Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Exactly Tigerdave.

And next year we address backline needs!

Rioli and Shai forward are going to feed off each other and with their pressure are not only going to score goals themselves but their perceived pressure with create score assists.

Can see this kid playing early .

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
Why are people so worried about the 'go home' factor when he has been at pains to point out that he for one will not be affected by it? ???

ahyeahnah

Tiger Superstar
Aug 14, 2016
easy said:
give him No.29

Im stoked.

this telegraphs a new direction for the Tiges IMO.

:partyfest

next year we load up on KPPs
I agree and we go to next years draft with two first rounders before any pre draft negotiations. Bolton and Graham are very good picks and I was amazed that Graham go to pick 58, I had him in the 20-25 range hoping he would slip to 27

E

easy_tiger

tonemaster said:
He's got really long arms. That's very important in an on-baller.

Long arms make players taller without the weight. Means they can be more agile, faster, and mark over their opponents who are the same height but don't have the reach.

yeah long arms are very good. Dusty has a big wing span.

plenty of little black fellas seem to too. Gives 'em that jangly bouncy menacing-around-goals presence.

Dyer'ere said:
I think we had a great draft, e,t.

BTW see the side changing? Rioli and Oleg joined by Bolton? Shame we didn't trade into this draft. Could've rebuilt our future this and next year. But I digress to a whinge.

I think we had a great draft. :love

I think youve earnt the right to a little whingy digression Capn.

But yeah. I think the pick of $hai represents a big trench in the sand.

It says *smile* this *smile*, we're gonna go down swinging. and dodging. and weaving. and standing on *smile* heads.

I love it. My whole weekend feels like a fiesta-type situation.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Rancey18 said:
Why are people so worried about the 'go home' factor when he has been at pains to point out that he for one will not be affected by it? ???
being at boarding school for 3 years is good grounding,

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Let's call him Lightning

usain%2Bbolt%2Bfrankie%2Bpose.jpg

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
At this stage in proceedings, it seems Bolton has a pretty determined attitude and a strong work ethic to succeed.
Let's hope that translates to him being a very good player for RFC over many seasons.

linuscambridge

Tiger Superstar
Jul 13, 2004
I'm very happy with this pick. Every player outside the top 3 comes with a risk, but in terms of potential reward Shai is huge.

We always look for players with AFL attributes in the draft and it's hard to pick who will be able to make the big step up from juniors to the AFl. But there is no question whether or not Shai has the skill to make it at the next level.

A guy like Shai you have to ask will he be able to find it in the AFL and will he then have the time to weave his magic for the Tigers. I have no idea, but if you compare him at Conca at 6 then you surely can't deny he was a good selection well into the second round of the draft.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
ToraToraTora said:
Kicks em funny. Seems to want to lob em at blokes. No issues with movement. Slicker'n pelican poo.

Might be a big question mark for AFL level footy. Highlights reel shows he leans way out sideways on a lot of kicks. Might mean they chase the body n it leaves him free to swing through his natural kicking motion.
The lob kick might be perfect for a forward on the lead if he can drop it into the running path, waste of a kick if he lands it on the forwards head as defenders will come over the top every time.

Kids got some serious pace n moves, def won't be boring to watch him play footy, at still 17 he's extreme bottom age so there's plenty of physical growth n development to come for Shai. Look forward to watching this kid come along, if he shows similar to a few Rioli's that play the game he'll be a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
With Shai, he was flashy but largely missing in the big games for most of the season. Small. Little bit of hit and hope with the kicks.

But he kept trending up in numbers. And by the Judd v O'Loughlin game he was flying. (Close to BoG in that.) And then you realise he was the youngest player in every game you watched. The trajectory got more important.

He's a baby, and a skinny one, blossoming late in the U18 season.

If we'd traded into this draft we'd have Petrevski-Seton (not Taranto - phew!), Parfitt (Bully was always right about him), Rotham too . And Bolton. So Shai fits into a plan for the future.

As it stands we got only the Bolton part of the plan and that's the risky part. But the payoff will be great if he can go on with it. I think he will.

You take your chances and you draft Shai Bolton.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Most people really dont realise how much difference 8/9 months makes at this age, Shai is a baby and wait until you see him in 12 months time he will be 3/4 cm taller and 5 kgs heavier playing against men and training with pro's.

I really do see alot of Peter Matera like instinctive movements in Shai as well as M.Walters like mannerisms in his running

ahyeahnah

Tiger Superstar
Aug 14, 2016
turk-d-tiger said:
Most people really dont realise how much difference 8/9 months makes at this age, Shai is a baby and wait until you see him in 12 months time he will be 3/4 cm taller and 5 kgs heavier playing against men and training with pro's.

I really do see alot of Peter Matera like instinctive movements in Shai as well as M.Walters like mannerisms in his running
Totally agree with these comparisons

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Dyer'ere said:
With Shai, he was flashy but largely missing in the big games for most of the season. Small. Little bit of hit and hope with the kicks.

But he kept trending up in numbers. And by the Judd v O'Loughlin game he was flying. (Close to BoG in that.) And then you realise he was the youngest player in every game you watched. The trajectory got more important.

He's a baby, and a skinny one, blossoming late in the U18 season.

If we'd traded into this draft we'd have Petrevski-Seton (not Taranto - phew!), Parfitt (Bully was always right about him), Rotham too . And Bolton. So Shai fits into a plan for the future.

As it stands we got only the Bolton part of the plan and that's the risky part. But the payoff will be great if he can go on with it. I think he will.

You take your chances and you draft Shai Bolton.
It's a damn shame us supporters are so impatient that we traded out of the deepest draft in memory. Clarke would have taken Scrimshaw though, not Petrevski-Seton.

Not sure Shai didn't show in the big games. He was terrific against the Allies, good in the other Champs game I caught, and kicked four goals in each of his two Colts finals.

There's no guarantee he'll grow any taller, Turk. Not that it matters.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
spook said:
It's a damn shame us supporters are so impatient that we traded out of the deepest draft in memory. Clarke would have taken Scrimshaw though, not Petrevski-Seton.

Not sure Shai didn't show in the big games. He was terrific against the Allies, good in the other Champs game I caught, and kicked four goals in each of his two Colts finals.

There's no guarantee he'll grow any taller, Turk. Not that it matters.

More chance of getter taller than shorter though