Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Probably why Ralphy will keep us on tenterhooks well into next year rather than rushing an extension of his contract.
Ralphy said on SEN today people are knocking but why would Shai go anywhere else :D

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Ralphy said on SEN today people are knocking but why would Shai go anywhere else :D
Heard that too. ‘Wears KBs number why would he leave.
You should be proud of your boy Caesar. You pumped him up all
Pre season.
Top 4 in a premiership year.

Here it is for PREnders who missed it.

Last edited:

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Heard that too. ‘Wears KBs number why would he leave.
You should be proud of your boy Caesar. You pumped him up all
Pre season.
Top 4 in a premiership year.

Here it is for PREnders who missed it.

From his manager
Hmm @lolnorf offered Dustin $11 million over 7 years.
Then Adelaide (via Riccuito) matched it.

Dustin made the right decision staying for far less. The team and personal success has seen his sponsorships and endorsements earn him approx $1 million pa. on top of his football contract

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
after watching the replay Bolton was better than I thought. huge game.

Reactions: 12 users

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Was interesting to hear Matt Rendell on Trade Radio yesterday say that Collingwood was all-in on Shai in his draft year, but that Richmond snaffled him just before Collingwood's next pick. Lucky Shai ... !

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Was interesting to hear Matt Rendell on Trade Radio yesterday say that Collingwood was all-in on Shai in his draft year, but that Richmond snaffled him just before Collingwood's next pick. Lucky Shai ... !
Rendell would not have drafted Shai. He is Aboriginal.

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
Rendell seems like a massive FIGJAM. Really rates himself based on whenever I hear him speak. His Open Mike episode a few weeks ago only further confirmed this for me.

Reactions: 2 users

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
And he outlined how we arsed our list and small forward line...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
And he outlined how we arsed our list and small forward line...
Yeah, what was that all about? Is that the new narrative? I think he said we 'fluked' our small forward line.

It's an odd proposition given Bolton didn't play in the 2017 flag but Castagna, Rioli, Lambert and Butler did.

To give him the benefit of the doubt, perhaps he simply meant we'd run out of options and ran with the small forward line in lieu of satisfactory second/third talls.

My memory is that the small forward line was a deliberate ploy, based on pressure and ground ball wins, and there was nothing flukey about it.

Butler playing throughout the season from round 1, on the back of an average 2016 in the VFL, supports that notion.

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yeah, what was that all about? Is that the new narrative? I think he said we 'fluked' our small forward line.

It's an odd proposition given Bolton didn't play in the 2017 flag but Castagna, Rioli, Lambert and Butler did.

To give him the benefit of the doubt, perhaps he simply meant we'd run out of options and ran with the small forward line in lieu of satisfactory second/third talls.

My memory is that the small forward line was a deliberate ploy, based on pressure and ground ball wins, and there was nothing flukey about it.

Butler playing throughout the season from round 1, on the back of an average 2016 in the VFL, supports that notion.

I have read that Richmond did have the view that only having one tall forward was not enough to win a flag.

But, in 2017, one of the best things Richmond ever did was to play to a plan which revolved around our players' strengths. Hence the forward line which had more smalls than you would normally go with. It really was an act of genius to adapt to our players rather than lamenting deficiencies and waiting until they could recruit to fill the gaps. Not flukey at all, just smart thinking.

DS

Reactions: 10 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Rendell seems like a massive FIGJAM. Really rates himself based on whenever I hear him speak. His Open Mike episode a few weeks ago only further confirmed this for me.

Rendell on SEN on several occasions now has publicly thanked the Richmond Football Club for saving the game in the positive and forward offensive way we play the game so he is alright in my books.
His comments on our small forwards is correct, in 2017 by necessity our game plan was adapted because of lack of talls so it was luck that it was forced upon us but was genius in its design .

Reactions: 7 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Rendell on SEN on several occasions now has publicly thanked the Richmond Football Club for saving the game in the positive and forward offensive way we play the game so he is alright in my books.
His comments on our small forwards is correct, in 2017 by necessity our game plan was adapted because of lack of talls so it was luck that it was forced upon us but was genius in its design .
Yeah I think we had intended to play both Jack and Griffens as key forwards but Griffens quit to go to college in the US with hopes of an NFL career. Is that right?

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I have read that Richmond did have the view that only having one tall forward was not enough to win a flag.

But, in 2017, one of the best things Richmond ever did was to play to a plan which revolved around our players' strengths. Hence the forward line which had more smalls than you would normally go with. It really was an act of genius to adapt to our players rather than lamenting deficiencies and waiting until they could recruit to fill the gaps. Not flukey at all, just smart thinking.

DS

This has been at the forefront of why we have been so good for 4 years. Sure people day, system, system, system but in general what we have done is identified our players strengths and have played a style that suits them. Ie. players came first then gameplan. A lot of other failing clubs do it the opposite and then have to fit round pegs in square holes.

Our targeted recruiting of small forwards for several years has shown this to be a direct talent acquisition strategy rather than any sort of fluke.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
It is a g
This has been at the forefront of why we have been so good for 4 years. Sure people day, system, system, system but in general what we have done is identified our players strengths and have played a style that suits them. Ie. players came first then gameplan. A lot of other failing clubs do it the opposite and then have to fit round pegs in square holes.

Our targeted recruiting of small forwards for several years has shown this to be a direct talent acquisition strategy rather than any sort of fluke.
It is an interesting thought. Perhaps our 4-year reign was on the back of an accident - that the success of the small forward line, immense pressure hat led to forward half turnovers simply came via a career-ending concussion call on Ben Griffiths.

Reactions: 2 users

kyuss

Tiger Superstar
May 13, 2012
after watching the replay Bolton was better than I thought. huge game.
There were probably a couple of players that were better than him, but its the big moments from Dusty that sealed the deal.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Prestia gave him a big wrap on the Ch9 Grand Final show on Sunday. Basically said him stepping into the midfiled in the 3rd term shifted the game in our favour.
Said he's going to be a great player for the Tiges. Heck he is already with 2 Premierships!

Reactions: 9 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
There were probably a couple of players that were better than him, but its the big moments from Dusty that sealed the deal.

Dusty did his job , but the other blokes lifted he led by example as topline players do and the rest go up a notch, can't say we didn't look a different team after half time.