Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
There was a clearance in one of the reals where he roved the tap and found space to weave between 3 players at very close quarters. It was astoundingly good. Genuine talent

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
DirtyDogTiger said:
DOB 8/12/98

He's a child, DDT.

A must-get for the 2016 AFL ND IMO.

Risk. But you had to take it. NB finished the year strongly.

Good get, MC.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Nice. Small but nice. Not sure if this is our biggest need but we did get 2 100 gamers in the mid and jack g at 2nd pick so that is close to 3 new mids round one. Shai will get a run next year too.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
fastin bulbous said:
There was a clearance in one of the reals where he roved the tap and found space to weave between 3 players at very close quarters. It was astoundingly good. Genuine talent

Did you see the insane handball behind his back? No one knew what was going on, followed it up into the square and kicked the goal. Some trick.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
I really cant believe the negativity about Shai Bolton in this thread :eek:

The first time i watched this kids highlights i said wow, His playing style reminded me of 2 player and they are so different to each other but i seen similarities

1st player was michael walters from fremantle with some of the work he does around goal
2nd player , Glimpses of Peter Matera when hes running down the wing and through the middle

Cant believe this kid is still 17 and only turns 18 in 2 weeks, Effectively being 1 of the youngest if not the youngest player of the draft, He would have been a top 10 player next year with another year of development,experience and growth

Chances are that he will end up being 180/182 and 77/78 kgs which is perfect height weight for a wingman or small foward
also being at bording school for 3 years will do him wonders in adapting and having Rioli & Edwards as well as X as a development coach is all fantastic for Bolton

Really starting to like the assition of real speed to our team now with the inclusions of the last 3 years
Markov,Rioli,Bolton,Drummond,McIntosh,Menadue,Short,Butler are all very quick players

Reactions: 1 user

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
More tricks than Rioli but gee I can't wait too see this dynamic duo reek havoc in 2017 and beyond!

Juffaricho

"Pressure wins Premierships"
Oct 26, 2007
At AFL level small forwards who can kick the ball on the run at top speed over 50m (without slowing slightly to get balanced) and who can stop on a dime and get ball to foot in a split second have a big advantage cos' the tackle then comes just a fraction of a second after disposal.
He looks like he can do both. Time will tell if he can find the ball at that level, but if he can, then he shouldn't be caught.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Apparently good enough to be top 20 in the draft, but clubs were spooked on the "go home" factor.
Let's see what happens.

asian tetley

Tiger Superstar
Jul 5, 2012
Leysy Days said:
Easily the best of our picks. The one leysy likes.
Certainly the most skilled.
Handy around goal, looks like he can make something out of nothing.
On the downside he's lightly built, and we have the go home factor to contend with should he turn out ok.

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
ToraToraTora said:
Did you see the insane handball behind his back? No one knew what was going on, followed it up into the square and kicked the goal. Some trick.
Looked more like a "Bulldogs throw" so he'll fit right in showing our mids how it's done in Premiership teams! Some say he is small but he is 1cm taller than Cyril and he has his tricks as well. Great pick.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
tigermike said:
Looked more like a "Bulldogs throw" so he'll fit right in showing our mids how it's done in Premiership teams! Some say he is small but he is 1cm taller than Cyril and he has his tricks as well. Great pick.
And 5cm taller than Eddie Betts

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
zippadeee said:
Apparently good enough to be top 20 in the draft, but clubs were spooked on the "go home" factor.
Let's see what happens.
As TdT said he's been at a boarding school for 3 years. I reckon that would be harder to adapt to in your early teens than coming to Melbourne surrounded by people that want you to succeed and having brothers Rioli and Shank and now Clarke on board. Rioli will help a lot as he's just done it.

I'm comfortable with this one. Good pick.

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
Yep love this vanilla pick...

I think one x factor in Rioli isn't enough, if this kid can over time consistently output high quality and with Rioli, wow.... they could actually embarrass forward lines.. Still think over time Rioli will spend more time in the guts..

Love this pick, they said best available and whether we agree or not with Need most experts including our own junior gurus say he was best available!