Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Plays like a 25 year old 150 gamer - he could be anything.

he seems to look like he feels he belongs out there.

I suppose a flag (and Ralph Carr) would do that to a bloke.

yeah he could be anything. Sonny Walters seems like his floor to me right now.

Gresat game. He cost me the margin on that last lazy kick though so I was a bit dirty at the end!

yes that was an exceptionally laconic (the name you use for lazy when someone is really *smile* good) kick.

But the thing with mercurial, laconic, unfathomable, freaks like Richo, $hai, George,

is the sooner in their career you reconcile yourself with the unpredictable flaws,

the more you'll enjoy them.

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
We only scratched the surface of Shai last year.

He’s shown the ability to go into the midfield as in rounds 16-19 last year he had disposals of 22, 26 & 29 disposals in consecutive weeks.

Certainly showed fantastic goal sense and agility during games last year.

I’d like to see him played on a wing this year. He could possibly still require some frame bulk for a permanent wing position.

I expect him to flourish in whatever position he plays in. I honestly think he’d finish our season as our number 1 small forward if given the remainder of the home and away to purely play there.

Reactions: 4 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Like many of us I have spent the lockdown period watching plenty of tiger games.
When comparing 2017 to 2019 one area that we have definitely improved is forward. One aspect of that is Lynch but this bloke is definitely an upgrade on Butler.
The addition of Bolton, Stack and Pickett has also added enormously to the skill level and X factor we have around the ball.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
We only scratched the surface of Shai last year.

He’s shown the ability to go into the midfield as in rounds 16-19 last year he had disposals of 22, 26 & 29 disposals in consecutive weeks.

Certainly showed fantastic goal sense and agility during games last year.

I’d like to see him played on a wing this year. He could possibly still require some frame bulk for a permanent wing position.

I expect him to flourish in whatever position he plays in. I honestly think he’d finish our season as our number 1 small forward if given the remainder of the home and away to purely play there.
He has fantastic evasive skill and great speed. He also has a great feel for the game and exquisite timing. He is a the best of this type since Kevin Bartlett and will spend much of this season in the midfield.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
He's corrected the team part of his game now - I reckon some of those selfish incidents early in his career were called out by other players and coaches and he got the message. Now he looks for players in a better position as well as doing the freakishly skilled stuff. Looks on the up.

Reactions: 1 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
He's corrected the team part of his game now - I reckon some of those selfish incidents early in his career were called out by other players and coaches and he got the message. Now he looks for players in a better position as well as doing the freakishly skilled stuff. Looks on the up.

Yep.

Could be anything, supremely talented.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

There was a play last year I think. Forget the game but Bolton took a brilliant mark over a couple of opponents. Landed on his feet and instead of holding the ball up and taking the glory, he dished off a handball super quick to a team mate in space. It was that moment that I was convinced that Shai has bought into the club mantra.

He will be special

Reactions: 2 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Still scratched the surface in his game.Doesn't need a heap of possessions to have a impact and rarely waste the ball in hand.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
There was a play last year I think. Forget the game but Bolton took a brilliant mark over a couple of opponents. Landed on his feet and instead of holding the ball up and taking the glory, he dished off a handball super quick to a team mate in space. It was that moment that I was convinced that Shai has bought into the club mantra.

He will be special

not to mention the brilliant mark above two players then the quick play-on to Lynch free, who kicks the goal in the Brisbane final. If you watch the footage you can see Edwards on the sideline smirking as Shai takes the mark.

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Bolton got 2 x 25+ touch games 2 weeks in a row last year. Plus kicked at least a goal in both.
Pretty darn good stats for a young half forward, in fact they are amazing stats.
Sure, the Gold Coast game was a walkover, but the Giants were competitive.
He has potential to play more mid and possibly on the wing.

Reactions: 1 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
I thought a seminal moment for him came in the GF. He took a huge hit for the team that would have hurt. He could have shirked it, but he knew what was coming and he took it. We kept the ball moving forward because of what he did. It sure earned my respect.

Reactions: 9 users