Should have 50+ goals on the board if it wasn’t for poor conversion - probably his only weakness to be honest.
KB

Reactions: 1 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
He's a gun so I expect a lot from him. I reckon only one of his seven shots was reasonably difficult. A couple he missed were absolute sodas. It's not just Shai but it appears an affliction with many of his team mates as well (except Cumbo). Missing easy goals is the reason we are 9th and not in the top 4 right now.

But very glad Shai is ours.
Shai has a technical flaw with his ball drop that unfortunately don’t think can be fixed.
It can be improved if he takes a little more time to settle but he doesn’t guide the ball onto his boot like the good crumbers do when snapping from angles. Less pronounced when kicking straight set shots for goal.
We’ll have to settle for only a genius

Reactions: 1 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Shai has a technical flaw with his ball drop that unfortunately don’t think can be fixed.
It can be improved if he takes a little more time to settle but he doesn’t guide the ball onto his boot like the good crumbers do when snapping from angles. Less pronounced when kicking straight set shots for goal.
We’ll have to settle for only a genius
Yes his ball drop is very high and is a flaw that contributes to his goal kicking issues. I don't see why it is something that can't be fixed though? He also kicks it very high when snapping; that one he missed in the 2nd quarter went higher than the scoreboard.

However, for as genius as he is, I would contend much of the goal kicking issue is above the shoulders. Witness his missed set shot from 20m out in first quarter versus the one he nailed from near 50m in the second quarter. Not as much expectation on the second shot.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Yes his ball drop is very high and is a flaw that contributes to his goal kicking issues. I don't see why it is something that can't be fixed though? He also kicks it very high when snapping; that one he missed in the 2nd quarter went higher than the scoreboard.

However, for as genius as he is, I would contend much of the goal kicking issue is above the shoulders. Witness his missed set shot from 20m out in first quarter versus the one he nailed from near 50m in the second quarter. Not as much expectation on the second shot.
Very difficult to change someone’s ball drop at senior level. It becomes innate.
Like a golf swing, it takes 1000s of practice shots to make incremental changes.
But it can be improved.
And yes above the shoulders has a lot to do with it. Just ask Richo