Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

Stylo

Tiger Champion
Oct 13, 2012
Wasn’t he the youngest player in his draft year? Just starting to see what this kid has to offer. He could be anything in a few more years ala Michael Walters.

He's only about 3 months older than Jack Higgins

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I don't subscribe to your theory that Shai had a reputation for being selfish, IMO Shai has always brought other players into the game , (quick hands like Edwards and can spot holes where others can't).
Someone said it previously, maybe a case of X Factor mistaken as selfishness.
Apologies, but my rose coloured glasses with Shai has me popping my head up whenever I think his reputation has been tarnished:D

PS. Am struggling with my identity at the moment, not sure whether I am Ralph protecting my boy or Caesar.
Cheers caesar
I too am a big fan, his x factor is through the roof, and he is so exciting to watch.
What i meant by him becoming a team player, is that it's good to see him looking for a teammate if there's one who might be a better option.
I was surprised when he was dropped recently, i thought he was hard done by, but think not all ways looking for a better option may have been the reason.
It was great to see him in the midfield yesterday. After playing midfield in the VFL i don't know why he hasn't been played their much before yesterday.

Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I seen Ralph around the fringes of Stackmans instagram.

If Ralph got Stackman, he'd have quite the stable of enigmatic talented freaks
He already has him. Signed him in 2017 and played funny buggers with the contract last year, resulting in Shai getting a one year deal on what was left in the ashtray.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Why would we even consider trading Shai when he's only just begining to showcase the talent he has? There's very little return for a potential, maybe, could be player.
Kids got more than enough ability to be a very good core player for another ten years or more, he's just barely started doing his apprenticeship at the moment.
by the time Shai, Stacka, Ross have properly established themselves, blokes like Shedda n Cotch will be looking for the comfy slippers n beige cardy.
Would be the height of stupidity to give away any of our next gen of mids.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
What a game. Had the 2nd most metres gained for the Tigers with 492. 5 clearances. Wasn't much in terms of opposition but he's tracking very well.

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
Cant recall his name but he lived with him on and off past 2 years and has be instrumental in Stackys life, can only assume if he is a loyal bloke which id like to assume he is he wont be choosing another agent anytime soon as from what I read which is only mainstream media this bloke has been very good to Syd!

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Blessing in disguise. Not sure I want Bolton in the media 7 weeks away from his contract expiring

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
An article from RFC site:

"He thrived on more time through the midfield, where he used his elite pace and skill set to full advantage for the team."

Surprising that , more midfield time is what I was calling for, (granted it was only against Suns that were worse than VFL level).

James

Tiger Rookie
Sep 11, 2016
A few months back I posted about spending a good deal of time watching vfl last season.
I mentioned both Bolton and Balta as the two most likely to make it at AFL level.
Balta is just about as fast as his mate and is just as athletically gifted.
He looked set for a tryout as a key defender but came off early while playing vfl on Sunday against the dogs.
He has all the talent of Bolton and I am hoping he gets back soon.
Will be interested to hear if he trains this week?

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
A few months back I posted about spending a good deal of time watching vfl last season.
I mentioned both Bolton and Balta as the two most likely to make it at AFL level.
Balta is just about as fast as his mate and is just as athletically gifted.
He looked set for a tryout as a key defender but came off early while playing vfl on Sunday against the dogs.
He has all the talent of Bolton and I am hoping he gets back soon.
Will be interested to hear if he trains this week?

Balta confirmed Quad and on short term injury list.

James

Tiger Rookie
Sep 11, 2016
Balta confirmed Quad and on short term injury list.
Thanks Caesar. Suppose that might take around 2 weeks and given the teams present make up, with Astbury Broad and Grimes on the full-back lime, what do you think of his prospects of playing in September?

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Herald sun today Ralph Mouth reckons the Crows could come hard for him.
Not sure you could let him go......unless it a straight swap for Brady Crouch

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Thanks Caesar. Suppose that might take around 2 weeks and given the teams present make up, with Astbury Broad and Grimes on the full-back lime, what do you think of his prospects of playing in September?
Will make it hard for Balta I reckon if no key position players get injured, ironical that his versatility got him a game when we were trying to put out spot fires everywhere and now he is a victim of that versatility now that we are settling down our line up and through no fault of his own does not have a designated spot to call his own.
I reckon it was the right call to send him back for further development, i think he was getting a bit confused himself with what he was asked to do.

Reactions: 2 users