Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Rendell on SEN on several occasions now has publicly thanked the Richmond Football Club for saving the game in the positive and forward offensive way we play the game so he is alright in my books.
His comments on our small forwards is correct, in 2017 by necessity our game plan was adapted because of lack of talls so it was luck that it was forced upon us but was genius in its design .
Yes, that's my take on it. McBean, Elton, Vickery and Griffiths all departed within a couple of years of each other, the cupboard was bare.

Reactions: 1 users

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Yeah, what was that all about? Is that the new narrative? I think he said we 'fluked' our small forward line.

It's an odd proposition given Bolton didn't play in the 2017 flag but Castagna, Rioli, Lambert and Butler did.

To give him the benefit of the doubt, perhaps he simply meant we'd run out of options and ran with the small forward line in lieu of satisfactory second/third talls.

My memory is that the small forward line was a deliberate ploy, based on pressure and ground ball wins, and there was nothing flukey about it.

Butler playing throughout the season from round 1, on the back of an average 2016 in the VFL, supports that notion.

Good post, #Eight

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Rendell seems like a massive FIGJAM. Really rates himself based on whenever I hear him speak. His Open Mike episode a few weeks ago only further confirmed this for me.

Trouble maker
Destroyed relationships at Adelaide and now at Collingwood.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Yes, that's my take on it. McBean, Elton, Vickery and Griffiths all departed within a couple of years of each other, the cupboard was bare.
There should be a statue of Griffens.
If he didn't leave, we wouldn't be where we are today

• Haha

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Also said that collingwood had the next pick and they had Bolton in their sights
The thing is would Shai have blossomed like he has with any other club? It takes a special atmosphere and culture to nurture and bring the best out on a player and we have it unlike many other clubs who seem to enjoy imploding

Reactions: 2 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Also said that collingwood had the next pick and they had Bolton in their sights

You gotta feel sorry for the Pies No4 they selected Sam McLarty at pick 30 -Delisted without playing a senior game.

Last edited:
  • Haha

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
The thing is would Shai have blossomed like he has with any other club? It takes a special atmosphere and culture to nurture and bring the best out on a player and we have it unlike many other clubs who seem to enjoy imploding
I had written him off two years ago as a bust. Credit to both club and player.

• Wow

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015

Shai was always going to be a player, that was pretty obvious from viewing him live in the under 18 championships at Punt Road. No doubt he has thrived in our environment and development, has lost none of his flair whilst rounding out his game.
Still would have been a player elsewhere but nice to believe, rightly or wrongly, that only the RFC could bring out the best version of himself :)

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
Rendell seems to make a lot of these types of comments. Also reckons he had Neale in his sights when at Adelaide but got trumped by Freo late in the draft.

Before Neale got selected he picked Sam Kerridge, Mitch Grigg and Nicholas Joyce. Must not have rated him that highly then...

• Wow
  • Haha

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
There should be a statue of Griffens.
I'm keen on my horse racing, in Hong Kong a Griffin is an unraced imported horse. On nearly all occasions they are geldings, I wonder whether Griffo was gelded before he went to the USA;)

• Wow
  • Haha

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
You gotta feel sorry for the Pies No4 they selected Sam McLarty at pick 30 -Delisted without playing a senior game.
a couple of months ago or longer, I did mention this, mention he was playing in some country league. But I love this newspaper article in Nov 2018 "SAM McLARTY was taking in the sights of ancient Pompeii, pondering how so many lives changed so quickly, when his own life altered." I mean no bad stuff for Sam, but can't help wondering what a football team (football departments) misfit they are now.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
After watching the replay for the second and third time reckon he was even better than watching the replay the first time where I thought he was better than watching it live.

After all that reckon he was 2nd best on ground just behind Dusty who just pipped him due to the crazy goals he kicked.

Reactions: 3 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Nice little bit of info from a very good source (close relative) today........

Shai loves it at the Tigers and in his own words "can't ever see himself leaving Richmond for another club".

Now has family living in Melbourne, and his Mum comes over regularly to see him. His Dad is getting his life back together after an addiction battle and Shai is just really happy with life. No inclination to move back to WA whatsoever.

And the best bit......... Collingwood of all clubs, they of the backloaded deals, approached him a couple of weeks ago to sound out if he might be interested in a move. Politely told no.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 13 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
what will we realistically have to pay $hai and Notorious on their next deals (end of 21?) ?

I reckon Ralph rates premierships worth a hundred, hundred and fifty grand a year?

550?

. Collingwood of all clubs, they of the backloaded deals, approached him a couple of weeks ago to sound out if he might be interested in a move. Politely told no.

what was the offer? Eddie promises not to wear the white hood, we'll pay you only slightly less than mason cox, and we wont use pencil on the contract?

I hope our Ralph lost a bit of his milkshake out his nose at the meeting.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
what will we realistically have to pay $hai and Notorious on their next deals (end of 21?) ?

I reckon Ralph rates premierships worth a hundred, hundred and fifty grand a year?

550?

Could be
But the other side of it is where players who are in the midst of a successful team era might elect to sacrifice some of their market potential for the prospect of premierships.